Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 PM

111 posts, read 539,236 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are still trying to figure out if we want to end up in Oregon, or Washington. I'm designing a house, and want to act as contractor and subcontract the work, doing some of the labor myself.

I'm still considering different construction techniques, and could go with stick and frame if I had no other choice, but would rather do something that's more efficient and better insulated. Straw bale is a bad idea in the Pacific NW because of the high humidity, but Earth berm is one possibility. I'm also pretty sure I'd want to do an extensive green roof.

So one of the things I'm wondering is whether one state or the other is more "conducive" to alternative building techniques.

Other things I need to learn more about is what kind of difficulties I'll run into as far as construction loans and permits when using some of these more untraditional techniques. I've got a few books on order that cover some of these topics, but if anybody has been through this already, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
(crossposted to Washington forum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G. View Post
So my wife and I are still trying to figure out if we want to end up in Oregon, or Washington. I'm designing a house, and want to act as contractor and subcontract the work, doing some of the labor myself.

I'm still considering different construction techniques, and could go with stick and frame if I had no other choice, but would rather do something that's more efficient and better insulated. Straw bale is a bad idea in the Pacific NW because of the high humidity, but Earth berm is one possibility. I'm also pretty sure I'd want to do an extensive green roof.

So one of the things I'm wondering is whether one state or the other is more "conducive" to alternative building techniques.

Other things I need to learn more about is what kind of difficulties I'll run into as far as construction loans and permits when using some of these more untraditional techniques. I've got a few books on order that cover some of these topics, but if anybody has been through this already, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
(crossposted to Washington forum)

Oregon is pretty green friendly. The biggest issue you will have will be CC&R's. If you live in a subdivision with an architectural review committee or community rules, then you won't be able to. In Salem we have the Pringle Creek Community which is all green homes.Pringle Creek Community

Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,098 times
Washington is pretty green in terms of building - I'm studying sustainable building techniques and some of the biggest proponents and pioneers are Washingtonians. If you are interested in settling in the Seattle/surrounding area, definitely check with Built Green (builtgreen.net). Also definitely check with the Cascadia Region of the Green Building Council (cascadiagbc.org) - you could call either the Seattle or Portland office and ask.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Oregon is pretty green friendly. The biggest issue you will have will be CC&R's. If you live in a subdivision with an architectural review committee or community rules, then you won't be able to. In Salem we have the Pringle Creek Community which is all green homes.Pringle Creek Community
Thanks...hopefully CC&R's won't be an issue, because we're not looking for subdivisions, we're looking for way-out-in-the -sticks.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
Washington is pretty green in terms of building - I'm studying sustainable building techniques and some of the biggest proponents and pioneers are Washingtonians. If you are interested in settling in the Seattle/surrounding area, definitely check with Built Green (builtgreen.net). Also definitely check with the Cascadia Region of the Green Building Council (cascadiagbc.org) - you could call either the Seattle or Portland office and ask.
Thanks for the links. Seattle's too big for us, we'd probably want to be within 30 minutes of either Vancouver or Olympia. Leaning toward Vancouver for now.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of info for me at the sites you mentioned.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks...hopefully CC&R's won't be an issue, because we're not looking for subdivisions, we're looking for way-out-in-the -sticks.

Ah...then I would also look at what rebates the NW Energy Trust is offering. They have lots of rebates.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,156 times
Quote:
Straw bale is a bad idea in the Pacific NW because of the high humidity,
Straw bale is a bad idea in climates without a prolonged dry season, but that really only pertains to the coastal strip west of the Coast Range. The rest of western WA and OR have a good 4-5 months of arid summer weather. Straw bale homes have been built in the Willamette Valley, but require wide overhangs. East of the Cascades they are no problem.

In the Rogue River Valley of southern Oregon, straw bale homes are quite popular due to the hot summer weather. There is an entire straw bale village in Jacksonville and some of the major straw bale consulting businesses are located in southern Oregon.

If you are looking at passive solar, you might be interested in looking into building with Faswall blocks (made in Philomath, I believe).

In terms of building officials, expect them to require an engineer's stamp for anything that's not prescriptive building techniques. The loan may be the most difficult aspect if you expect to DIY. Most banks will want to see a general contractor with a proven track record who's bonded and has a state-issued contractor's license #. You may find this particularly difficult at the moment because most banks are holding more real estate assets than they are comfortable with already. There's a huge surplus of housing in the country.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
The loan may be the most difficult aspect if you expect to DIY. Most banks will want to see a general contractor with a proven track record who's bonded and has a state-issued contractor's license #. You may find this particularly difficult at the moment because most banks are holding more real estate assets than they are comfortable with already. There's a huge surplus of housing in the country.
The OP probably won't be able to get a loan without a general contractor involved. If the OP needs a mortgage, then they will have to find a GC that is willing to let them take on some of the work themselves. Their best bet out here will be Washington Federal, or one of the other local banks. None of the biggies will touch this project.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
You might look into "pre-fab" green building. Can't think of what it's "official green name" is. but basically houses built in a factory that are very green and energy efficient, then trucked to the site and put up. I think there may even be a few places in OR or WA that build them.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times
We are actually in the same position. Currently my front runner for technique is Stick built but using OVE (optimum value engineering) Advanced framing. It removes about 30 percent of the Framing lumber without sacrificing Strength. Something to consider. It is allowed by International building code, and specifically Oregon Code.

Having said that, we are considering Earthberm, (watch for egress issues) and anything else that makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon