Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 24,140 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend, and I are ready to pack up the dog and all our stuff and come on down. The only holdback right now is job's. Were calling around, looking for work, nothing too promising yet. Were not looking for the million dollar career, just some jobs to make money to get us going and paying the bills. If there is anyone on here who has anything to do with hiring anywhere, please let us know. Were flexible in what kind of work we will/can do, and both are always willing to learn and try something new and different. Our qualifications and interests are as follows:

John(my boyfriend):
He has a D.O.D. secret clearance, he got that during his short time in the Marine Corp, he’s a Firefighter, has some security officer experience, has a great interest and knows his way around a firearm, has some entry level I.T. experience, plenty of customer service experience, lots of driving experience, very good with canines, very interested in and lots of experience with motorcycles as with cars, pretty mechanically inclined, fairly proficient with Microsoft office, making spreadsheets, analyzing data, presenting data. He has 2 years of college but no degree, he transferred to University of MD Fire and Rescue Institute since he can get free education and work for his Fire Science degree with his current Fire
Dept.

Crystal(me):
As for me I have experience in various things from administrative to sales and customer service. I’ve ran my grandfathers business for awhile working with his clients, doing most if not all of his office and billing work and answering phones, faxes and emails! I’ve spend a majority of my working years in the tanning industry and I love it! I love working with new people and in that type of atmosphere. I would ultimately love to own my own salon but money just is not there at the moment! Im open to anything from working the front desk at a salon/doctor’s office/or any office for that matter, providing customer service to customers or working at a theme park (it would have to be at Aerosmith’s Rollercoaster though!! - big aerosmith fan here!! ) I don’t mind sitting at a computer doing data entry for 10 hours a day or answering non-stop phone calls. I’m always willing to learn something new. I also have 2 years worth of college but no degree, a majority of my classes were computer and business related.

So anyone out there with info or help would love to hear from you! Feel free to reply her or PM me! I check both pretty regularly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
Don't move without a job!

Without degrees, the unemployment rate in Florida is Atrocious!

(currently at 11.6% for all folks that are still looking)

Most places are CUTTING fire dept's ( I mean gutting, not cutting and the next two years will be bad until the counties up the tax rates)

Since property values are falling fast, the taxes collected will fall too. Police and fire jobs will go down.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,278 times
Its tough to find jobs in state of FL unless ur in healthcare. Do not move until you SECURE a job or save enough to live unemployed for months at least.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 24,140 times
g0gat0rs - That was our plan, we have some money saved up. I figured it would be easier once your down there because we have heard from multiple people that jobs down there would rather hire people who are FL residents then someone whos currently out of state. I dont mind working a small retail or sales job in the mean time while im looking for something better. Ive worked in the healthcare field doing some medical billing. Id honestly take any job at this point!! Maryland right now sounds like its the exact same as FL. They say that its not as bad but finding a job up here is slim to none. Im currently working in a tanning salon, I would love to find another down there which im sure there are plenty..but for me any income is better than none. Obviously no matter what or where we move its going to be a struggle at first, we are expecting that! Does anyone know how hard it is to get a job with any of the theme parks? I notice they always have job postings. Just wondering!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM

92 posts, read 227,458 times
theme parks are easy but pay min wage.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
Obviously moving without a job is a chancy thing..

My wife and I did it last year, I'm in IT and found contracts quickly and then caught on to full time, she is in marketing and it took a bit longer, but it happened.

I think its more, don't move without a GOOD amount of savings and a plan, then "don't move without a job lined up". Its very difficult to move WITH a job unless your company can transfer you.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal82 View Post
g0gat0rs - That was our plan, we have some money saved up. I figured it would be easier once your down there because we have heard from multiple people that jobs down there would rather hire people who are FL residents then someone whos currently out of state. I dont mind working a small retail or sales job in the mean time while im looking for something better. Ive worked in the healthcare field doing some medical billing. Id honestly take any job at this point!! Maryland right now sounds like its the exact same as FL. They say that its not as bad but finding a job up here is slim to none. Im currently working in a tanning salon, I would love to find another down there which im sure there are plenty..but for me any income is better than none. Obviously no matter what or where we move its going to be a struggle at first, we are expecting that! Does anyone know how hard it is to get a job with any of the theme parks? I notice they always have job postings. Just wondering!
Look on Craigslist. There are receptionist and sales jobs. If worst comes to worst, they are always hiring for telemarketers. (not the best job, but an income)

As for your boyfriend, I would open up the phone book and call security companies. Also, check Craigslist. I think the malls hire security as do these big subdivisions. Firefighter jobs are probably going to be out of the question. They are laying them off.

One other thing I might suggest is starting your own small business. IF you know alot of things, think of something you could do as a service to ppl. The extra income helps.

As you understand, it is tough no matter where you go. I do on the other hand think it would be easier to find a job if you were here. Alot of ppl may disagree, but when you go for entry level jobs, it's hard to secure one out of state.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
I also recommend that you DO NOT move here with at least one of you having secured a job first! The job market in Orlando and most of Florida is horrid! I read that for every 1 job opening there are around 6 applicants now. Do your homework first and the cost of living is not cheap either. Best of luck.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
That is one BIG holdback....LOL. Very foolish to move anywhere these days without a job.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is one BIG holdback....LOL. Very foolish to move anywhere these days without a job.
if you have a plan and savings (as we did), it can be just fine. Its difficult to get a job from remote places if your company can't transfer you, so sometimes you need to have another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando