Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wonder if I could just run a small pipeline from the brewery to the end of the crabbing pier, and drink from it while crabbing.
Just use a long straw......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
I've been over both several times in my lifetime, and while I will say that Yaquina Bay for me has been for more easy and enjoyable, it's probably because I've been there many more times, and am more familiar with it.

So, I guess it's a matter of opinion, neither "true" or "untrue".

Being a resident of Northwest Oregon, Yaquina Bay is far more convenient for me, and frankly, the fishing oppurtunities are better for me.

It's cheaper to run my boat south a few miles, rather than spend all that money hauling and launching at Coos Bay, and then having to go north to where I like to fish.

Coos Bay is to far south and to much of a pain in the patoozie for me to rate it over Yaquina Bay.
And personally, I'll bet it gets far less use from non-commercial boat trafic than Yaquina Bay does.

I suppose a lot of people may have the same opinion as you do, but I have to honestly say, my experiences BOAT WISE, have been far better at Yaquina Bay.

I still stand by what I said, really, there is a brewery right at the crabbing pier.

As far as pure safety, I won't believe an ubsustansiated statement like that...
Show me that data.
And if you do present some data, please be kind enought to explain the data, and how it pertains to your argument, rather than the usual bombardment of weak links that have little or no content that truly supports your argument.

It's a good trick (or you could call it a smoke screen), but some us really are interested in supporting evidence, and will actually read your links.

Show me some real, easy to understand statistics, and I'll consider changing my opinion...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
... ...

As far as pure safety, I won't believe an ubsustansiated statement like that...
Show me that data.
And if you do present some data, please be kind enought to explain the data, and how it pertains to your argument, rather than the usual bombardment of weak links that have little or no content that truly supports your argument........
Any Coast Guard Station will verify my statement. Also I commercial fished out of Coos Bay for five years. As the skipper of my own documented vessel I had to know the bars at all the ports I entered. I also worked for Georges Marine Electronics back in the mid 70's and spent a lot of time installing radar in Newport. I knew all the fisherman and without a doubt, Coos Bay was considered the safest bar on the Oregon coast

Although this site says it is Brookings Harbor. Southern Oregon Visitors Association - southern oregon, Ashland, Shakespeare Festival, Crater Lake, rafting, wines, wineries, jetboats, jacksonville, coast, rogue river, redwoods

This site and six others call Coos Bay "One of the safest". .... Fishing off Coos Bay/Charleston

You may find this interesting ..... Previous stories about boating accidents involving bar crossings | OregonLive.com

But this site and 40 others call Coos Bay, "The safest Bar on the Oregon Coast .....The Portside Restaurant - Charleston, Oregon Seafood

Although the official sites (non commercial) say not only is Coos Bay the safest in Oregon, but on the entire Pacific Coast ......

"From the Pacific Ocean head for Coos Bay, the entrance is marked by Cape Arago Light. The Coos Bay bar is considered the safest on the Pacific coast. " quote from Coos Bay City Dock, Coos Bay, Oregon

Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Any Coast Guard Station will verify my statement.
So, show us the Coast Guard verification stats.

Thanks for the links, but.......

"One of the safest"
"Considered the safest"
"BLAH BLAH BLAH the safest"

Hate to say this but the links calling Coos Bay the safest are a restaurant web page and a generic boating site.

Pretty weak.

I expected cold hard evidence from say, some Coast Guard statistics, maybe?

I could easily find the same kind of fluff about Yaquina bay.

Your stories are cool, but in the end, with the evidence you presented, they are still your stories and opinions.

I also have to say that I also am the skipper of my own vessel(s), and have been crossing the bar at Yaquina Bay (at least half a dozen times a year, in my boat and others) for over 30 years now, so I just may have the "sea-time" over you, Cp'n Steve!

How long ago were you commercially fishing?
I'm still recreationally fishing out there to this day.
My experiences are still fresh.

I'll meet you half way and say that the Coos Bay and Yaquina Bay bars are equally among the safest in Oregon.

How's that?

Anyways, you can have the last word.
I know what I know and you won't change my mind.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 03-03-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM

I told you, Contact the Coast Guard at any station, and they will answer your question. The original statement was that Newport had the safest bar. They do not. Not even in the top three.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
I personally prefer Newport. I LOVE that town! It has a ton of things to do and has a vibrant active community. I'm a big city slicker but I have never been bored in Newport, so that tells you something.

I don't know much about Lincoln City, except that it's a pretty spread out town.

Most people don't care if you're gay, as long as you don't run around flaunting it at everybody or being pushy about it no one is going to care. People tend to stay out of each other's business in Oregon.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I too much prefer Newport over Lincoln City.
Actually, Lincoln City is probably my least liked coastal town.

It encompasses everything I hate about touristy coastal towns.

Quote:
I told you, Contact the Coast Guard at any station, and they will answer your question.
Tell you what, you made the contradictory statement out of the blue, and resurrected a three year old post just to start an argument with me.

And true to form, once again you've started the argument, but you've failed to support your argument with any cold hard facts.
How about you provide some real evidence to support your argument?

If YOU are going to tell me that YOU disagree with me, it should be on YOUR shoulders to tell me why, and convince ME beyond a shadow of a doubt that YOU are 100% correct...

It shouldn't be on MY shoulders to provide, lookup, or contact anybody or anything that supports YOUR argument.

That burden is on you, my friend!
I am not going to do your homework for you, or play any stupid "he said/she said/they said" games.

BTW, Good luck on your political aspirations, you are gonna be eaten alive if that's your debating style.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 03-03-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:

BTW, Good luck on your political aspirations, you are gonna be eaten alive if that's your debating style.
Especially not if interested Polk County voters decide to Google Pickering's name for more information on who he is (which is plausible since he's a relative newcomer to the area).

I think he got 16 or so votes when he ran for something in Coos County.

I agree; Pickering, if you're going to continue to post supposed statements of fact, back up your claims (for once).

Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
... ...
Tell you what, you made the contradictory statement out of the blue,
... ...
No I didn't. I stated a well known fact to dispute an erroneous claim. The statement that Newport had the safest Coastal Bar Crossing was not true. I gave you sufficient information to verify what I said. Be it Official from the Government, a biased opinion, or a promotional statement.

Anyone who has actually lived and worked the Oregon coast knows what I said to be true. If you don't know the facts, get over yourself and get down off your cross. We need the wood.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM

And Natronacounty resurrected this thread, not me. Their first post since 2010 when they said they hated Coos Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon