Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,470 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to the Orlando area towards the end of Oct. I've looked at many neighborhoods and have been told that there are bad areas as well as good ones. I know that anywhere you live has the bad and the good areas. I would like some input from local members who have been in the area for some time. I was looking at or around the South Orange Neighborhood, and from what I've seen on pics from Google Earth, it really looks like a nice area. What is it really like?

I'll be moving with my partner (yes, we are a gay couple) and a single female straight friend. Are there any areas around that would be good for us to settle in?

Last edited by bearfuel; 09-19-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Are you looking to buy or rent and what size and budget are you looking at. There are some great neighbourhoods but without knowing this or if there is any particular area for work you need to be close to in terms of commute, then it is hard to assist you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfuel View Post
I am going to be moving to the Orlando area towards the end of Oct. I've looked at many neighborhoods and have been told that there are bad areas as well as good ones. I know that anywhere you live has the bad and the good areas. I would like some input from local members who have been in the area for some time. I was looking at or around the South Orange Neighborhood, and from what I've seen on pics from Google Earth, it really looks like a nice area. What is it really like?

I'll be moving with my partner (yes, we are a gay couple) and a single female straight friend. Are there any areas around that would be good for us to settle in?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
Are you looking to buy or rent and what size and budget are you looking at. There are some great neighbourhoods but without knowing this or if there is any particular area for work you need to be close to in terms of commute, then it is hard to assist you.

We will be looking to rent and have been looking around the downtown area. We are trying to stay in the range of less than $1000/month, and have found several options in that range in the area. We are concerned which of the neighborhoods would be the safest to live in and don't want to end up in or near a bad area, such as drug areas, and the like....

Commute for work would not be a problem, we are used to that where we are now and have lived in Houston, TX, so we are used to traffic. We would need at least 2 bedrooms and preferably 2 baths. Hoping to get into at least 900 sq ft, or more. Also accepting pets would be a requirement. We have cats. We are all three in our 40's and are meticulous in keeping up after our "kids". The cats have been with us for several years and are very well house trained, and people that have visited us have said that they couldn't tell we had pets until they saw them. My partner has been to Orlando several times, but only to visit the theme parks, and doesn't know the neighborhoods. Myself and our friend have never been though.

If we don't settle in the downtown area, we were thinking maybe around the Casselberry, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, or the Ocoee areas...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Lake Lucerne Towers

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Lake Lucerne Towers
We would like something other than a Tower apt, although they are nice.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Any information on some of the good areas to live in Orlando?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 PM

135 posts, read 390,419 times
Casselberry, Winter Springs and Oviedo are good places. I used to live in the eastern part of Orlando (32825 area) and it was pretty good. Commute shouldnt be a problem as they had added to the expressway alot since I left (2001). *Though, they are toll paid*

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
I'd rather live in Winter Garden than Casselberry/Longwood...I haven't seen any character in those areas. Winter Garden at least has a neat little historic downtown strip with a nice restaurant scene.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,698 times
Yes! We recently relocated to the Winter Garden area from Casselberry and much, much prefer it. There's nothing really wrong with Casselberry, but it's prettier out here and we don't have to rely on 436/Semoran!

Check out College Park too! Houses with great character and some great shops/cafes/restaurants.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 PM

I've heard College Park is a good area, how about any of the other areas around the downtown Orlando? We've been told to stay away from the west side of downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando