U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 39,090 times

Advertisements

Can Anybody tell me some information about Baker County, Oregon. I have read enough stats and looked at some beautiful pictures ect. and it looks like a nice place. I would just like to hear about whats it like to live there ...or any feedback would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Thank you!

Note really looking for a home; thanks though!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,461,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrah358 View Post
Can Anybody tell me some information about Baker County, Oregon. I have read enough stats and looked at some beautiful pictures ect. and it looks like a nice place. I would just like to hear about whats it like to live there ...or any feedback would be appreciated!
I live in Baker City, the only community of any size in Baker County. Baker County is sparsely populated and rural, but not the rural of popular imagination where you have toothless banjo savants sitting on porch swings. I think the area is absolutely gorgeous.

This area is located east of the Cascade Mountains - the “dry side” of Oregon that has colder winters and warmer summers. (I have also lived on the “damp side” in the Willamette Valley.)

Agriculture, mostly ranching, is the main industry in this area. There are a lot of cattle and horses grazing. There are also a lot of pickup trucks. You will occasionally see cowboys and cowgirls wearing the appropriate attire - sometimes they might even be standing next to you in the checkout line at the supermarket. There is also a good chance that most of people in the checkout line are Republicans - but if you are a Democrat or even an Obama supporter, they won’t care. (Just a warning in case Republicans make you nervous.)

The crime rate is so low you don’t even think about crime. The people are very polite and helpful. You can go many months without hearing a car horn honk, and that’s not an exaggeration.

Baker City has a busy library, an arts center where they always seem to be giving lessons, a golf course, and a nearby lake. There is a ski area 30 miles away. It has a good primary care hospital, but if you need something like open heart surgery or a trendy procedure like buttock implants, you have to travel to Portland or Boise.

Living here isn’t for everybody, probably not even for most people. As I said before, it is rural. It is great for outdoor activities, but there are no chic nightclubs or restaurants. Although you can buy anything you really need (Think Ralph's Pretty Good Grocery in Lake Wobegon; "If you can't find it at Ralph's, you can probably get along without it"), shopping is limited. Of course now you can order almost anything on the Internet.

I’m retired, so it doesn’t affect me, but good paying jobs are scarce.

I like it here, but I might be an exception. I suspect that my sister, who has lived most of her life in Chicago, thinks I’m nuts. If Baker City were closer to the ocean and a major symphony orchestra, I would like it even better, but I can’t do anything about that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Talking Thank you for the info re Baker!

Dear "Karlsch"

Thank you so very much for the information you provided. It is precisely what I was looking for and extremely helpful. Baker sounds like a wonderful place to live and very beautiful. I am doing research on the city and your thread defiantly helped.

Farrah

Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,512,494 times
karlsch,

Your post was very good and answered all the questions. Anyone who was raised in the country would love Baker City and it's friendly people. I've been through your town many times while on vacation, and while hunting. The only thing I see wrong with Baker City is it's located in a state that is not business friendly and has a very high state income tax. Other than that, it is a wonderful city and would be a good place to live.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
karlsch,

Your post was very good and answered all the questions. Anyone who was raised in the country would love Baker City and it's friendly people. I've been through your town many times while on vacation, and while hunting. The only thing I see wrong with Baker City is it's located in a state that is not business friendly and has a very high state income tax. Other than that, it is a wonderful city and would be a good place to live.
Thanks Nite Ryder ....

Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM

291 posts, read 796,428 times
We went through Baker City recently while driving from Boise to Portland - the scenery you go through on that drive is gorgeous - we saw Baker City in the distance from I-84 and decided to go see it - it is a cute little town - we thought it had a lot for the population number there - we went into the visitor center and the man who chatted with us there was so nice - he had come there from San Francisco for a job and never left! We went down to the main street and had lunch at the Baker City Cafe - wonderful little restaurant - had the best homemade chicken noodle soup in our life and delicious sandwiches....we left with good vibes about Baker City!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Talking baker

I just finished my research and totally want to go ....there is a show called "everyone has a story" by steven hartman ...you can find it on u tube ...find him and then look for the show on baker county ....i forget what the episode is called ...but it has something to do with a soldier/rancher ...it's totally cool!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM

By the way ...you have a great sense of humor ...i totally crack up when i read your thread ...any cute cowboys up there?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

318 posts, read 451,761 times
Yes, it's been over 2 years since that previous posting on this thread after the person threw rocks for some reason. Not a good way to leave a thread of a good city, in my opinion. Hence, my own posting of thoughts thus far.

For a retiree such as myself, 2-parts conservative to one-part liberal, as well as one dearly loving the wide-open spaces of Eastern Oregon, am soon to travel to Baker City to investigate in person. Have already gleaned about as much information as possible without actually spending a week or two there. A sincere thank you to members contributing good info on several threads here.

Have lived in Wallowa for 5 months as well as Burns for 3 months, even Florence for 9 months total & all are fine in their separate characters but none are quite the place I'm desiring to be taken out boots-first one day. Am confident that Baker City is likely the place I've been looking for to this end: small, rural, clean, good people, "4 seasons", low crime, quiet, respectable, conservative, affordable, real, gorgeous area.

There... a better ending to this thread thus far, don't you think? Be seeing you soon, Baker City!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon