Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times

Advertisements

Yeah I've been hearing good things about Madison, too. I'll keep that in mind as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Default Now that's funny!!

those harsh, snowy winters sound nice compared to the rain and gloom of winter here - but it's the summers here I don't like, it doesn't rain for five months and the air gets real dirty

Harsh, snowy
: major understatement! Gloom? Wait until you can't go outside for two weeks because it's 30 below zero and the wind is howling through at 40-50 mph. You don't know gloom. You'll learn depression.

It doesn't rain for five months and the air gets real dirty: Well, the upper midwest will certainly change that. Keep in mind that the rain in summer comes with tornadoes and/or 70-80 mph straight line winds. How about 90 degrees and 80% humidity? Thermal inversions - you know what they are? In the cities dirty air is a byproduct. Really dirty air.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. 58 years in Iowa. When I retire, I'm leaving....

Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Yes, I can't imagine how 6+ months 30 degree cloudy, drizzly skies could compare to 6+ months of -10 degree blizzards and ice storms. I saw pictures of people in Portland with capris on in February! Yes, February! Where I am from, February mean running from the car to the house, never staying outside more than a few minutes because your eyelashes freeze shut. That kinda cold BITES you. It IMMOBILIZES you. You can feel it in your bones.

When you have to spend 6+ months in a house never going outside, in a town with no night life (40 miles from the nearest movie theater), thats when you know depression. Things get a little crazy then. It's called cabin fever.

So, I know I can handle the rain. Imagine a winter where I can actually go outside! I can't wait!

Granted, I will probably think "Oh, the rain isn't bad" the first year or so, but after awhile it will get to me, I'm sure. But the snow of Upper Michigan is what keeps the people away and makes it secluded, and the rain of Western Oregon is what keeps the people away there, so it puts things in perspective.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:52 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Oregon has good days and bad ,we are used to it you will see people wearing shorts there in 50 degree weather, but let me make sure I tell you this, you wont see alot of people outside enjoying the days, hiking, going to the beach in winter is impossible, I went once and there wasnt a single person on the beach just too cold. Rain is cold when it is 35 degrees outside and you get soaked running to your car to get the groceries, it gets warm during the summer, and humid not like the south though. Lived there all y life, we leftt o get away from the rain and the schools and the messed up government and lack of good jobs, it great if you are a doctor or into computers. Central Oregon is awesome! Seattle wins over Portland anyday. But it is fun to watch people trying to drive in the snow and ice storms!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 PM

when it gets 50 degrees where i am from, we do not only wear shorts, we call it "summertime." summertime is actually about 60 degree weather. and dear god, no one would go to the beach from october to may (unless you are ice fishing. which i've done, too). it doesn't even thaw until may.

and then after winter comes a summer filled with rain and cloudy skies, not a lot of sun or blue skies. when i went out west for the first time (colorado) i couldnt believe how blue the skies were compared to back home- just the sheer color of them. i was so used to haziness.

i do understand that you have to go through a blah winter period to experience a nice summer in certain places. believe me, i really understand that... and thats why i am sure i will do just fine.

like i said, i wont know till i get there and experience it for a few years. everyones opinions is relative to their experience. until you have lived through years of Yooper winters, you cannot understand either.

Also, i am going to portland not for money- for other reasons. i have lived in economically disadvantaged places all my life, money doesnt make me happy- its people, art, nature, and social causes that make me happy. i wouldnt trade the best jobs inthe world if i had to live in a place i didnt like. now, perhaps that place isnt oregon- but i wont find out until i get there. i've made up my mind to go, so we'll see. thank you for your opinions, but i've made up my mind.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Be sure to check out 23rd/Burnside in downtown. Got some terrific little shops there!! Also, Portlands Saturday Market is AWESOME!!! I used to go spend all day there. Wonderful stuff! Great place to get some very unique gifts.
Personally, to be honest, I lived by Portland for a long time. My mom lives there, but is moving to Bend. Its not for me. I dont truly enjoy it, but thats just because of my own personaly reasons. It does have a whole lot to offer. I have been both there, and Seattle. I liked parts of Seattle, but honestly like Portland much much more. If I had to chose, Id chose Portland over Seattle, Oregon over Washington in a heartbeat.
Go with an open mind, know you will find both ends of the spectrum, people w/more money than morals, and people who are begging for scraps. Just like anywhere else. Check out beautiful Forest Park, just be smart and go w/someone and/or carry cell phone/mace. Crime can happen anywhere. Come visit the beaches. I LIVE on the beach and ya, it can be cold and wet in the winter, but personaly, I LOVE the solitude of walking on a beach w/not another soul in sight. Our seas can be stormy, but you can find some treasures too (I once found a note in a bottle from a russian fisherman!!) You just put warm pants on, a sweatshirt and some raingear, and the beach can be yours. IMO, it sure as heck beats trying to find a spot to lay your towel along with thousands of other people! -- Oregon has much to offer. You just have to be willing to look for it sometimes and to accept some gray skies in the winter for it.
Good luck
Tiff

Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM

I wish you luck with your Oregon adventure.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM

but i just want to clarify- i appreciate everyone's honesty most of all! last thing i would want is for everyone to sugarcoat things. i'm glad i've received so many honest opinions about this, from one end of the argument to the other.

i hope it all works out- moving is such a gamble... but an adventure!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese
but i just want to clarify- i appreciate everyone's honesty most of all! last thing i would want is for everyone to sugarcoat things. i'm glad i've received so many honest opinions about this, from one end of the argument to the other.

i hope it all works out- moving is such a gamble... but an adventure!
Done it a few times, Oregon to Maryland to NC now AZ fun fun fun!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 02:17 AM

4 posts, read 62,142 times
Default Moving to Gresham

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a house in Gresham, but all i hear is negative things. so, I want to know, what's so bad about Gresham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon