Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NFL in Orlando, would it work?
Yes 30 42.86%
No 40 57.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williecpt View Post
I think the NBA could work in Tampa and the NFL would also work in Orlando.

As for the NBA in Tampa, we can use Arena Football attendance as an example. Both Tampa and Orlando have arena teams and each draw an average of 15,237 and 11,204 respectfully.

Both cities rank 1st and 2nd in league overall attendance. Based on those numbers I think both cities could support NBA considering they already draw high numbers in Arena Ball.

Tampa already has the St.Pete Times Forum they could use, actually the Heat are Magic are playing an pre season game there. Does anyone know if an NBA team has ever been considered in the Tampa area?
I am thinking that neither arena football nor NBA tickets run half the price of NFL tickets either. The cost of NFL is exhorbitant. Add in there is not a 'fan base' for an Orlando team...I say it's a non starter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williecpt View Post
I agree with moving the team to Orlando as well, the stadium is a big issue since I hear the Citrus Bowl is terrible, think Im gonna check out a Tuskers UFL game to see the stadium in person. But I'm pretty sure building a new stadium from scratch is a necessity.
This is true, but that means Buddy and Richie would have to spend even MORE money that Orlando and Orange County don't have

I support Orlando growing up to be a world class city 100% but I think Buddy, Richie and their commissioner cronies should have waited until their tax revenues improved

Raising tolls again is not the answer

Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I am thinking that neither arena football nor NBA tickets run half the price of NFL tickets either. The cost of NFL is exhorbitant. Add in there is not a 'fan base' for an Orlando team...I say it's a non starter....
There is a fan base, but it would have to be built up. Remember most Orlando residents are from somewhere else...and they usually support their home teams from wherever they came from

Im fron Connecticut originally and have always loved the NE Patriots. But thats definitely not to say I wouldnt supprt an Orlando team (I cant now for obviosu location reasons)

And Im willing to bet the city could get behind an Orlando NFL team the way it does for the Magic, even though most NBA fans in Orlando like other teams

Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 AM

90 posts, read 242,212 times
In the past, everytime there was an expansion in pro sports teams, Orlando usually put a package together and bid for a team. That's how we got the Magic. Orlando had a good bid for a pro baseball team when the Marlins and the Rays were added. Unfortunately when the NFL was expanding, Orlando Mayor Glenda Hood totally ignored it and didn't put a bid in for Orlando, she was too busy focusing on other issues that dealt with tourism and conventions. Jacksonville actually included Orlando in its fan base, just like Tampa Bay did back in the 70s. It really doesn't make sense to say that everyone in Orlando is from somewhere else, everyone in Miami is from somewhere else, same with Tampa, same with Jax, same with Houston, Phoenix, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. I don't want to sound sexist but I think because we had a female mayor at the time, we missed the boat. I don't think Orlando will ever be considered again unless one of the Florida teams moved here, and that would probably be the Jaguars. I've read that the Jaguars aren't pulling in the fans and dollars that Jacksonville had said they would. It really is too small of a market to support an NFL team, the metro is not much over a million people and there is no other major population center within hundreds of miles, Orlando being the closest. If Orlando were to get an NFL team it has a much larger television market than Jax and (not including Jacksonville) a driving market of around 3,000,000. If the Jaguars did move to Orlando then they would also bring along the Jacksonville fan base. Of course Orlando would support an NFL team. People who are fans of other teams that live in the area would attend games when their favorite team is playing. An Orlando team would have to make it in the playoffs several times or come close to or be in the Superbowl to create a major spark for a loyal fan base. Tampa Bay had a pretty weak fan base for years and has now become a major football town, probably more so than Miami in the past few years. Miami's strong support started after the famous 1972 season. There is also a larger market in Orlando due to tourism, I read a study that stated, when people are on vacation, football is the top sport that a tourist might attend. An NFL game is an attraction in itself.
There was a time when Disney would have paid much of the cost for a major league sports team if the stadium were built on their property, but those days are over. Orlando is wrapped up in the new arena, performing arts center and the citrus bowl renovation, I don't think there is any money lying around to put together a package to attract an NFL team, unless the money came from private investors.
I think, bottom line, is we would support a team, it's the NFL! And the television market is one of the countries largest (top 20) and the population base puts 3-4 million people within 2 hrs driving distance, not counting Tampa Bay metro. The down side is there is no money at this time to bid on a team and build a stadium, etc.
The Magic has given Orlando much cred in the pro sports arena and the city and fans will continue to build on that making Orlando a great NBA city. We probably have more of a chance getting a pro baseball team, there may come a time when the Rays or Marlins may try to make a move, even though the Rays had some good fan support a couple of years ago when they were doing well, attendance has dropped again.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrowester View Post
In the past, everytime there was an expansion in pro sports teams, Orlando usually put a package together and bid for a team. That's how we got the Magic. Orlando had a good bid for a pro baseball team when the Marlins and the Rays were added. Unfortunately when the NFL was expanding, Orlando Mayor Glenda Hood totally ignored it and didn't put a bid in for Orlando, she was too busy focusing on other issues that dealt with tourism and conventions. Jacksonville actually included Orlando in its fan base, just like Tampa Bay did back in the 70s. It really doesn't make sense to say that everyone in Orlando is from somewhere else, everyone in Miami is from somewhere else, same with Tampa, same with Jax, same with Houston, Phoenix, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. I don't want to sound sexist but I think because we had a female mayor at the time, we missed the boat. I don't think Orlando will ever be considered again unless one of the Florida teams moved here, and that would probably be the Jaguars. I've read that the Jaguars aren't pulling in the fans and dollars that Jacksonville had said they would. It really is too small of a market to support an NFL team, the metro is not much over a million people and there is no other major population center within hundreds of miles, Orlando being the closest. If Orlando were to get an NFL team it has a much larger television market than Jax and (not including Jacksonville) a driving market of around 3,000,000. If the Jaguars did move to Orlando then they would also bring along the Jacksonville fan base. Of course Orlando would support an NFL team. People who are fans of other teams that live in the area would attend games when their favorite team is playing. An Orlando team would have to make it in the playoffs several times or come close to or be in the Superbowl to create a major spark for a loyal fan base. Tampa Bay had a pretty weak fan base for years and has now become a major football town, probably more so than Miami in the past few years. Miami's strong support started after the famous 1972 season. There is also a larger market in Orlando due to tourism, I read a study that stated, when people are on vacation, football is the top sport that a tourist might attend. An NFL game is an attraction in itself.
There was a time when Disney would have paid much of the cost for a major league sports team if the stadium were built on their property, but those days are over. Orlando is wrapped up in the new arena, performing arts center and the citrus bowl renovation, I don't think there is any money lying around to put together a package to attract an NFL team, unless the money came from private investors.
I think, bottom line, is we would support a team, it's the NFL! And the television market is one of the countries largest (top 20) and the population base puts 3-4 million people within 2 hrs driving distance, not counting Tampa Bay metro. The down side is there is no money at this time to bid on a team and build a stadium, etc.
The Magic has given Orlando much cred in the pro sports arena and the city and fans will continue to build on that making Orlando a great NBA city. We probably have more of a chance getting a pro baseball team, there may come a time when the Rays or Marlins may try to make a move, even though the Rays had some good fan support a couple of years ago when they were doing well, attendance has dropped again.

You put forth a well reasoned argument...you may have me swayed..lol. WHERE would Orlando be able to put such a large venue?? I think it would struggle for a number of years and like you said...they would have to be GOOD! In the NFL, there HAS to be a loyal fan base. We Eagles fans keep paying to see them even when the stink (which was for alotta years..LOL )

Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
WHERE would Orlando be able to put such a large venue??
Below is a photo of the exact spot where you put a new stadium and in the process spend a little money to spruce Church Street from the Amway Center west to the Citrus Bowl:

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
I always wondered why Orlando didn't have a football or baseball team.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Below is a photo of the exact spot where you put a new stadium and in the process spend a little money to spruce Church Street from the Amway Center west to the Citrus Bowl:

I remember when I still smoked and had nosebleed seats.....I thought I was going to die half way up.....we were laughing at each other offering smokes while we were gasping for breath.

Now I'm old...I still want elevators!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Because the track history of other Florida pro sports teams isn't great. Potential ownership groups aren't going to invest in bringing in yet another team with a limited fan base. The NFL isn't going to fly in Orlando either. The league will look for a city with a partisan fan base and under-representation in pro sports. Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City are seen as front runners, since they have a history of attracting a consistent fan base, NFL-ready facilities and have successful existing pro sports franchises.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Because the track history of other Florida pro sports teams isn't great. Potential ownership groups aren't going to invest in bringing in yet another team with a limited fan base. The NFL isn't going to fly in Orlando either. The league will look for a city with a partisan fan base and under-representation in pro sports. Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City are seen as front runners, since they have a history of attracting a consistent fan base, NFL-ready facilities and have successful existing pro sports franchises.
You need to look at the histories of the cities also. Orlando has only been on people's radar since the early 70's. Before that it was a sleepy little town that didn't have much to offer.

40 years of being a major city is not a long time. We're basically just out of our nappies. It's still very transiant. While we're in a great location the stability just isn't there yet.

I come from the football hungry mid-west and have been here for 26 years and would still hesitate to buy season tickets for an NFL team. I'm pleasantly surprised at the loyal fan base that the Magic have.

Now my DH has to pipe in and say...he doesn't care nor does he know if Orlando can sustain a NFL team...he'll always be a DolFan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando