Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM

73 posts, read 157,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Excellent post. You truly express the Disney Magic yourself. Best luck in Orlando, our wonderful city.
Thank you. I can't wait to be there !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM

193 posts, read 623,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
What about "behind the scene" tours. My dh and I are particularly interested in things like set design, engineering and gardening. A tour of the greenhouses, watching them create the topiaries, etc., would be fabulous.
Here's the link that describes Disney's WDW tours and special experiences. I've done the Keys to the Kingdom, while hubba was playing golf, and I really enjoyed the experience.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Since you don't want to do the rides and have been there before, I say get park hoppers, but skip the Magic Kingdom except for going to see the fireworks they do at Christmas. If you haven't seen Illuminations at EPCOT or even if you have it is spectacular at Christmas. Definitely do not miss Candlelight Processional either. Check out Disney Studios and do the exhibits people tend to just walk by without going in. Also go to Fantasmic and to the Osborne Lights exhibit. The reason for park hoppers you can change parks if one is too busy or just to see the parade and fireworks. If you have never gone to the waterparks try one of those, too. Downtown Disney is also another of our favorite places to go before Christmas.
With only 5 days I would stay on property. Some of the hotels are decorated really beautifully for Christmas. Disney buses will get you to everything on property. You might also want to check out Sea World. They have some special shows at Christmas, too. Gaylord Palms was also a great suggestion.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCamper View Post
My second and third, respectively, is Beauty and the Beast and then Cirque du Soliel (sp). The Cirque show does cost extra and is pricey. If you want to laugh, take in the Hoop dee doo Review at the WDW campground, (Fort Wilderness).
We did the Cirque show last time we were there and it was definitely worth it (although yes, it is pricey). Any particular recs for a good restaurant in Downtown Disney for the night we go to Cirque? Last time we went to Planet Hollywoood which was so-so. I'd like to find a better place, not necessarily touristy but a place the locals like.

Never tried the Hoopde doo, in fact I don't think we even went to the Wilderness area last time. There's lots to do there just as part of the campground, as I recall. We'll have to explore it this time.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

By the way, thanks for all the help. Yes, I'm also going to check out the disney forums, but I hope you don't mind me asking this on city-data, too. I sort of trust CD replies more, it's less likely I'll encounter a salesman here. And I've been reading the Orlando forum for years and feel like I know some of you. So I have an idea of who's going to be on the same wavelength as me.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM

193 posts, read 623,900 times
Quote:
W Any particular recs for a good restaurant in Downtown Disney for the night we go to Cirque? Last time we went to Planet Hollywoood which was so-so. I'd like to find a better place, not necessarily touristy but a place the locals like.
nice $$$ but still casual is the Dining Room upstairs at Wolfgang Puck's

Portobello is a decent Italian restaurant we frequent.
Raglan Road for the music and the Guinness.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
There are watercraft at several of the WDW resorts, however canoeing and kayaking only at a few. I think that Port Orleans offers the best canoeing, as the Sassagoula River is a decent length and you can paddle around by the two Port Orleans resorts and Old Key West Resort. The river goes all the way to Downtown Disney, but I don't know how far out you can kayak.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Since you don't want to do the rides and have been there before, I say get park hoppers, but skip the Magic Kingdom except for going to see the fireworks they do at Christmas. If you haven't seen Illuminations at EPCOT or even if you have it is spectacular at Christmas. Definitely do not miss Candlelight Processional either. Check out Disney Studios and do the exhibits people tend to just walk by without going in. Also go to Fantasmic and to the Osborne Lights exhibit. The reason for park hoppers you can change parks if one is too busy or just to see the parade and fireworks. If you have never gone to the waterparks try one of those, too. Downtown Disney is also another of our favorite places to go before Christmas.
With only 5 days I would stay on property. Some of the hotels are decorated really beautifully for Christmas. Disney buses will get you to everything on property. You might also want to check out Sea World. They have some special shows at Christmas, too. Gaylord Palms was also a great suggestion.
I can't say I agree about the park hoppers in this case. With 5 days and no desire to hit any rides I see no point in that. I think you just hit 1 park per day with that much time. I only think park hoppers are worth it for people with limited time, or for people that want to wring every second out of Extra Magic Hours flipping between EMH and non-EMH parks to stay away from crowds. I agree they should stay on property...I always recommend that to anyone going to Disney as it makes a big difference in the experience.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I can't say I agree about the park hoppers in this case.
That's what we were thinking too. The parkhopper is kind of pricey and I think the only parks we might go into would be Epcot or Animal Kingdom. I think we'd rather spend the money renting a boat or going out to eat. You can see the fireworks from outside the park by going out onto the lake, right?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
That's what we were thinking too. The parkhopper is kind of pricey and I think the only parks we might go into would be Epcot or Animal Kingdom. I think we'd rather spend the money renting a boat or going out to eat. You can see the fireworks from outside the park by going out onto the lake, right?

If you haven't already...go check out Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor also. Lot's of Disney experts there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando