Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,949 times

Advertisements

Wondering how u like OR? Is it what u expected? What part did u end up in? and are u going to stay? Pros, and cons of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,905 times
Default moved to Oregon

I moved to Oregon from Georgia and love it, I do find that the people here are not as friendly as in the south and the food is bland but the state is great!! Real estate is outrageous and gang activity is a concern but it is a pretty place to live

Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 PM

19 posts, read 188,136 times
Hi, we moved here from WA state the end of September, and to tell you the truth I have wanted to give up and go home on a number of occasions. The very first night we got into town (Springfield) our truck windows were broken out and we had alot of stuff stolen from our vehicle. The police refused to take fingerprints. My husband is making less money per hour here, compared to WA, and house prices our outrageous. We had people digging in our trash cans, which was the first time I had ever seen that. Eugene/Springfield is in a good location on the map, close to the ocean, and close to CA, but I would not recommend this area. I was reading in the paper last week that Lane Co. police are "slacking". Oregon is beautiful, but I think it is better to come on vacation!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
Ive lived here all my life, and only in the really seedy areas have I ever seen anyone digging through trash cans. In fact, my husband was a recycle/trash driver and only saw that on rare occasions himself, again, in some very seedy areas that most people would not venture to. - Ive never been robbed, mugged, raped, beaten, nor has anyone I know. Oh wait, I was a victim of identity theft a few years ago, but the PD was on it right away and got it all taken cared of very quickly and professionally. Personally, Im a bit baffled on why you would move here for a lower paying job, to a more expensive house that is located in an obviously undesirable location. - why NOT move back to Wash. if youre so very unhappy? Theres a lot of people who are eager to move to Oregon and who will find it a wonderful place to live. Im not trying to be rude here, youve just made it very clear how much you despise where you live, and where you want to move back to, so why not if your husband will have a higher paying job, your house would be cheaper, and you will be happier? It never makes sense to me why stay and live in a place you hate?
- There are of course, downsides to living in Oregon. Our housing prices have risen out of control in many areas over the last few years ( the good news is, they are dropping again! yeah) There are a lot of illegal aliens, and we do have a bad meth problem in many areas. It does rain here a lot in certain months, but we have the incredible flowers/trees/shrubs that most of us feel are worth it. Most places in Oregon are within an hour or less of some sort of water. Ocean, lakes, rivers, waterfalls. And we have a lot of breathtaking nature/scenery. I live at the beach, where we get more rain than anywhere else, and even so, we can go for weeks w/o seeing a raincloud or fog. Yeah, in the winter it does rain quite a bit - lots of fog too. But have you ever seen the ocean during a storm? Not something youre likely to forget. Ya, we have our share of rude worthless scum of the earth people, but so does every other place you go in the world. We also have some of the most caring gracious people living here too. People are people wherever you go. You'll find both ends and plenty in the middle here. How you find Oregon and those who live here is really going to depend on YOU. To some, our beautiful summers where it rarely gets too hot andmost days are just full of lovely sunshine, arent worth the many many days of grey skys in the winter. That the rain isnt worth the endless trees, colorful flowers, and unique shrubery. Some prefer the beaches with endless games of volleyball and rows of possible new friends sunning themselves on the sand, me, I prefer spending an entire day alone on a beach w/o seeing another soul, being able to spend a couple hours and limit out on fresh crab...oh yum!
okay, heres a suggestion for ya, look into Oregonlive.com - its the website for the Oregonian - our main paper here in Oregon. - you can look up jobs/housing prices/crime/local news/and there are even forums for several different cities/towns around the state. That'll give you even more ideas/opinions.
Best of luck,
Tiffany
btw, I think if at all possible, I will always stay in Oregon. For me, theres just too much to love here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: