Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Normally we fly into TPA when we visit our daughter and SIL south of Sarasota but this time got better rates flying DFW/MCO--

We fly in on Tues before Thanksgiving around noon and fly out Monday late afternoon--
what do you think the security lines will be like?
We have not flown into MCO in LONG time--since our kids were little and we went to Disneyworld--
but think I remember it operates like TPA with the trams from the gates into the main terminal--
we have rental car lined up--and will probably check our bag since we can do it for free--
we have not had big problem at TPA waiting for luggage or getting rentals--
what is it like at MCO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Flying out of MCO the Monday after Thanksgiving you want to count on at least 2 hrs. just to get through ticketing and security alone, if not three. It will be a complete zoo! Depending upon which rental car agency and the time of day you arrive one can easily spend 1 hr. or more in line for the rental car too.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
MCO has a much bigger passenger volume/number of flights compared to TPA. I would definitely plan for more time than you are used to with TPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...senger_traffic

Overall, MCO is the 28th busiest airport in the world. TPA doesn't even make the list.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
MCO has a much bigger passenger volume/number of flights compared to TPA. I would definitely plan for more time than you are used to with TPA.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall, MCO is the 28th busiest airport in the world. TPA doesn't even make the list.
In addition, on Thanksgiving Week MCO is the 12th busiest airport in America. Doesn't mean things won't go smoothly, but suggests you should give yourself enough extra time in order not to ruin your trip due to frustration and stress.

Top busiest and least busy airports in America for Thanksgiving holiday travel - National Worldwide Travel | Examiner.com

I plan to avoid that entire part of Orlando on Thanksgiving week.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 AM

thanks--that was the kind of feedback I was looking for--
our flight leaves Monday around 530--on AA--thought we would turn in the car at 3 and be ok for time--I take it that will not be the case--
normally we take luggage into and check it at the desk--
will it be more convenient to check it at curb or will that be crazy?

PS we have rental right now from Enterprise--anyone use that company at MCO?
I know at TPA Alamo which we usually use is offsite and you ride the shuttle--but that does not bother us--usually no problem when we get there...

what about Enterprise at MCO?

and how good is the signage at MCO--
I must admit that at DFW--my home airport--there are problems with signage that I know gives people who are not familiar with the airport layout and roads trouble...

any suggestions for how to exit the airport and get on road to Tampa with few problems...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
MCO is a very easy airport to get thru. Very good signage.
I've used Enterprise many times and have never been inconvienced at any airport. They will pick you up right there.

I would suggest to check your bags at the curb. I myself would add just 1/2 hour to the arrival time. Just in case there's a line at Enterprise too.

I might be wrong but I'm thinking you'll be flying out after the T'day rush. You couldn't pay me to be at the airport on Sat or Sun.

As to getting to Tampa...very very easy...take some small bills with you and get on the Beachline (528) (Toll Road) to I-4 West. I-4 will take you straight to Tampa

Have a great trip.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 AM

I too was thinking that a later departure would miss lot of the congestion--
what about a place to eat--we might want to get late lunch--any decent places to eat in the terminal

if that the route you would take if you wanted the quickest way to the Nokomis/Venice area--that is where our daughter lives

our son who is flying DFW/TPA on Wed night
will fly back from TPA on Saturday evening--(could not take vacation)
so I know he will have trouble getting through security checkin--
the way TPA does that is just stupid to me--but he will only have hand luggage and we will drop him off since he won't have rental car--

Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
MCO is managed very well. I've never had problems with luggage or flight, and I've flown a lot. Compared to other airports when considering it's volume/size, MCO is very fast in and out.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I too was thinking that a later departure would miss lot of the congestion--
what about a place to eat--we might want to get late lunch--any decent places to eat in the terminal

if that the route you would take if you wanted the quickest way to the Nokomis/Venice area--that is where our daughter lives

our son who is flying DFW/TPA on Wed night
will fly back from TPA on Saturday evening--(could not take vacation)
so I know he will have trouble getting through security checkin--
the way TPA does that is just stupid to me--but he will only have hand luggage and we will drop him off since he won't have rental car--

Orlando International Airport (MCO) - Shops & Restaurants

There ya go...anything and everything you want to know about MCO.

And yes you'll want the same route to Nolomis/Venice. You'll just pick up I-75 in Tampa.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
MCO is awesome...great airport. Quick through security and quick access to the terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando