Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 15,682 times

Advertisements

Hello to all!
I was hoping to get some direction regarding any opportunities for a new MD with hopes of making a home in Oregon.

Info as far as areas to consider and/or medical clinics/facilities/organizations with a good reputation for serving the community & quality patient care.

I would prefer a smaller community, not Portland, as I love to hike and participate in outdoor activities.

I enjoyed Hood River upon a recent visit and have heard a great deal about the Central Oregon area, (I know, it's expensive!) but I would love to get your feedback and consider other options.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 70,900 times
I don't know what your specialty is, but you might check out St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, and Peacehealth in Eugene. I don't know if the St Charles website posts physician opportunities, but I know the Peacehealth site does and has a direct link to the recruiter. Both towns are good for outdoor activities, and although Eugene gets a lot more rain due to it's location in the Willamette Valley, you're also only an hour from the coast and a couple hours from skiing in Bend.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the input! I am a Primary Care/Family Practice physican. Both Eugene & Bend have come up quite a bit, but the info on Bend keeps appearing on the negative side. I would love to look into Prineville or another surrounding area that would be close, but not in the "throws" of the expansion over there. I love Colorado and Central Oregon seems to fit that profile a little better for me. The coast would be a welcome change as well however. Lots to think about.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Default Since you mentioned The Coast....

Why not consider the South Coast Bay Area. Besides the largest hospital on the Oregon Coast - Bay Area Hospital, the expanding North Bend Medical Center, and numerous private practice offices throughout the Bay Area, there is also a Veterans Administration Health Care Facility in Bandon.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that a love for outdoor recreation excludes Portland. Many people move there for that very reason, as Portland is the gateway to good outdoor rec in all four directions: St. Helens and Rainier to the northwest, the coast just to the west, the Columbia River Gorge to the east, Central Oregon to the southeast, and the Willamette Valley to the south. Portland is also the bicycling capital of North America. I think the only trauma I centers in the state are there. Oregon Health Sciences University is a wonderful teaching hospital, if that makes a difference. Its Doernbechers Children's hospital is one of the top pediatric centers in the country.
Among mid-sized communities, Good Samaritan in Corvallis is a highly-regarded and up-to-date general services hospital. Corvallis is a very good community to live in, with many well-educated outdoor-oriented people.
Smaller towns will gladly take you in. The State of Oregon used to offer tax incentives to providers who located in rural areas of identified need. You'll have to check with the Office of Revenue in Salem to see if they still do...and if you'd qualify.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I am unfamiliar with the coast, but have received a great deal of correspondance from Coos Bay. I'll be traveling up the 101 to Astoria and over to Portland in a couple of weeks to view the entire area.

By the way ~ do people who reside on the coast ever give any consideration to the whole "tsunami" issue? As a "newcomer" that would be in the back of my mind - but then again, I'm a "newcomer"........

Steve97415 ~ I actually "excluded" Portland as an option only because I prefer a smaller community. I LOVE Portland! Great city! I would rather steer away from the traffic issues and , after 8 years of Medical School, "slow" life down a bit!

My husband is an Environmental Educator so we are meeting in the middle as far as areas with opportunities in both fields.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Please see the thread with the title Coos Bay a Fllod Hazard to get more information on the tsunami warnings.
You are going to love the scenery going up on highway 101. I go down it once a year to go see my grandkids in California. It's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon