Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times

Advertisements

I agree that our news and media here are constantly trying to out "Casey Anthony" each other. They really do focus on the bad and sensationalize it when there are some great positive happenings and stories in our community everyday.

To the OP, I think it may just have to do with the physical appearance of the area. It's a mix of somewhat urban and suburban area. Lake Lilly itself is beautiful but 17-92 running next to it is nothing to brag about. Also, the lighting in that area is funky. It gives off a yellow glow which makes the area seem kinda eery...to me anyways. I've been running there during the day and it's nice, but I admit, it does get a little spooky at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
The truth is there is so much crime in Orlando now that they don't have the time or paper to report everything. Fourteen years ago, I watched a robbery at an Albertson's and it never even made the papers. And now, it's worse. There is not any time or room for "happy" stories. You can turn of the television, kind of like a one-year-old putting his chubby hands over his eyes and thinking no one can see him, but the crime isn't getting any better in Orlando.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The truth is there is so much crime in Orlando now that they don't have the time or paper to report everything. Fourteen years ago, I watched a robbery at an Albertson's and it never even made the papers. And now, it's worse. There is not any time or room for "happy" stories. You can turn of the television, kind of like a one-year-old putting his chubby hands over his eyes and thinking no one can see him, but the crime isn't getting any better in Orlando.
Again....I must correct a blatantly false statement that 'crime isn't getting any better in Orlando'....just a false statement on its face. See the attached article, specifically the crime statistics related to Orange County and Central Florida

FDLE: Crime in Florida hits 39-year low - Orlando Sentinel

It most certainly HAS gotten better in 2009 and is on track to be better again in 2010 in all categories. Don't let the ever pessimistic and ne'r do wells drag you down in this world. I am not saying, you should have a false sense of security and not use common sense...however..you should not feel 'unsafe' everywhere. That being said, we are blessed as human beings with the gift of intuition. If you have an sense that you are unsafe, maybe you will be better off if you are able to move...your mood and mental well being may benefit from it. Maitland is not know for it's lurking dangers however.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,183 times
In all honesty Maitland is a relatively safe place, and if you don't feel secure there, or anywhere for that matter, get a handgun and go get a concealed weapons license. It's the American thing to do. In the state of Florida you can shoot somebody if you feel "grave" threat.

And to all the ppl saying news is sensationalized, so they're making up the robberies and the shootings that're happening in Central Florida? And, it's human nature to wanna watch bad things happen to people, so that will never change.

The same type of people that say news is sensationalized and that too much negativity is being reported are the same ones that'll resent the media for not reporting crime when something happens to them. The fact is Orlando is getting worse because the city is expanding, and with more good people comes more bad people. Again, we need stricter laws for people to feel safe in Orlando.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
No matter where you live there are always areas that are relatively safer than others.

Maitland is relatively safer; however, that doesn't mean you should ever let your guard down. Always, always, LISTEN to your 6th sense!!!

Orlando, and Florida in general, has a lot of transients, immigrants, (legal and otherwise) and IMO a higher drug presence. Plus, the weather makes crime a more easily doable 12 month occupation.

hiknapster is correct. All crime is not reported. It sure isn't on Disney property.
Orlando isn't unique in that area - lots of tourist destination cities don't report crime for fear of turning away people.

Situational awareness is key here, and also Florida recognizes the Constitution's 2nd amendment so you can secure a concealed carry weapons permit. What's that American Express slogan? - don't leave home without it!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 20,059 times
Hey everyone. Thank you for your posts. To be honest I didn't think anyone would reply back but its nice to see that 14 people decided to respond. I feel a lot better after reading these posts. I've thought about getting a concealed carry weapons permit but I'm not too sure how it would go over with the fiancee... I guess there is only one way to find out. "Look honey.. Look what i got as a new toy" lol hehe

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
All crime is not reported. It sure isn't on Disney property.
Orlando isn't unique in that area - lots of tourist destination cities don't report crime for fear of turning away people.
Disney is horrible about covering up the crime that goes on there, and a good portion of Florida does the same, including Orlando. After the jackings of tourists in Miami a couple of decades ago, where tourism dropped like a rock, everyone has learned their lesson.

Crime rate down or up, Orlando is a high-crime city. Period.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmehenge View Post
Hey everyone. Thank you for your posts. To be honest I didn't think anyone would reply back but its nice to see that 14 people decided to respond. I feel a lot better after reading these posts. I've thought about getting a concealed carry weapons permit but I'm not too sure how it would go over with the fiancee... I guess there is only one way to find out. "Look honey.. Look what i got as a new toy" lol hehe

Thanks again everyone!
The big question you have to ask yourself before you do so, is , if you ever feel threatened, could you, would you , kill another human being. And, could you live with yourself afterward. It's no game.

I have a carry permit, I rarely carry, however, I have. It's a hard question to ask yourself. And not one that can be answered on a public forum board. If you do get one, be sure you practice with it, and go take some firearms training on self defense at home and in public places. They are two different environments totally. Guns are serious business! Take care!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
your instincts are great. its orlando that has issues, not you.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Disney is horrible about covering up the crime that goes on there, and a good portion of Florida does the same, including Orlando. After the jackings of tourists in Miami a couple of decades ago, where tourism dropped like a rock, everyone has learned their lesson.

Crime rate down or up, Orlando is a high-crime city. Period.
Orlando may be getting there, but I still can't compare it to large cities like NY...or Philly...which have much denser populations. See this link for a list of city info (linked as 'spreadsheet' in the article) These are 2009 statistics.
In 2009, Chicago's murder rate was three times higher than New York City's and its rate of violent crime was double the rate for Los Angeles - Chicago Muckrakers

Orlando has actual murders of 28, and a per capita rate of 11.91 with a population of 235,109 over 77 square miles of city. only 300 people per square mile on average.... It's ranked as a #21 most violent city. (murder rank is 53)

New York has actual murders of 471, and a per capita rate of 5.60 with a population of 8,400,907 over 305 square miles of city. 27,543 people per square mile on average....and it's ranked as #135 most violent city (murder rank is 123)

Baltimore has actual murders of 238, and a per capita rate of 37.26 with a population of 638,755 over 92 square miles of city. 6942 people per square mile on average....and it's ranked as #7 most violent city (murder rank is 5) (now this is a baaad city...)

So, are there cities out there with less crime? Sure! Are there ones with more? Lots more? Yup. Given the overcrowding in other cities ...I will take Orlando and it's growing pains. Given time, the city will sort the issues out, and seems to be doing a fine job. In a place with such attractions and things to draw folks to it...it is bound to draw some undesireables...no doubt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando