Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times

Advertisements

Your life is ready to change for the worst forever. You literally are moving your kids to a place that haunts my nightmares nightly and I got out and ended up becoming g a successful attorney. I still walk the halls of Mazama High every night and experience the hell that was K Falls. I'm not kidding...get ready for it. Your kids might resent you forever. Here it is Uber rich or Uber poor and the rich kids still make it hell for anyone else. Seriously, worst air quality and I personally had 2 friends murdered. One in the house 15 feet away from my dad's bedroom. Brains blown out by a shotgun. Another person I know had a meth head break in and stab his whole family then get blown away by the owner's shotgun. These are real crimes folks. Oh, and tell your kids about method now before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,159 times
My husband and I were thinking of retiring here, from California, after reading these posts, I guess I'll keep looking 

Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
Smile Worth a second look

Klamath Falls itself is improving greatly in the last couple of years. The new police chief and sheriff have done a lot to clean up the immediate area, so now there are no "dangerous neighborhoods." (Yes, some are still run down). The county itself is huge (bigger than the state of Connecticut. Much of it is forest and the southern part is agriculture. There are some isolated drug hide outs and a couple of still dangerous communities in the county, but Klamath Falls itself is safer than most cities. Pot is legal in Oregon, but retail sales are banned in Klamath Falls, so there is not the problem of large farms like there is near Medford.
Blue Zones is trying to make the community more healthy and have been very successful in creating more bike lanes, bike trails and tons of "Single Track" for the real mountain bike enthusiasts, but you can do some great road trips on uncrowded roads with a little planning. Sailing on Upper Klamath Lake is great and Lake Euwana in town has great wind protection for kayaking and canoeing and there is a rowing club with nice shells for any community member who wishes to join. Upper Klamath Lake has great canoe trails and bird watching is amazing as well as at the refuge to the south of town.
Main Street has a lot of small business and nice little restaurants. Leap of Taste is great for "Natural food" and The Mermaid has great soup and salads. Gathering Grounds in a nice coffee shop where lots of local business people, leaders and OIT students hang out together. A great place to get to know people. Green Blade is rated the best bakery in Southern Oregon, but is actually better than the Pearl St Bakery in Portland that got the rating of the best in the state.
Fancy restaurants are limited and none downtown. The Ruddy Duck at the Running Y is very good, but the best restaurant in the county is the Lodge at Crater Lake.
Hiking in the nearby hills and mountains is fantastic, especially in the fall. Global warming has limited winter sports. The ski resort closed, but it is now a great Zip line in the warmer weather. Limited snow most winters has eliminated cross country skiing and most snow mobile trails are just mud now, but Mt Bachelor is a major resort just 3 hours away and Mt Ashland is less than 2 hours away, when there is snow there. Mt Shasta is just over 2 hours and always has snow, but is mostly a snow boarding slope.
OIT is the major technical university for the Pacific Northwest.
The hospital is tied to OHSU, the medical school, so the quality of care is very high, although it is a "Medium Size" hospital. So they have great cardiology and orthopedics, but open heart surgery, complex pediatrics and neurosurgery go to Medford.
Blue skis make up the weather most of the time. Summers are hotter now, so air conditioning is a necessity.
There is a housing shortage, just like almost everywhere, but the cost of living is so much lower that I would be hard pressed not to stay here when I retire. Unfortunately, low cost of living also attracts some "Undesirables." However, gradual increase in industry is creating a demand for more middle class housing, which is slowly being constructed.
Medford is just over an hour away. That puts the nearest major airport a lot closer to Klamath Falls than many other small, or even large towns (think Salem, OR or anywhere in the Bay Area unless you are next to SFO. Even Intel is usually over an hour from PDX).
Local culture is sometimes amazing. There is quite a bit of talent locally, but I can leave my house at 5:00 am and drive to Walnut Creek, then take BART into San Francisco and have lunch at 1:00 pm, enjoy the city and be at the opera or symphony that night with tickets I bought online. Plus parking at Walnut Creek BART is pretty cheap. Eugene is 3 hours and great ballet as well as the Bach Festival. Portland is 5 hours with all the well-known food scene, microbrewers, distilleries and fancy shopping.
What is amazing is Ashland just a little over an hour away. Great restaurants and wineries, a fantastic food coop (although the local Sherm's in Klamath Falls is quite impressive) and world class theater. There are four theaters companies there, but the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is the largest theater company in the US and pays better than Broadway Theaters in NYC. So they get the best actors, directors, dramaturges and theater staff. World class costumes and they commission the top play writes from all over the world. There are always several world premiers every season. And Klamath Falls residents are considered locals, so we get fantastic discounts on tickets for a small membership fee.
Besides, after spending some time in Ashland, coming home to Klamath Falls lets you appreciate the conservative nature of local politics (although that has changed in the last 4 years), when compared to how far left things can get at the Ashland Independent Film Festival.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM

218 posts, read 240,098 times
After reading all the doom and gloom people say about K-Falls I say their opinio is theirs to keep. Like any town it has it's problems. Name a place that doesn't? If they don't like it why are they here? I like it here and have worked hard to make it a good place for us to live. Some parts of town are better than others but that's how it is every where, pick a good neighborhood. Crime isn't any worse than most places, Medford is way worse, gang shooting almost every week. I haven't seen much gang activity in Klamath. Klamath is cheaper to live in and property is affordable for the average person. I've owned 2 houses in town. Rents are pretty affordable too. Check out the rents in Medford and you'll know what I mean. Don't know what kind of people you're looking to meet, plenty of Bars, Churches and Clubs to chose the right crowd, all depends on you. No it's not the best place to live but it's alright.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
Medford is way worse, gang shooting almost every week. I haven't seen much gang activity in Klamath.
Having lived in Klamath County where the sheriff's office refused to respond to the report of a dead body on the highway as the result of a drug deal gone wrong (OSP responded in 3 hours), we moved Medford and Jackson County where services are much better funded. And to say there is a gang-related shooting "almost every week" is a serious exaggeration. There was 1 in 2017 and 1 in 2014 in all of Jackson County, which is almost 4 times the population of Klamath County (212,000 to 66,000).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 01-26-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Having lived in Klamath County where the sheriff's office refused to respond to the report of a dead body on the highway as the result of a drug deal gone wrong (OSP responded in 3 hours), we moved Medford and Jackson County where services are much better funded. And to say there is a gang-related shooting "almost every week" is a serious exaggeration. There was 1 in 2017 and 1 in 2014 in all of Jackson County, which is almost 4 times the population of Klamath County (212,000 to 66,000).
No actually there were 3 shootings and several robberies I can think of in the last year. Yeah, we have them in Klamath County too, Chiloquin and Beatty have big problems and yes the Sheriffs office is under funded. Say what you want, Medford and surounding arrea still sucks.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 AM

505 posts, read 497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
It is a rough place to live in all aspects. Weather, crime, people, outdoor activities......
The locals call it Little LA.....
Hope you don't have your heart set on the American dream coming here.... It WON'T happen
That's hysterical

Growing up in Central Oregon, we called it KlaMETH Falls.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM

Kind of like Meth-ford. LOL

Old 02-02-2018, 10:55 AM

505 posts, read 497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
Kind of like Meth-ford. LOL
I forgot about Methford lmaooooo

Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 28,283 times
Klamath Falls is the taint of Oregon, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon