Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM

73 posts, read 157,419 times

Advertisements

Some really great ideas. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I believe you can go to the computer lab at one of the Orange County Public Libraries and use Rosetta Stone there. I at least remember seeing that on a schedule in the past. That beats paying $500 for something that may not work. At least you can try it before you buy it.
I don't know if they have it now, they used to but changed to different software after Rosetta Stone changed their rules for organizations. But I haven't looked for a while so it could be back. When they had it, you could actually use it from your home computer (over the internet, you didn't get a disk) as long as you had a library card.

-Harry

Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCamper View Post
Does Rosetta Stone work? Wonder if it's on e-bay? Thanks for the idea.
Rosetta Stone is a good program, although (like any language software or classroom instruction) you do need to supplement it with real-world practice. Although Orlando isn't even vaguely close to being "largely a Spanish speaking city" as a previous poster stated, there are certainly plenty of Spanish speaking residents that will allow you to have plenty of practice.

As for another poster's suggestion that you return it for a full refund even if it was satisfactory; I don't even know how to respond to that.

-Harry

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
Rosetta Stone is a good program, although (like any language software or classroom instruction) you do need to supplement it with real-world practice. Although Orlando isn't even vaguely close to being "largely a Spanish speaking city" as a previous poster stated, there are certainly plenty of Spanish speaking residents that will allow you to have plenty of practice.

As for another poster's suggestion that you return it for a full refund even if it was satisfactory; I don't even know how to respond to that.

-Harry

Large (adj): Of considerable or relatively great size, extent, or capacity. Syn: Great, Huge, Sizable, Substantial

Orlando Metro has a sizable Spanish population.

Many of the areas particularly around Disney are even more Spanish speaking. 42% of Kissimmee is Hispanic. Buena Ventura Lakes is 55% Hispanic. Orlando is 25% Hispanic on its own. Still what most would consider a sizable amount. 1 out of every 4 people living in Orlando are Hispanic. That ratio goes up closer to 2 to 1 as you approach Disney.

And for the record I never said Orlando, I said the city they will be living in which sounds more like Kissimmee than Orlando since not many residential parts of Orlando are close to Disney.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM

197 posts, read 751,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCamper View Post
Once I move to the area, I'd like to learn to speak Spanish. Does anyone have any ideas where this can be done for free or a reasonable price?
Although many people recommend Rosetta Stone (very expensive), it does not teach you grammar, etc. I learned a lot from a set of 4 books I purchased from Costco for about $30. It's from Penton Overseas, Inc. called "Speak in a Week". There's another similar one from the same company that wasn't very good. Be sure to get the one with the illustrated cartoons. I have bought several Spanish programs and this is the one that I learned the most about speaking Spanish.

Adios amigo.

iuki

Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM

73 posts, read 157,419 times
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I should be off to a good start with these ideas to research.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,073 times
If you really want to learn for free, go check out your local library. The resources won't get any better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando