U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,795 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to the Corvallis area to attend grad school at OSU this fall. I'd really like to find an older home, pre-1950, in a quiet neighborhood with old trees.

The areas just north and east of the OSU campus have some beautiful older homes but it seems like the neighborhoods themselves are very busy with undergrads (and noisy). Can anyone recommend any other areas? Downtown Albany has some nice older homes, but I don't know about the neighborhood itself. Is it safe? Desirable? Does Philomath have anything like this? Could I possibly find an older farmhouse?

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,539,916 times
I lived in Corvallis for several years and the rule of thumb for the most part, is that the further you get from campus. The less you have to put up with the antics of the college kids.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,378,330 times
Are you looking to rent or buy?

We visited Corvallis a couple of weeks ago with an eye toward relocating there. Noticed many "for sale" signs but have not had any luck in finding a rental. We're looking for a house in the same sort of neighborhood you are. Just from driving around, it seems like the college-y area extends rather far from the east side of campus, but not so far in the north. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Seems to be more rentals available in Albany and they're reasonable, so if you don't mind living out there that's an option. Albany doesn't seem like a bad place; definitely more of a "small-town America" atmosphere than Corvallis.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, both of you. I was actually visiting Corvallis/Albany just last week, but I only had a day of the trip to look for housing. Not nearly enough time, obviously.

I'll be looking to rent for at least the first year, maybe more... I want to get to know the area well before thinking about buying anything. I've been warned that rentals can be a little on the run-down side, or, if not, they tend to go really quickly.

I'm open to the OSU area for an older house (1940s or earlier), but it seems like it really depends on the street and the block, whether it'll be noisy or not. No frat house neighbors for me!

Albany's downtown looks very quiet, but then there's the railroad and Amtrak.... Does anybody know when the trains run through downtown Albany? Often? During the night at all??

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 AM

4 posts, read 13,589 times
I lived across from Linn Benton Community College for a year and yes the train ran very often.

I would really recommend staying away from Albany. The town is dirty and doesn't have the typical northwest culture that you would have in Corvallis.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,032,859 times
Albany has some lovely old historic homes. I have friends living there whom I like to visit during the time when the town has a tour of old homes. The owners open up their houses with for viewers to see the antiques and all kinds of Oregon memorablia. The tour is in July and December where they have little trolleys to take people around. The December tour is my favorite because all the Christmas decorations are displayed.

http://www.albanyhistorictours.zoomshare.com/ (broken link)

There is also a wonderful theater that puts on all types of plays with local talent and they are very good. They have art festivals, wine tastings and other interesting events. Check out the URL (Mods I hope it's ok to post it).
It's a nice little town. I am a city girl but if I were to chose a small town in which to live, Albany would be one of my choices.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 PM

42 posts, read 134,881 times
We choose Albany after considering Albany and Corvallis. We have only been here for a month so time will tell but so far we really like it. There is lots to explore in the area of history. I believe that Albany has a lot to offer and you will still have access to Corvallis since it's only a stone throw away. There are busses that runs back and forth between Corvallis and Albany if you want to go that route. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,032,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiguanmom View Post
We choose Albany after considering Albany and Corvallis. We have only been here for a month so time will tell but so far we really like it. There is lots to explore in the area of history. I believe that Albany has a lot to offer and you will still have access to Corvallis since it's only a stone throw away. There are busses that runs back and forth between Corvallis and Albany if you want to go that route. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Very true about the Albany-Corvallis commute. My friend does this everyday. She is a librarian at OSU in Corvallis but lives in Albany.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks for that feedback.

Are the trains generally not very noticeable in the downtown area, or is there a lot of railroad noise downtown? I've only been in downtown Albany for brief periods during a visit, but I never heard a train when I was there. I'm most concerned about train noise at night... don't want to move downtown and be woken every night!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM

836 posts, read 1,378,330 times
We are contemplating a rental in Corvallis on 9th St. near Borders. Does anyone have any feedback about living in the area? How is traffic on 9th? It seemed fairly quiet when we visited, but visiting and living somewhere are different balls of wax! Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon