Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times

Advertisements

What's the best place for newbies to Oregon who have significant, genetic problems with the typical range of commonly co-existing complaints - allergies, air pollution sensitivity, migraines, fibromyalgia, asthma, etc.

There's discussion of this on the Eugene forum, and I've met people w/ very similar health concerns - even affecting their economic status.

Apparently, Eugene and Corvallis don't work for everyone. How about Ashland-Medford, Grants Pass, and Bend?

How does the Willamette Valley - as flat and wet as it is with no wind - compare to conditions in the hills around Portland or even Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Here in Bend, people with allergies often react to the pollen from the juniper trees, particularly in spring. While they have cut down on it considerably, outlying areas are still permitted to burn vegetation on certain days in spring and fall, so there can be smoke. Smoke is also a consideration in the valley (including around Eugene) where farmers still burn fields. Practically anywhere in Oregon you could be subjected to wildfire smoke in the summer and fall. While our air in Bend is usually very clean, every so often we have an inversion and air gets trapped around us and can get yucky - maybe a couple of times a year and usually in winter.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
In general, western Oregon is often called "The Allergy Capital of North America" due to the prevalence of common allergens: molds and mildews, grass seed pollen, pine pollen, etc. But it depends on what your specific triggers are. Some allergy-sensitive people have few problems in Oregon, or more commonly, a rather short period of discomfort. The I-5 corridor has the worst air pollution numbers. The worst of the worst is the Rogue River airshed (including Ashland) because of the frequent air inversions that trap pollution at low levels to the ground (read more about it here: Oregon DEQ: Air Quality maintenance area Medford Ashland)

Generally speaking, people with migraines and auto-immune disorders feel more comfortable in continental climates where high-pressure cells are more common and more stable (there is a lot of low pressure in Oregon from Oct. to May). Place like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico or Arizona (not Tucson or Phoenix, though) would have climates more conducive to comfort for such persons.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Generally speaking, people with migraines and auto-immune disorders feel more comfortable in continental climates where high-pressure cells are more common and more stable (there is a lot of low pressure in Oregon from Oct. to May). Place like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico or Arizona (not Tucson or Phoenix, though) would have climates more conducive to comfort for such persons.
I'm not so sure about this. I always thought the frequent thunderstorms that came through Colorado were pretty hard on my migraines. Having lived in both Colorado and Oregon, I don't think my migraines have been any better/worse in one place than the other.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm not so sure about this. I always thought the frequent thunderstorms that came through Colorado were pretty hard on my migraines. Having lived in both Colorado and Oregon, I don't think my migraines have been any better/worse in one place than the other.
The thunderstorms are in the four corners states, due to the Monsoons from late June to August. They do not migrate into Oregon and California (except SE California). I do not like the monsoons, and prefer the endless summers on the West Coast with no rain from June to September.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
The thunderstorms are in the four corners states, due to the Monsoons from late June to August. They do not migrate into Oregon and California (except SE California). I do not like the monsoons, and prefer the endless summers on the West Coast with no rain from June to September.
Very true, which is why I didn't understand the previous post stating that migraine sufferers might be better off in those states! I do know that when the monsoons hit in Colorado, my headaches seemed to occur more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon