Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ Brenda : El Nino, La Nina, El ******.....WTF.
No scientific proof of that.
Actually, there's lots of scientific data that indicate that sea surface temperature variations in the South Pacific (which is what El Nino/La Nina are) affect climate in the continental US.

However, the earth is a complicated system, so not every El Nino year equals a mild and dry winter in the Pacific NW. Climate data show it tends to be mild and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ Brenda : El Nino, La Nina, El ******.....WTF.
No scientific proof of that.
Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Nope. Seems pretty typical. Though perhaps a tad early for the fruit trees, and we have had no snow to speak of. I am sure it is coming.

In my decade or so in Oregon, I have observed that the winters start in November (essentially), and spring begins in late February. By winter, I mean gray, dark, wet, sometimes oppressively monotonous weather, with some freezing fog and occasional blue frosts thrown in. By spring, I mean longer days, more showery weather, bulbs coming up, and wave after wave of blossoms. It lasts from late February until early June. Snow, by the way, at least here in Ashland, can arrive anytime until April, but it usually melts in a few hours, and rain can settle in for a week anytime until June. But with the days lengthening each week until the solstice, it never feels oppressive to me. A long, luxurious season, but still takes second place to fall, my favorite.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
I've lived here for over 70 years and I've seen really hard winters back in the early 50's with high winds and lots of snow, and I've seen fairly mild winters like the winter we are having now. I haven't noticed a pattern that has been followed. Good winters are followed by bad and vice versa. In the winter of 52 or 53 we were snowed out of our home for over a week, and had to stay with an Uncle who lived only a mile away.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

76 posts, read 319,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Doc. hang on to your stethscope just wait till may or so..it just gets prettier.Keep in mind one silly thing about oregon having spring sometimes she is like a woman giving birth just simply takes her time and then boom and its here..
Hey don't forget I the tour I promised you of oregon gardens..Just let me know when ...
If spring isn't enough, wait till the cherry's and peaches and berries get ripe you will over dose on it all
Just happy your enjoying salem..
Silverfalls and I saw your picture in the paper..Ha Ha..
Later

Yeah, I saw my nice mug shot in the paper as well. Always taking new patients, so spread the word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon