Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 12:49 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

Coming back to the the NW soon, this time to Oregon and wonder how most folks feel about gas station attendents and CC use?

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Never had any problems.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Well in Oregon you can't pump your own gas so you kind of have to give them your card. They slide it right in front of you and hand it back. You can always just watch them do it.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I've never had a problem using a credit card in over 4 lustrums.

When i was in college i worked in a gas station in CA. Folks used credit cards then too.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,678 times
I for one am glad the attendant is there to deal with the CC. I spent a month in So.Cal. and had more headaches getting my CC to work at the self serve pumps. Never had a problem in OR.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well in Oregon you can't pump your own gas so you kind of have to give them your card. They slide it right in front of you and hand it back. You can always just watch them do it.
Exactly this.

To answer the OP... Of course I trust them. I trust the cashier at a fast food restaurant, a book store, the auto shop, etc. All they do is swipe it and hand it right back to you. No big deal.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
I give them my card but we always watch them and make sure they are doing their job correctly. It is not really the person pumping your gas you need to worry about it would be the scammer who installed the 'skimmer' or whatever they are called in the card slider. I saw a few Portland area gas stations getting dinged for that on the news a while back. You should be fine, there are many other things I would worry about more than the attendant trying to steal your card number.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,077 times
oh yeah, well i know the feeling, but never had any problem in 20 years of usage. it is mainly mexicans nowadays it seems, working the pumps in pdx metro. especially south. i do watch them all no matter who or what they look like. and make sure i look at the total as well.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
yeah good point but be sure to ask for the receipt in that case, since it will have your identity on it

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-31-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Exactly this.

To answer the OP... Of course I trust them. I trust the cashier at a fast food restaurant, a book store, the auto shop, etc. All they do is swipe it and hand it right back to you. No big deal.
oh really? well what if you're a rich liberal, and they're a poor liberal. they'd love to memorize the 16 digits. likewise if you're a rich neo-con and they're a poor one. that could spell disaster in 16 characters, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
I for one am glad the attendant is there to deal with the CC. I spent a month in So.Cal. and had more headaches getting my CC to work at the self serve pumps. Never had a problem in OR.
you're right; isn't it funny how they never have problems, yet the customer always does in other states, having to run into the attendant, which is more dangerous since sometimes the attendant has to 1) swipe the card 2) view it on their computer screen 3) and they have another chance to read part of the numbers when you go back to get your receipt giving them ample opportunity to read those 16 magic numbers plus they're could be ice outside the canopy so one could slip, fall, and have to Sue the gas station company if not the attendant who was too lazy to apply de-icer

you know i'll have to ponder why the oregon machines never break down sometime in a tree sometime eating (what did that other guy says he does? it might help me come up w/ the answer. .).

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-31-2010 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: