Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times

Advertisements

I as most other people on the roads have been in the slow lane of traffic and seen the headlights of 2 cars coming up from behind in the fast lane out of our rearview mirrors. Well we also notice that the guy in front is basically going 5 miles or so "over" the speed limit and not breaking the law, but the a-hole behind him keeps pushing his way up that front car's rectum and the cops don't do anything either by the way.....My question is Why do people drive like this or why do the cops not do anything in more of these cases instead of stopping speeders that are in the front car just trying to get out of the agressive person's way?

Any one who is in the back car in this story please explain to everyone what is going on in your head?...please so we can understand......and if any have been in the front please tell your story and what you think was in the person's head in the car behind you, or you can tell us what wasn't in his head also if you want....Thanx

P.S. My definition of tailgating in traffic is either when a car is too close behind you in the same lane as you or when a car is coming up really fast behind you while you are in the slow lane and they for some reason have to wait for the last possible second to MERGE OVER EVEN WHEN THERE IS AN HOUR BEFORE THEY GET ON YOUR BUTT TO MERGE OVER......why? ....is this a control issue for the people who do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
I've been in the front and the back of this issue.

When I'm the 'front driver': I'm in the correct lane, doing the speed limit and the person behind is tailgating thinking I'll speed up or whatever. Chances are, if the person is in that much of a hurry, I'll move over if I can, allow him/her to be on his merry way and then I'll move back to where I was. Mind you, I'm not the one breaking the law. Sometimes, to be a pain, I will possibly slow down a few miles or so to send a gentle message.

I have to say that on 95 the situation changes a bit. The only time that I ever flashed someone (I don't tailgate- too scary) was when I was trying to pass on the left and a person had the grand idea to hop in the left lane AT 70 mph!!! and stay at that speed for a good few miles. Common sense would be for the SLOWER DRIVER to move over and allow those in the passing lane to continue. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN when the slow person stays right where they are, forcing the passing person to have to pass on the RIGHT- WHICH DEFEATS THE PURPOSE!!! Doesn't anyone see it this way (as far as highway safety goes)? I'm surprised when Im doing a certain speed and the left laners can see that you're approaching but they stay at a stand still. Don't get me wrong- Im not doing 120 mph but this whole left lane concept has alot of people confused...

Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post

I have to say that on 95 the situation changes a bit. The only time that I ever flashed someone (I don't tailgate- too scary) was when I was trying to pass on the left and a person had the grand idea to hop in the left lane AT 70 mph!!! and stay at that speed for a good few miles. Common sense would be for the SLOWER DRIVER to move over and allow those in the passing lane to continue. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN when the slow person stays right where they are, forcing the passing person to have to pass on the RIGHT- WHICH DEFEATS THE PURPOSE!!! Doesn't anyone see it this way (as far as highway safety goes)? I'm surprised when Im doing a certain speed and the left laners can see that you're approaching but they stay at a stand still. Don't get me wrong- Im not doing 120 mph but this whole left lane concept has alot of people confused...

I agree that people should move over to to the right if going slower then cars behind them and they should'nt get out of the slow lane and keep going slow after they get in the fast lane (that's the left lane for foriegners who dont know this yet) ....you are right about that and that is frustrating.....but then there are these people that are in the fast lane already going 75 or 80 in a 70mph limit area and yet there is someone that is right on thier butt as if they are trying to provok a fight or injure everyone around them and themselves........i am like you....i get over if i see someone coming up fast.....but there are times when im going 5 mph or so over the limit in the fast lane and i see someone coming up on my ass and i just cant get over right away because of cars in the slow lane but the idiot behind me just wont stop pushing...im just trying to figure out why i should take my V4 engine car up to 90 mph or more for this idiot behind me just because he cant wait a couple seconds for me to get over?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:15 AM

I really think tailgating is the cause of most road rage incedents

Old 06-30-2007, 07:56 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,401 times
You need to get out to another city. Orlando has the LEAST amount of tailgaters of any city I have been to. I moved to Nashville and OH MY GOD if you want to experience road rage and tailgating, then by all means, go visit there. Everyone drives something BIG and they own the road. I honestly became depressed and didnt want to even drive because it always became an issue of someone riding my tail very aggressively. I would joke with people that 9 out of 10 trips it would become scary and it was true. You could count on someone thinking they owned the road.

Since I have been back in Orlando for 3 months now, not a single tailgater. I actually comment to myself how much space people give each other here. So maybe you have had bad experiences, but trust me it's not that bad here at all.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM

60 posts, read 198,006 times
people are crazy... Everyone thinks their time is more valueable than others. I-4 is craaaazy!!
The heat goes to their heads!!
Also, poorly planned city + heat + crazies= crazy bad drivers

Old 06-30-2007, 02:51 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
I read in the paper that tailgating causes as many accidents as drunken driving. No surprise there! Cars CANNOT stop on a dime, and the loser who is riding the bumper of the car ahead will hit the car in front if that car has to stop suddenly - oh, for instance, if a child runs out into the road, or an idiot pulls out of a side street without stopping (WHY DO THEY DO THAT???)

Tailgating is THE most preventable cause of accidents!

St. Pete is bad with this - much worse than west Broward where I go frequently. Up here, you can't drive a city block - if you're going the speed limit - without some self-centered banana-brain right behind you.

And it's not just here - went up to N. GA a while back and couldn't go anywhere without a tailgater -- these idiots tailgate on hilly, blind-curve single-lane roads - even in the rain for pity's sake!

Please could someone explain this behavior? And if there are ANY police reading this board, could you give me ONE GOOD REASON why you don't pull these people over and hit em with a reckless driving charge?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM

12 posts, read 38,169 times
Let's face it....the theme is spreading around the nation. I have been tailgated and have witnessed road rage from the west coast of the US to the east coast. In areas I frequent much, such as West Virginia, I have seen a change in people's driving habits (for the worst) in the last couple of years. It is no longer just Florida or Cali or NY...the attitude has spread. Wish I knew why.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfl View Post
Let's face it....the theme is spreading around the nation. I have been tailgated and have witnessed road rage from the west coast of the US to the east coast. In areas I frequent much, such as West Virginia, I have seen a change in people's driving habits (for the worst) in the last couple of years. It is no longer just Florida or Cali or NY...the attitude has spread. Wish I knew why.
You're right - it's not just in FL. It's a problem everywhere - there's a growing amount of "me first" mentality. Consideration for others has gone out the window. People are becoming more and more impatient - and can't seem to control themselves.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
You need to get out to another city. Orlando has the LEAST amount of tailgaters of any city I have been to. I moved to Nashville and OH MY GOD if you want to experience road rage and tailgating, then by all means, go visit there. Everyone drives something BIG and they own the road. I honestly became depressed and didnt want to even drive because it always became an issue of someone riding my tail very aggressively. I would joke with people that 9 out of 10 trips it would become scary and it was true. You could count on someone thinking they owned the road.

Since I have been back in Orlando for 3 months now, not a single tailgater. I actually comment to myself how much space people give each other here. So maybe you have had bad experiences, but trust me it's not that bad here at all.

I know all bout Nashville / Cashville......"lil buddy"......u know what i mean mane....lol....not insulting you....just using some Nashville words to let you know i was there...I lived up there from 1996-2000 lived in Bellvue....Antioch and in Nashville by the Nashville Auto Auction for a while.....i actually worked there as a temp and then full time around 1998-99.....and you are right ...there are lots of "BIG" trucks and SUV's out there....more than Orlando.....Orlando is more like California....with more compact cars than anything........but yeah Tennesse was rated as one of the top 10 states for traffic jams ....i read that on msn the other day.........Florida didnt make the list......i wasnt really trying to compare both states because there is a really different vibe in traffic in each state ......Florida is where my heart is and there are problems here that i didnt hear of on the news when i lived up in Nashville due to road rage......if you look at the link below and search for "road rage" in the video section u will find a couple stories on Orlando road rage to watch...i dont wanna compare at all because i love both places and both have problems with tailgaters .....i was just really asking who tailgates and why they do....to see what is going on in thier mind and to see if u have been tailgated and just to tell of your own experience....maybe a story from someone on here will change a tailgaters mind if we are lucky....but thanx for your reply mane.....

just check out the orlando road rage stories.....i saw one other day involving people getting shot at in traffic......could happen in Tennessee too with those big gun racks and shotguns ....but i saw these in the orlando news and they were recent stories

CBS TV News Affiliates - CBS News

actually go to video section and go to search engine and type in "ORLANDO TRAFFIC ROAD RAGE".......and there were the stories i saw

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 06-30-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando