Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 AM

118 posts, read 671,822 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have some nice Columbia riverfront property on the Washington side of the river almost directly across from Astoria. I love the beauty there, but wonder if my sun-loving wife will adjust? What are some of your opinions? She thinks it's gorgeous there, but is afraid of the big bad cold grey winter. I don't care, as the so-called 'cold' of Astoria is mild compared to some Northeastern winters.

I have tempted her with the idea of a nice fireplace in a log-cabin, but it seems they are all so expensive to have built. The kits start off looking cheap, but by the time it's contstructed, it's not cheap anymore! Has anybody ever had a cheap log-cabin built in the recent past?

Last edited by Paddywagons; 06-10-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 13,667 times
Smile log cabin in Astoria

If you find a cheap builder up there let me know. Was looking into doing the same: buying some land, having a cabin built. I do know that building a cabin requires purchasing the kit, having someone erect it, having the insides finished, then dealing with digging a well, putting in a septic system and getting power to your property--along with all the permits that go along with it.

Best of luck, let me know what you find out and I will do the same.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
Has anybody ever had a cheap log-cabin built in the recent past?
Oooh. I'm entirely jealous of you having property there! One of my absolutely favorite areas on the planet. So gorgeous. Sorry, I have no recent info on log cabins...the most recent one I know anything about was built by my great-grandfather in the late 1890's. I'm just mainly expressing my envy. Your wife is a very lucky gal!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 AM

Hello,

It is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been to also. I really hope to get enough information on my upcoming trip to help me decide how to go about this. I'm even thinking of building myself! Of course I would have to sub-contract out some of the work, like the concrete slab and some plumbing and electric. I think I'll have to rent nearby if something is available, or I'll look for a mobile or modular to live in while constructing. I think if I find a way to buy the logs cheap, or to harvest them off my own property if I can actually do that myself, I will consider it. I don't trust many of the suppliers, and I know I will always do a better job on my own home than anyone else. I have a lot to learn, but long before everthing became so technical, for thousands of years people built there own homes! I think I can do it, so I'll consider looking into this and maybe saving $100,000 +!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Patrick

Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times
Quote:
Hello,

It is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been to also. I really hope to get enough information on my upcoming trip to help me decide how to go about this. I'm even thinking of building myself! Of course I would have to sub-contract out some of the work, like the concrete slab and some plumbing and electric. I think I'll have to rent nearby if something is available, or I'll look for a mobile or modular to live in while constructing. I think if I find a way to buy the logs cheap, or to harvest them off my own property if I can actually do that myself, I will consider it. I don't trust many of the suppliers, and I know I will always do a better job on my own home than anyone else. I have a lot to learn, but long before everthing became so technical, for thousands of years people built there own homes! I think I can do it, so I'll consider looking into this and maybe saving $100,000 +!

Patrick

If you're going to attempt to harvest your own logs, I'd highly recommend hiring an experienced logger to do so for you. It isn't easy and can be exceedingly dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Heck, it can be dangerous if you do know what you're doing.

As for finding a rental, I'd recommend looking after the tourist season is over. During tourist season the rentals will be much more expensive. Having a mobile home on the lot while you're building isn't a bad idea, at all. Just check with the county and make sure you get the proper permits before purchasing one or putting it on your land.

Good luck! I'm still jealous!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Hello,

Patrick
I would really recommend going to work for a log home company and building a couple before you try to build one for yourself. There's more to it than you might think. Most of the log cabins the pioneers built were rude shacks in the wood with dirt floors and only one room. They were dark, dirty, drafty, and fell down after only a few years.

Building a modern log home is a lot more high tech than you might think, starting from a uniform cured moisture content in the logs that might be hard to attain on the coast. There are also steel seismic reinforcement rods that run through the walls that are pretty tricky to install. The whole operation requires heavy equipment and a crew that knows what it is doing. Because of exposure to winter storms, houses have to pay a lot of attention to wind loading, and the windward side of a house has to be built like a boat hull, to shed the water that flies horizontally. 100 mph + winds are not uncommon on the Oregon coast. In the east, they would be called hurricanes, but here they are just another wind storm. During the Columbus Day Storm of 1962, many headlands on the coast measured wind velocities in excess of 170 mph. That one made the news!

However, there is a lot of brainless hand work that contractors are happy to farm out to the owner. I stopped at a log home under construction just out of Springfield on my way up the McKenzie once, and the owners were busily caulking the cracks in the logs. They were wonderful folks, happy to give my wife and I a tour of the house and talk about the construction process. It's more than one person can do.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 AM

Hello!

I just got around to this thread, as I've been so busy with a new infant & a wife who's 5 months pregnant!

I really appreciate the knowledgeable input and suggestions from all of you. It seems that nothing is ever easy, but I did learn that a long time ago & came to accept it.

I actually would prefer to have someone else do the very hard work, as I did break my back last year and had to have a disk removed. I can still do most things, but the recovery after a long day at work is rough. Therefore, after hearing your well explanied thoughts, I will most likely do some more research and confirm what is possible and practical for me to do. I think I will rent out of season as very wisely suggested, and then put a small trailer on the property and attempt to begin with a simple log pole barn to see if I want to graduate to something as a large as a home. I have always been ambitious with projects and generally have accomplished them against the odds. I hope I still have it in me after my injury, I do look forward to it!

Thank you again so much for your concern and in sharing your thoughts & experience,

Sincerley,

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: