Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
bw1 bw1 started this thread

25 posts, read 92,202 times

Advertisements

Avalon is a really cool place. True, it doesn't meet the New Urban ideal, but they have managed to create a town. The little town center is turning out really nice and is growing. To be true NU it would have mixed use within every 1/4 mi. radius outside of the town center. Ideally, also the roads would connect to the surrounding development better in all directions rather than funneling to only a couple of access points. The commercial area by the Publix is a suburban strip. Most of the retail should be in multi-story buildings with either office or residential above. I love the small downtown atmosphere they have created in the town center. I have been down there many times just to walk around and enjoy the ambiance. We went to a Christmas parade there last year and the town streets and blocks really work for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
I like it too. I was just at my friends house in Avalon Park a few mins ago. I enjoy being there. People on this forum make it seem like a ghetto, when really its a middle to upper class area. I know petty car burglaries occur sometimes when people don't lock their doors, but I've never seen any crime happen there. No one I know who live there had a crime happen to them, I feel 100% safe walking around, and I see tons of kids.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

167 posts, read 407,840 times
my wife and I love living here. Manicured lawns and beautiful homes.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 AM

217 posts, read 803,613 times
My wife and I drove through there on Sunday. It's gorgeous! We'd love to buy a house there, but, we own a business in Celebration. It would be absolute MURDER driving from Celebration to AP. So, at least for now.....We'll stay in Hunter's Creek.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:06 PM

207 posts, read 1,029,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Du Kwan View Post
It would be absolute MURDER driving from Celebration to AP. So, at least for now.....We'll stay in Hunter's Creek.
Have you checked out the new road they opened that connects the front door of Avalon Park to 528? It's exit 20, International Corporate Park Blvd.

It doesn't show opened on Google maps yet but it is. I mapped to Exit 20 using Google Directions and it's exactly 30 miles from Celebration to that point (then another 5 mins to Avalon entrance).

That would cut down your commute significantly I assume. One of the realtors I know around here says buyers used to be turned off to Avalon because of the road situation, but now that the extension is open (with full interchange coming soon) people are much more open to moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando