Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM

90 posts, read 241,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
IMO stay in the the Military for now if you can. This economy is not strong on the outside. Go for the 20 year and retirement if you can deal with it and have potential for growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsfamily View Post
Looking to bring my family south to Florida, and would like to live in the Orlando area possibly.

Are there any places hiring with stability and etc? I have a degree in criminal justice, and will have been in the military just over 5 years upon discharge.

Thanks!!
I was in the Air Force and decided to get out at the last minute. The four years I was in was during peace time. 1983-1987. I can see why you would want to get out, being in the military right now. You are dealing with the military in war mode! I worked in medical administration and it was like working in an office enviornment. You will have served your
country and done your part. And the world keeps getting crazy, any thing can happen and right or wrong, The President is your commander in cheif,and you mean basically nothing much to the leaders in command, just like playing with army men and you have know choice but to follow orders,
Dude, you've done something most other people don't ever do except watching it on TV and sit around saying "we should kick so and so's ass"
etc. like you are video game.
Orlando is a great place to live and a huge VA medical center is opening soon and you would have first choice at jobs there that the don't allow
civilians to apply.
Job market is bad but you may be chosen over other applicants due to your honorable dischage. You are also entitled to take the Postal exam whenever they have one. That's what I did when I first got out. I hated working there, it was worse than a military enviornment. My supervisor continually would walk around with a cane and circled the room tapping his cane on the floor or peoples desks. I was putting mail in the mail boxes and he came to speak with me. He raised the cane and was pointing it in my face, so I quit. I had to deal with everybody being so upset because
The US Post Office is a dream job and you were set for life and I quit it with a no rehire status.

I don't know what you were trained in. The best thing to do is go through a temp agency and if they like your work they may hire you if a postion opens up. I worked as a bellman at Disney for ten years because that was a very good way to make a lot of money. Then I worked atFlorida Hospital in the admissions department. Then a friend reffered me to AT & T Wireless and I got a job in the call center. Heard they were hiring some of the temps at Sprint to anwer questions about DSL, it was a brand new thing. So I took the risk and left my job and became a temp at Sprint. I got hired in two days, it was call center work again but paid a lot more for than the job I quit. Then a friend referred me to Charles Schwab brokerage company and paid a lot more with better benefits. My ten year anniversary with Shwab is coming up.

So the best thing to do is go to a temp agency, we are using temps at Schwab and when the economy gets better they plan on hiring most of them!

Move to Orlando, it's hard to get a job anywhere so why not?

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,333,306 times
Quote:
Orlando is a great place to live and a huge VA medical center is opening soon and you would have first choice at jobs there that the don't allow civilians to apply.
This is what my husband is hoping will happen with him (honorably discharged former marine, etc.) with V.A./hospital experience.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 PM

90 posts, read 241,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
This is what my husband is hoping will happen with him (honorably discharged former marine, etc.) with V.A./hospital experience.
I'm hoping for the same!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Good luck to you!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,591,748 times
Quote:
Have any of you all that keep recommending he stay in the military ever actually been in the military?

Semper Fi.

And I currently have two godsons in the Marines.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM

My husband would say Semper Fi right back to you but he still wouldn't recommend staying in for 20 years.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,591,748 times
Quote:
My husband would say Semper Fi right back to you but he still wouldn't recommend staying in for 20 years.
In the economy of six years ago, I would not have said it either. But in the current economy, I would stay in until the economy turns back upwards. And probably try to learn akills usable with the civs.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

53 posts, read 110,310 times
thanks for all the ideas/help guys!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,157,969 times
You should do 4 more years in the military. This economy is going to get much worse. Really reconsider getting out. If you hate it, well then get out, but at least go back to college if you can and get a real skill.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
but at least go back to college if you can and get a real skill.

Quote:
I have a degree in criminal justice

Either you didn't pay attention to his original post or a degree in criminal justice means jack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando