Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 29,938 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I'm new and am currently living in TN. I'm a nana to three grandchildren and am moving to central Florida. There are several reasons behind it and most are personal so am not sharing but the move is necessary.

I want to live within an hour's drive of Orlando - mainly the theme park areas. Not knowing the area of Florida other than looking at a map it's hard to determine what is an hours drive and since there are locals here I am sure you all can help me out. My family comes to Orlando to visit the theme parks several times a year as well as my son and daughter come on business so I want to be within an hours drive when they arrive in town to visit.

So please list all the cities that are within an hours drive and help this nana out. Of course, I am looking for a safer community. While I am in my 60s, I am more like in my 40s so want to be around young people and not only the old retired folks. I'll be looking into either condo's or apartments if that matters.

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
We measure our drive times not by miles, not by minutes, but by hours!

If you want to live in a city within an hour of the theme parks, then that is easy. Lakeland. Plant City. Polk City. They are smaller places but are pretty nice and Lakeland is up and coming. You could live on the North side of Orlando in the burbs too. (Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary). You could even live in Cocoa Beach and make it to the theme parks in about an hour. If I could live anywhere near Orlando (and didnt have to commute daily for a job) I would live on the coast somewhere.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Clermont, Leesburg (Lake County);
Oakland, Winter Garden, Ocoee (Orange County);
Davenport, Haines City, Lakeland (Polk County);
Kissimmee, St. Cloud (Osceola County)...

I live in Clermont which is a mix of retirees, young families and singles. Fairly easy commute to Disney -- lots of people here work at the theme parks.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
I'll give you the extreme N,S,E & W cities that are about 1 hour's drive from the Theme Parks (notice that I didn't say downtown Orlando, it makes a difference). Get a map, draw a circle connecting the dots and you can figure that anything inside those dots are less than 1 hour's drive in normal traffic.

North - Deland
South West (nothing is really one hour due south of Orlando) - Lakeland
East - Cocoa
West - Mascotte

Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I highly recommend Lakeland. It is beautiful, has a gorgeous restored downtown and is family and community oriented. Small town feel with bigger town amenities and less than an hour to either Tampa or Orlando. Great cost of living all around, lower property prices and taxes and insurance. Healthy economy too. We discovered it a couple months ago and fell in love with it so much we decided to move there - making plans as I type this. Can't go wrong here, IMO.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

28 posts, read 300,754 times
Auburndale, Winter Haven (home of Cyprus Gardens) are nice small towns, I also like the rolling hills in Clermont and north of there (Howie-in-the-Hills, Mt Dora, Leesburg).

One hour could be a distance, depending on how you drive, I would even consider eastern Tampa and the coast, cocoa, melbourne and with the new 429 toll road, you can go pretty far north and still be within an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando