Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,020 times

Advertisements

Try Faith World on Forest City Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Another thing I found strange here is that ppl wear shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops to church.
Well they dress that way when going to job fairs, and can't figure out why the don't get hired.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Try not to be too judgemental about what the buildings look like (it's tough to be 'design conscious when you house so many). And at least people are going to church regardless of what they are wearing, right?

There are worse things than having the people of God going to big places of worship in flip flops for Pete's sake! They could be tending to little crack houses all over the place...now which would be a worse thing for the community?

Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Thanks Parrotrosie...
Just a side note that this type of dress and church is not limited to Florida...I know that's going to disappoint some of those that had this on their list of things to hate about Florida but I went to my brother's church(that looked like a Morton building btw) outside of Chicago and most people were dress the exact same way.

So let's get back on subject and find the OP a mega church.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Try not to be too judgemental about what the buildings look like (it's tough to be 'design conscious when you house so many). And at least people are going to church regardless of what they are wearing, right?

There are worse things than having the people of God going to big places of worship in flip flops for Pete's sake! They could be tending to little crack houses all over the place...now which would be a worse thing for the community?
Yep. When you house a million people, you can't build the usual rectangular designed building. (Weren't the original Catholic churches designed to look like crosses)?

A lot of churches are now focusing on building "small groups." It's pretty much the new way of saying "Sunday School." Regardless of the size of the church, you will build more relationships with others through your participation in those groups than by just attending Sunday service alone. The larger churches are obviously going to need a lot of classroom space to hold the several classes, and therefore, that may lead architects to design buildings that are less traditional looking in order to accommodate that need.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post

I agree with you. I rather see them come to church like that than not going at all. It just seemed strange to me b/c when we were growing up we always got dressed up in our nice clothes for church. I guess times have changed though.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
free chapel is unique and NOTHING can be like it and btw free chapel is in GAINSVILLE not atlanta get your facts strait >.<

Old 01-15-2012, 04:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I would expect the Baptist Church on John Young and I4 would qualify. They have a massive complex. It looks like a resort with all the buildings and activities. They have the 15'th largest pipe organ in the world.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM

626 posts, read 975,705 times
The most beautiful church I've ever seen and is humongeous, is "Mary Queen of the Universe", on 4. That's where we go and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando