Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM

29 posts, read 67,941 times

Advertisements

How would are chances be of finding work if we moved to Corvallis? - so we could look there, Salem, and Eugene at the same time. I like how corvallis is in the middle. Or is this too much traveling? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:04 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Unless you have some special skills it will be tough. It takes about 45 minutes to get from Corvallis to south Salem, 35 minutes with low traffic.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM

29 posts, read 67,941 times
is oregon's economy really that bad? since i started posting on here i am more afraid to move there. It seems like a beautiful state, but all i read is that i should stay away.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,664 times
Crimsonking,

I'm looking at moving to OR, too. The way I look at it, the economy is in the toilet pretty much everywhere, so I believe we have as much of a shot finding jobs in OR as we do here in MT.

I looked up unemployment rates by state. As of Feb. 2010, RI's is 12.7 percent whereas Oregon's is 10.5. So you'd be trading up a couple of points.

(MT's rate was low, I think 6.8 percent, which surprised me until I remembered that most people may be "employed" but at minimum-wage, part-time jobs and are frequently unable to find a job with benefits that can keep the lights on. Underemployment may be just as bad.)

In my experience over several moves to different states, it's pretty much impossible to line something up until you get there. But maybe your experience will be different. I don't know if you have a family or other financial obligations, which obviously alter one's priorities. In that case I probably wouldn't be looking toward Oregon for a better economic climate. (But I wouldn't be looking at Reno, either! Yikes.) For what it's worth, I believe any move offers its own set of challenges and risks, so just look at what's important to you and make your decision from there.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonking23 View Post
is oregon's economy really that bad? since i started posting on here i am more afraid to move there. It seems like a beautiful state, but all i read is that i should stay away.

It's not that you should stay away, but we have a really high unemployment rate. If you have money to live for a while then by all means come, but moving across state lines costs a lot of money...money that you could use to live where you are.

I have several relocating clients to Salem and yes they found jobs. They also aren't working at Starbucks. If you are looking for a job that doesn't require a lot of skills you will have tough competition. If you are bilingual or have some special skills then a job hunt will be a lot easier.

Just to give you an idea, a janitor position opened up at a school and they had 600 applications.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Yea,

I normally would say give it a go, but this recession is REALLY bad. We all hope it will pass soon, but must be realistic. Silverfall is right that this is a tough time to spend your savings on a cross-country move, when the pickings will be slim when you arrive. They have a book about traveling out west in times like these. It's called "The Grapes of Wrath."

Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yea,

I normally would say give it a go, but this recession is REALLY bad. We all hope it will pass soon, but must be realistic. Silverfall is right that this is a tough time to spend your savings on a cross-country move, when the pickings will be slim when you arrive. They have a book about traveling out west in times like these. It's called "The Grapes of Wrath."

Man, that is harsh!

Also a bit of a stretch, perhaps? Just a little?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
Man, that is harsh!

Also a bit of a stretch, perhaps? Just a little?
Just a little.. That was the Great Depression, this is the Great Recession. Point being, it can be tough to move during such times. And with the internet,etc., it sure seems to make sense to do your research before heading out sight unseen. As you and the OP are doing!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM

"Pack up them fryin' pans, Ma, I'm a-fixin t'load the Model T!"

Point taken. And yeah, the Internet is great for research -- I wish these forums had been here for some of my other moves!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
We found our spot we had been dreaming about back in 85. We moved way out here in the boonies on the side of a beautiful, forested mountain. We now lead a much simpler, peaceful way of life. Close to the ways of nature & the forest critters.

Such is the way of a mountain man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon