U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 466,667 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have had terrible luck with our planned northern Oregon coast vacations. Seems every time we go, the first day is gorgeous, the middle days are crap, and the day we have to leave is gorgeous! So...we decided to try the central coast and go either in July or August for one week and try our luck again.

Can anyone tell us what to expect around Yachats or central coast area in mid to late summer? What would be the best month to go? Are the odds good we will at least get 50 percent sunny days? Any beach town better than others in terms of getting more sunny days?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,303,312 times
Someone who lives on the coast I'm sure can probably answer your questions better than I can, we live in Eugene and go to the coast maybe once a month or maybe twice depending on what weekends we have free.

July and August should have great odds for nice sunny and clear days. I won't go on to say warm days, though. In Oregon people go to the coast to cool off when the Valley temps get too unbearable. (Most people still do not have air conditioning here.) The summers are generally much more calm and clear than the other 9 months out of the year, though. And remember, too, that the winds pick up usually around late morning/early afternoon... if you get up early the winds are usually pretty calm in the very early mornings. This is our experience anyway.

You can also find some areas which are tucked away a bit between rocks and clifs which help with the winds. If it's a flat wide-open beach with no buffers you'll feel the wind more.

This is Oregon, though. We never have southern california or florida type beach weather. Even in summer here people wear jeans and sweaters, lined anoraks or parkas... lots of fleece and hoodie sweaters. Our family even wears bogs boots (like rain boots) to keep our feet warm and dry. It's a different kind of coast. It's not a sunbathing working on your tan kind of scene, though you do see surfer's especially around Agate Beach . It's more like a hiking, exploring, wildlife-watching, tidepooling, beachcombing, whale-watching, kite flying kind of scene. It can be very cold and windy even in August, and even if it's sunny and clear.

Personally I've learned to love the storms and winds and rain on the coast. It's the best time to find treasures!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM

716 posts, read 2,676,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
My husband and I have had terrible luck with our planned northern Oregon coast vacations. Seems every time we go, the first day is gorgeous, the middle days are crap, and the day we have to leave is gorgeous! So...we decided to try the central coast and go either in July or August for one week and try our luck again.
What you experienced is quite normal for the coast. Mark Twain once said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. You could say the same thing about the Oregon coast.

Mid summer can be iffy. If the valley is having high pressure and hot temperatures then the coast will likely be foggy and cold. However there can be wonderful weather mixed in too.

The best weather at the coast is usually late August to mid Oct.

P.S. There's no such thing as "crappy" weather at the coast. It's all good!!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM

9,965 posts, read 16,388,450 times
I've had better luck with good weather on the coast in late August-Early October. It seems like it's less foggy at this point in the year--at least on the North Coast when I've been. Summertime on the coast can be hit or miss...You get the days when it's 95 degrees in the Willamette Valley, and everyone heads to the coast without checking the weather report---then it's sunny the whole way through the Coast Range and then it's suddenly foggy and 55 degrees right at the shore.

The sunniest spot of the whole coast is Brookings and the southernmost beach towns. As far the best weather on the Central Coast, I think most towns are fairly similar from Newport to Coos Bay--Florence, Yachats, Reedsport. I think south of Coos Bay can be a little warmer--maybe down towards Bandon. But the average for the summer seems to be highs in the low 60s--if you're lucky you might have a chance of weather in the 70s and no wind. But either you are flexible and constanly watch the weather report or you book something in advance and just deal with the fact that the weather could be a mixed bag. Living in Portland I just go to the coast for daytrips, so I watch for those summer days when the coast and warm...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,997,125 times
During the summer months when the I-5 corridor area heats up weatherwise, our coastal cool breezes seem to hit a wall bringing in the marine fog early in the afternoons keeping it cool on the beaches. Still wear a hoodie on the beach, if for no other reason to block the winds.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,303,312 times
This might be a little OT... but we had a track meet this morning. I was one of the volunteers and all the kids were out running - the winds were knocking the tent canopies over even though we had tried to use buckets filled with sand and bungee cords to keep them steady... and we could hardly see due to sideways rain and winds and my fingers were so cold I could barely give the ribbons out... the soaking wet ribbons! I only heard one person complain - and they had just moved here from Arizona. Everybody else just kept on keeping on. This is Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>