Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM

27 posts, read 117,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertorro View Post
crime at Orlando ...is it that bad?
If you practice regular precautions and avoid the bad areas you will be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 55,738 times
Can someone tell me what the bad areas are?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 42,418 times
Hi blueoctober,
I noticed that you live in downtown Orlando. I have just accepted a job on Semoran Blvd. Where would you begin a search for an apartment nearby if you were looking?
I'll be moving from Kentucky so I know nothing about downtown Orlando living.
Thanks,
Joyce

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Default 25 yrs and counting

Well, I've been here for 25 years and have lived on the west side for 18 of them....
There are gangs yes, but what city doesn't have them? Are they running amok in the streets shooting everything that moves????...no of course not.
I nor anyone I know has been a victim of a violent crime..Do that mean it doesn't happen..no
I live about 2 blocks out of Pine Hills and have never been robbed, beaten raped or murdered.
Orlando, like anyplace else you choose to call home, is what you make of it.
It is a thriving growing metropolis. Anyone who says there is nothing to do here, is either extremely high maintainence or impossible to please.
Unlike other opinions stated here, all the local law enforcement departments are well trained and care about what they do. But sadly they are all understaffed but that is a whole different politcal argument. General public taking resposibility, budget blindness...blah blah blah.
I would not trade my westside home for the traffic nightmare elsewhere for any amount of $$$.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jercie View Post
Hi blueoctober,
I noticed that you live in downtown Orlando. I have just accepted a job on Semoran Blvd. Where would you begin a search for an apartment nearby if you were looking?
Thanks,
Joyce
Kentucky to Florida is a big change - I moved here from Tennessee! Semoran is not really considered downtown. Can you tell me a little more about where on Semoran? Then I can help you with places to live. If it's near Colonial or Lake Underhill then I can definitely help you! If it's near Casselberry or Altamonte Springs I can also help. Just let me know here or PM!

Semoran (Is also known as Hwy 436) runs from Apopka down to the Airport so it covers a lot of area!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM

18 posts, read 138,188 times
I have lived here for 3 years and still love it!! I love going to the theme parks whenever I feel like it. I love having 2 beach coasts to choose from. I love having so many vacation destinations that I have just begun to explore. I am very happy I moved here all the way from cold WI!

Sure people talk about the crime. Keep strong street sense and avoid the bad areas and you should be fine. I think a lot of people go about with a very naive thought about their safety. Just be aware of your surroundings - like you should do in any big city. I love living in central florida!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,528 times
to be honest, i worry about the ppl driving around here and causing accidents more than the crime problem. driving in orlando = the pits!!!

i am sick of the inconsideration and rude behavior on the roads in orlando. i would move out of this city for that reason alone.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
[b]
It will be a different ballpark and some of the new realities in Orlando might not be what people expect or want to deal with.... I say this witha heavy heart as I loveD Orlando, but it has become a nasty town to live in.
You are way over the top with your exagerrations about how bad it is in Orlando. I love it here. We have major room for improvement in isolated parts of town, but there are some very good signs that we're heading in the right direction.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jercie View Post
Hi blueoctober,
Thanks,
Joyce
There are plenty of great apartment choices most anywhere near Semoran. I would tend to look at side roads near where you're going to work, though, to make life less stressful. Semoran is a major headache to drive on and cross in a lot of places. It's way too wide and too crowded. Where on Semoran is your new job?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I just wanted to post this because i have tryed to argue with out of state-ers about us really having a major crime issue....and now i just wanna say why i like it here and hope others will tell your stories of why you like it here in Orlando.

I have lived in the Orlando area for about 7 years now and seen alot change (people getting more aggresive and higher crime) and seen some things stay the same (bad traffic, nice weather, lots of things to do, and good looking women)

No matter how many times i hear someone say ther's nothing to do or this/that closes to early...i know that this is a destination that millions of people come to year round.....

We have awesome weather and personally i think only california can really compete with our weather as far as sunshine and nice sunsets......

We have some of the worlds best beaches only 45 min to an hour and 20 minutes away on both sides of the state.....i personally love the gulf coast beaches more than the east coast beaches but they are really different from each other and that gives us some diversity and choices of what kinda sun-n-fun we want to enjoy here in Florida...

We have a ton of clubs in Orlando......if that's your flavor....we have the "Citywalk" clubs at Universal studios which are more layed back for vacationers or just people that want to relax....we have the "Pleasure Island" clubs for a more party type of atmosphere......then there are some Clubs on I-Drive like "Glo" or "Destiny Nightclub" or "Hush"....these are alright but they seem to be more for the local crowd and do have some good set-ups for the way they look except for club "HUSH"....that is a ghetto club near the tourists.......then there are the real ghetto clubs....places like "Tropical Magic" ,...the "1,2,3, club" in Altamonte....among many others i don't even know the name too.....then there are the strip joints located throughout Orlando for those perverts out there who wanna get thier dry hump on.....i used to go so i won't lie...i went to "Diamond Club" and " some of the other strip joints off of Colonial and up in Altamonte and Cassleberry....but not "Racheal's" ....remember that is the club where the Magic players got caught in sexual acts.......and then there is Downtown Orlando...which is the true club scene in Orlando...lots of different clubs and bars of all different genres........ive seen ambulances out there alot and pepper spray being used in "Tabu" a couple times but if you just chill out you will be ok....just watch your surroundings near the parking areas and side streets......

Then there are just beautifull diverse areas of town.....like Winter park, Doctor Phillips, Altamonte by Cranes Roost Park, Oviedo is pretty nice too, and I like Waterford lakes too.....and Maitland is a nice area by the Sportsplex.....Then there is that section near downtown with all of those old houses and it has a nice feel to it......but dont get me wrong ive heard on the news and seen for myself and heard stories about crime and other bad things in "all" of these nice areas.....

Well who else out there likes living in O-Town?
I'm almost 18 and I have to say that I love it here. I spent my first 12 years of life in Orange County before moving to Connecticut and I loved every second of it. My family recently returned last year. I honestly can't see myself in any other city with the exception of Miami (the girls alone are worth living there) But please allow me to elaborate

Traffic is bad yes, but her's is why it doesn't get me mad. I always leave ahead of time knowing that there will be traffic so therefore if I have plenty of time I have nothing to worry about.

Crime is another bad thing, but here is why it doesn't scare me, Having lived here for so long I know the good and bad parts of town, and I know what streets are safe and what aren't. Orlando has some beautiful and great neighborhoods (Hunters Creek, Dr Phillips, Waterford Lakes, Baldwin Park, Bay Hill (where Tiger Woods lives) College Park, Fairview Shores, Conway, and many more.

Actually looking at neighborhoods Orlando has more good then bad. Bad places (Pine Hills, Rosemont, Ocoee, Carver and Washington Shores, Parramore, Rio Grande, Oak Ridge) and I usually avoid those areas.

Orlando has good looking women no question

Orlando has tons to do no question

And I'm willing to take high insurance, crime and traffic rather then shoveling snow in dank dark and dreary Connecticut. I love Orlando and I don't think I'll ever leave. This is a nice city and a good place to raise a family.

And whoever said the Orlando Police and Orange County Sheriffs are lazy has no idea what kind of crap those guys go through sometimes. They are doing there job to keep us safe, they do their best and I have full faith in them to protect me or my friends and family if needbe.

I love Orlando and anybody who puts this city down with their negative comments can kiss my ass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando