U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM

144 posts, read 526,915 times

Advertisements

My family and i are currently in Wyoming. I grew up here and have also lived in Arizona. I work in the energy field, oil and natural gas. Its a good gig 60K a year, but the work is tough and the climate up here really SUCKS. We are at 7100 feet and woke up this morning to 8" of snow. The winters are long and really is no spring or fall. About 3 months of decent weather then the cold and snow and high winds are back. We enjoy fly fishing and camping which Wyoming offers a great deal of. But like i said the fun season is over before you know it. My wife is an RN but currently not working due to our newborn boy. I have always thought i would like Oregon or Washington states. I know they are beautiful and have good fishing and outdoor activities. After doing some research though i am a bit concerned about the economy in these two places. My wife can find work anywhere, nurses are in need all over. I am wondering about myself though. Besides the oil and gas field i am a certified welder, pretty mechanical, and good with construction and building. I could work in a refinery or a plant of some sort as an operator. Just not sure how much of this is in the area. I have looked into real estate and is not anymore than i am currently paying for my home. I do see a road trip this summer to checkout the two states. We are looking for a smaller town with some opportunity for work. I was a bit discouraged to read about the lack of jobs in the area. I would never give up my job and home and move without at least a job landed for the wife. Like i said i am more trying to figure out what i could do to make a buck. I love Wyoming but the job is changing fast and the climate up here is just too much. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,687,151 times
Moose, here are a few ideas of places to look:

- there's not much drilling here, but there are proposals for liquid natural gas terminals and pipelines.

- the Port of Portland might need someone with your skills.

- the steel company in Portland that's started manufacturing streetcars is another possibility.

- some NOAA research ships are going to be relocating from Seattle to Newport, OR, which is a pretty nice town on the coast. They might need to hire some people.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM

15,130 posts, read 37,554,455 times
I know that there is a lack of welders across the nation, but not sure about the demand for that here. I think that Rob gave you some excellent ideas. I know Salem has the Sanyo solar plant going in so you might want to check and see if they have a need for someone with welding skills.

Salem hospital has a huge expansion so they have been doing a lot of hiring, and Portland has plenty of hospitals, BUT they have laid off a lot of staff including nurses due to budget cuts. It's going to be tough, but if you are willing to wait and look for work, you could find something over time.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM

758 posts, read 2,249,786 times
Washington (Anacortes) has refining up north; there's Boeing in the Puget Sound region and its supporting suppliers. Oregon (Portland) has a bit of ship and rail car building (Gunderson and a couple others) and some aerospace (Precision Castparts, Boeing).

Those are a couple ideas off the top of my head. I'm guessing good welders are always in demand. That's an art form.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,082,106 times
Welders in the Portland area - the demand isn't great. I know of people in the trades, and welding specifically. People have been laid off for months. It always picks up, as that type of work is always ebbing and flowing, but right now is a slow time in pretty much all of the trades, including welding.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM

198 posts, read 377,527 times
Hi,

I live in Oregon, don't know much about either state in employment, but some thoughts.

A suggestion. Why not go on line and look? The state of Oregon Employment Division has a web site with current postings. Not sure if Washington does.

My sense is the refinery industry is more in Washington as the previous posted mentioned. Anacortes did sadly, just have a large explosion. I had heard it is closed down. The workers are being paid, but not sure when they will begin again. The companies are along the Puget sound. Everett is another large employer area that might fit your interest. The economy does seem to be getting better slowly. I bet you could find something if you keep at it.

If you live in Oregon, I would recommend staying along the I-5 corrrider. Say Eugene to Portland. If you ever loose your job, you need to get another one. Some of the communities can be isolated in that way. As it is, to protect yourself from that, the surrounding area of Portland is probably a safer bet. You could live in the county and ideally work on the edge of the metro area. As the previous poster metioned North Portland does have heavy industry at Swan Island. You would be in the metro area, but you might look. Oregon City has industry, perhaps check? You could live your lifestye there. Same with Hillsboro if you wanted to drive in to work. Check Gresham, Clackamas and Wilsonville. Salem, Albany, Corvallis, Eugene.

I am wondering if you might contact some of the community colleges to talk to staff who work in employment assistance. They should have labor market info available to you. Oregon has a web site with lots of links that might be informational. Just google state of Oregon. Perhaps Washington has the same.

I think you would like it here. Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM

504 posts, read 2,080,690 times
Not much oil and gas here, I'm afraid. You might try around Richland, Wa ("Tri-cities" area). Hanford Nuclear Site is there, and has had a lot of "stimulus" money thrown their way, I hear. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site is a good site for Federal jobs, which are numerous in both Oregon and Washington. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>