Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the plans for SunRail be terminated?
Yes, it's unconstitutional & this lawsuit might do the trick. 0 0%
No, it will be an asset to our community that's worth the price. 45 67.16%
Yes, even if it's "legal", predictions show it will never turn a profit. 8 11.94%
No, for another reason I'll specify in post. 2 2.99%
Yes, We could use the 1/2 billion set aside to fund other budget shortcomings. 9 13.43%
Yes, for another reason I'll specify in post. 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,031,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So, let me get this straight. Non-Northern transplants won't use it? Why do you think that other people might not give it a try?

I have news for Falconer. Public transit is rarely, if ever profitable anywhere in the WORLD.

I wonder just how profitable he thinks I-4 is?
This is what I was thinking...where is commuter rail profitable? It's for the people and for the community as a whole, not for a profit. And while the rail line itself will never see a profit, the areas that it serves will...especially the Park Ave and downtown restaurants and shops. This will be a huge win for the Magic as well where people will be short on parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,915,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
This is what I was thinking...where is commuter rail profitable? It's for the people and for the community as a whole, not for a profit. And while the rail line itself will never see a profit, the areas that it serves will...especially the Park Ave and downtown restaurants and shops. This will be a huge win for the Magic as well where people will be short on parking.
The Magic should consider subsidizing trains to run before and after home games, I know I would ride it after having a few affordable beers at my place before heading out to a game. I'd also use it to go downtown and have a good time once in awhile. I don't go out now in order to save money on cabs and DUI's.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,198,335 times
In Orlando we have short term thinking ****** in office. Therefore we can not get a lot done. I swear soon as I get the chance I'm off to Tampa or Miami. They get things done. I hate the people here who say *I Don't Want Too See Change, Yet They Are on Channel 9,6,2,3,35,or13 Talking **** about what Orlando needs and should have*

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,309,774 times
My fears? Take a look at everything done to date around Tampa Bay....Crosstown, Trolley's downtown Tampa to name a few....Such great ideas, SO MISmanaged financially. Not that I don't like them...it has nothing to do with their usefulness mind you. There is so much corruption in these sorts of projects they OOZE with distain. First off, if they don't tie the rail from TIA to Orlando airport hitting all the key points in between...as a FIRST phase, I will bank on a flop. Sorry, just my opinion and that's providing there are no mismanagement of funds. Experience talking here. It has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,993 times
I say kill high speed rail. The future plans does not consider Downtown Orlando, and it is not fair.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
In Orlando we have short term thinking ****** in office. Therefore we can not get a lot done. I swear soon as I get the chance I'm off to Tampa or Miami. They get things done. I hate the people here who say *I Don't Want Too See Change, Yet They Are on Channel 9,6,2,3,35,or13 Talking **** about what Orlando needs and should have*
Since this is a thread about rail can we assume that what you're saying is that Tampa and Miami get it done with rail?? If so, tell me what rail project in Tampa or Miami for that matter has shown any success??

I'm not against change and would love to see Orlando embrace public transit as well as many other urban amenities, but the cost is too great. I mean where does all this money to build a high speed choo-choo to nowhere come from?? Who in the world is going to pay more than it would cost to drive yourself to go to downtown Tampa from OIA?? It's almost laughable since once you get to Tampa, then what?? Rent a car lol?? Wait, I got it!!!! Tourists staying at Disney will pay to take the high speed rail to Celebration and then get on another Disney bus to reach their individual resort instead of taking advantage of the already free Magical Express that drops them off at their hotel lobby while their bags are automatically claimed and waiting for them in their room.

As for SunRail, let's say I live in Altamonte Springs, about a 12-15 mile commute to downtown Orlando tops. Even between 8-9am, that drive takes about 20 minutes. I sit in my car, listen to my radio blasting, and cruise on down I-4. Or I could drive 3 miles to the Altamonte SunRail station, which is out of the way and requires me crossing I-4 on 436. A drive that by itself can take 8-12 minutes. Then I could park, wait 5-10 minutes for my train, and pay a fare just to get downtown. Assuming that I don't work right at the downtown station, I must now factor in another 5-10 minutes to walk to my job.

This scenario is why I think rail is a poor investment, not that I wish to resist change. I like Orlando the way it is and don't ever see it being a city where people are whisked to all parts via these so-called interconnected trains. Of course it's been great to watch the metro population almost triple in my lifetime, we've become a big city in so many ways but in others not so much. I like the balance we have and do not believe for a second that it's right to saddle debt to our future in the name of public transit.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,845,037 times
They tried putting a commuter rail system in Nashville called the Music City Star, No one rides it. I believe it costs $8 one way and by the time you spend $16 a day ($80 a week) it's cheaper just to drive your car..

Not sure how much they would charge for the SunRail but imho, if it's going to take alot to build, they're gonna try to get it back in fares.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
They tried putting a commuter rail system in Nashville called the Music City Star, No one rides it. I believe it costs $8 one way and by the time you spend $16 a day ($80 a week) it's cheaper just to drive your car..

Not sure how much they would charge for the SunRail but imho, if it's going to take alot to build, they're gonna try to get it back in fares.
Agreed TXRyan, the Nashville commuter train looks really nice and creates a more cosmopolitan feel for the area, but it's a rip.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,032,123 times
The reality of public transit is that the more people who ride it the cheaper the fare will be, unfortunately in the beginning fare must be just right which is a very very difficult thing to do. But I do believe people will ride it. Especially the 436/University Blvd area, the Avalon Park area, Metrowest, and Fern Park areas. People are always waiting for the current buses in these places. Likewise OBT and Sandlake will get a lot of use for it.

Will your average suburban upper-middle class person be reluctant to use it? Yes. And that is the general demographic of City-Data so the results you are going to get is completely flawed on here.

You're right that the rail in itself will leave you in destinations that might then require a car or other service. So you transfer to a bus or you walk. The bus system has been improved and will continue to improve.

As for the 3 miles from your door to the Altamonte station, you can ride a bus or take a bike. A 3 mile bike ride takes about 21 minute.

The biggest hurdles will be:
1. Community Awareness and Incentives
2. Increased bus and bike support
3. Increased services for taxi cabs
4. And this is a big and often overlooked one is that the bus stops need to have coverage here. All along Semoran people wait for the bus just standing out by the median on the side of the road. It needs more than that. It should have a covered area every 150 ft or so and certainly by the entrances to residential areas.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
"A 3 mile bike ride takes about 21 minute."

Yes I can see many people riding bikes here in 95 degree weather. And they will smell great on the train to....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando