Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,311 times

Advertisements

Woop, wrong thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Exclamation Corvallis, OR area's to avoid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
Hello everyone =)

My family is seriously considering relocating to Corvallis, OR. We have been there, and absolutely love the area. We are having a hard time trying to decide on making this move...We would be moving our tattoo business there and would virtually be starting over. There are many pros and cons to the move, for myself, there are more pro's in moving than staying...(it is not a matter of "the grass is greener").

So, one of the things I am interested in knowing is what are the bad areas of Corvallis? One thing I have noticed on this board, is that I have yet to really read anything negative about Corvallis...perhaps I am missing the threads (and i am going to look again in a minute), but I am wondering what some of the negetive things are in the area (in your opinion, of course- I know it is somewhat subjective...).

The positives to me are the schools, low crime rate, diversity, beauty, cost of living while not that much cheaper, is still lower than where I am now, and the unemployment is lower than it is here, and the overall "feel" of the town, the college. Like I said, I have yet to come up with any negetives.....can anyone help??

Thank you in advance!!! =)

I can come up with one big negative you should seriously consider. Corvallis is located in Oregon. Oregon is unfriendly to business in many ways. It has one of the highest tax rates for state income tax in the United States. You won't find about user fees and business fees until you live here and have a business here. I was in business here for 31 years. My oldest son now owns that business. To do his job he has to have several licenses and pass several tests. If he wants to hire a worker he has to hire an older person that is already licensed and wants to move to this town, or he has to hire a younger person and put him an apprenticeship program for four years. He has to pay the state $40 a month to have a worker in this apprenticeship program. He is also told how much he must pay in wages. He can only hire one apprentice at a time. This is just one occupation, the whole state governemnt micro-manages every small business they can. Recently a tax measure was passed that taxes gross sales (not profits) on all corporations, retro active back to the first of 2009. This is like a huge sales tax these businesses didn't know they were going to have to pay. Many of them will be forced to move out of Oregon, many jobs will be lost. All of this was sponsored by the Oregon Teachers Union, but the money will be used to give public employee retiree's a raise in their benefits. Nice state, I'd stay away if I had a choice... I would move if I were younger, I've made Oregon my home for over 70 years. I'm ashamed to admit I live here, but it is still better than California or New York City.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 AM

102 posts, read 338,009 times
Nite Ryder (great handle btw, loved that show)- thank you so much for your valuable input! We will be coming from California...one of my big fears is feeling like I never left in terms of all the taxes, etc. I fell in love with the Corvallis area because of what it seems to offer my kids, and I have heard several things about the taxes up there that is concerning. We have a buddy that is also from California that opened up a shop in Grants Pass- he mentioned that new measure that passed as well and told us that he would have to pay sales tax on everything in his shop that could be removed and that it is a tax he would pay yearly.

We definitely don't want to face a million roadblocks to open our business, and when other businesses are struggling to stay open it hurts us as well (since unemployed people can't afford the "extras" typically).

Again, I really appreciate your input, it really means a lot to me. I am wondering if we should broaden our search a little...

Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There are more than that. I know of three that I have been at before. I just google mapped it and there are 6.
Yeah, but still that seems like a really low number for the population they have. A town that size in TN would have probably have 3 or 4 times as many.

And I wasn't kidding about the bike thing. Everyone there owns a bike. It's crazy. I don't know if I could ever get used to the bike lanes.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM

That is good to know about the bike thing! I am actually really liking the idea of that.....around here no one rides bikes....well, actually, I take that back, around here when you see people on bikes they are usually towing their homes with them on their bokes, most of them are tweekers and are riding bikes because they aren't allowed to drive anymore .

Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 16,024 times
ksorts,

Thinking of moving to Corvallis for many of the same reasons you are, and, as a man with a few tats myself, it would be nice to know some competition was moving to the area to provide a little variaty in choices if we do end up moving there.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Yeah, but still that seems like a really low number for the population they have. A town that size in TN would have probably have 3 or 4 times as many.

And I wasn't kidding about the bike thing. Everyone there owns a bike. It's crazy. I don't know if I could ever get used to the bike lanes.

All Oregon cities have bike lanes. We have lots in Salem and Portland has a bunch too. Corvallis is a great city to bike around in. It's small, compact, and flat. Totally easy to bike to work in Corvallis

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
Nite Ryder (great handle btw, loved that show)- thank you so much for your valuable input! We will be coming from California...one of my big fears is feeling like I never left in terms of all the taxes, etc. I fell in love with the Corvallis area because of what it seems to offer my kids, and I have heard several things about the taxes up there that is concerning. We have a buddy that is also from California that opened up a shop in Grants Pass- he mentioned that new measure that passed as well and told us that he would have to pay sales tax on everything in his shop that could be removed and that it is a tax he would pay yearly.

We definitely don't want to face a million roadblocks to open our business, and when other businesses are struggling to stay open it hurts us as well (since unemployed people can't afford the "extras" typically).

Again, I really appreciate your input, it really means a lot to me. I am wondering if we should broaden our search a little...

The taxes here really hurt the C corps. If you are an S Corp or LLC then the income taxes are high, but the other fees are very doable. I'm an LLC and really the fees aren't a big deal. Income tax is high though, but we don't have real estate transfer taxes and the bazillion other taxes they have in CA. What kind of corp are you?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM

That is very helpful info, thank you so much for passing it on to me!!! We are an LLC.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
All of Corvallis is nice. As far as negatives, here I'm copying and pasting from what I just posted in another thread: the one thing I like most and least about Corvallis is the climate. From May-September, it's gorgeous. It hardly ever gets above 90 degrees, nights are cool even after a hot day, the humidity is low, and it hardly ever rains. Sometimes it's so dry for so long that I actually wish it would rain. From October-April it can be downright miserable, for me anyway. It's usually overcast and it rains a lot--not a cloudburst here and there, but rain that can last for days non-stop. The sun appears for a while on maybe 2 days out of the week. Snow is pretty rare here, which is good or bad depending on your preference (personally, I wish a lot of this rain were snow, to brighten things up a little). Aside from the climate, I find Corvallis a delightful town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon