U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 49,716 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the incredible meteor that shot across the sky around 10:00 pm? It was bright orange, left a long tail and covered at least 2/3 of the sky! We had just started watching in the Avalon Park area, and needless to say, we were sorely disappointed with any meteor we saw after that!

I'm curious to know what made this meteor so incredible compared to any other I've ever seen. If we hadn't know that it was a meteor shower, I may have been a little scared!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,583,797 times
I went out periodically throughout the night and didn't see anything.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 AM

193 posts, read 590,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyberry View Post
Did anyone see the incredible meteor that shot across the sky around 10:00 pm? It was bright orange, left a long tail and covered at least 2/3 of the sky! We had just started watching in the Avalon Park area, and needless to say, we were sorely disappointed with any meteor we saw after that!

I'm curious to know what made this meteor so incredible compared to any other I've ever seen. If we hadn't know that it was a meteor shower, I may have been a little scared!
It was just one from the Perseid meteor showers that happen every year in mid August. Atmospheric condtions were right for you to see them.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 AM

793 posts, read 2,364,249 times
Viewed a decent meteor around midnight last night, tried to see the Perseid Meteor Shower when the local news gave the best times but nothing when I peeked out but last night made up for it.

Hope this helps,

Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,583,797 times
So it appeared that the real show didn't start until right before dawn. Next time instead of staying up late I'll just wake up early and see if I catch the show.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 AM

11 posts, read 49,716 times
Yeah, I knew it was part of the Perseids, but it was just much more incredible than any meteor I've ever seen in any meteor shower! I think as the night went on, the meteors became more frequent, but still relatively small. I seriously would have been worried a fireball was about to hit East Orlando had I not known about the Perseids!!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
I took the dog out around 10:15 all at once my dog looked up, he never looks up so I looked up to see an orange fire ball traveling from northeast to the south. I had no idea what I was looking at but I knew this was not a plane. What was also amazing was how long I could see it, seems like close to a minute. Also I was a shocked at how large it seemed, like looking at a penny 10 feet away. I live in Antioch Illinois.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,576,964 times
I saw one on August 18th as I was driving home to South Florida from Orlando,it didn't last long but kinda freaked me out because it looked like it either came down or burned up about 500 feet in front of me as I was driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando