Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 AM

126 posts, read 570,813 times

Advertisements

I'm helping my son research schools for his 4 year old who will start at kindergarten next year. We are looking around early because they have just moved here from the UK and are also looking for a home to rent, but want to make sure wherever they rent will be in a zone for a good school.

Can anyone tell me the differences between public and private schools here? How expensive is it? I know they'll all be different with their fees but a ball park figure would be much appreciated. We are looking in the areas of Osceola and Polk Counties.

Just wondering if private schooling is similar here to the UK (smaller student to teacher ratios etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:33 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,258 times
I looked up three private schools in Orange County (Lake Highland, First Academy, and Windermere Prep) and they are all $10,000 for Kindergarten. Schools in Osceola or Polk may be a little cheaper since they are cheaper areas to live.

As far as class size is concerned, there is a law (through a state constitutional amendment) that states that public schools can have no more than 18 students in a class in Kindergarten. That is increased to 22 in 3-5 (or maybe 2-5) and 25 in secondary schools. However, there is a measure to change the law to base classes on school averages. So, if you were to go public school tomorrow, you wouldn't have more than 18 students in your child's class.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,334 times
Personally, I wouldn't even consider sending my children to public schools in the state of Florida. In my opinion, they are the pits. People will brag about "A" rated schools, but all this means is that this shcool sucks a little less than a "B" or "C" rated school. If private school was not an option, I would move to a different state.

That being said, because the public schools are so bad, there are some very good private schools. Park Maitland is a great elementary school, but is expensive.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,315 times
There are some outstanding public schools in the Orlando area. My son, as an example, went to public school here, excelled in college and had job offers from large companies such as Hughes, Northrup Grunman, Lockheed Martin and a couple of others. He was flown over the country, wined and dined and had his choice of jobs. He is currently pursuing his PhD, was recently awarded 4 patents for his research in collective autonomy as it relates to artificial intelligence, and is presenting at an international engineering conference next month among other endeavors.

Of course, there are schools not up to par....but they are the exception. A friend, who is himself a PhD physicist, recently sent his daughter to college, entering her freshman year as a junior majoring in biomedical engineering. Both were educated in Central Florida schools.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even consider sending my children to public schools in the state of Florida. In my opinion, they are the pits. People will brag about "A" rated schools, but all this means is that this shcool sucks a little less than a "B" or "C" rated school. If private school was not an option, I would move to a different state.

That being said, because the public schools are so bad, there are some very good private schools. Park Maitland is a great elementary school, but is expensive.
Well, if the public schools could pick their students like Park Maitland...

Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post

Of course, there are schools not up to par....but they are the exception.
You gave examples of 2 exceptional students, not exceptional schools. My wife and I both graduated from Florida public schools and are now both physicians. However, when people are asking for advice on a public forum, they are not looking for reports of a student who happened to do well despite being exposed to our states public schools.

The state of Florida has a 68.8% graduation rate. That means nearly one in 3 students entering the public school system here will not graduate. Should we compare that to the number that will go on to earn a doctorate level degree?

Seminole county (a school system you will find bragged about frequently on this forum) had a 78% graduation rate. Again, nearly 1 in 4 students will not graduate.

And don't bother quoting different graduation rates, the state of Florida has a history of being very deceptive in their reporting. Florida high schools boosting graduation rates by removing struggling students from rolls - Orlando Sentinel

This is ABYSMAL!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 AM

570 posts, read 1,152,846 times
I would never send my children to public schools. The only exception would be is if ur high school entering children are smart enough to get into an IB program, then that's fine because IB course load is so vigorous and challenging that ur children will not have the time of day to hang out with the typical, majority of hoodlums that populate ur local public schools today.

Other than that, private school is hands down better than public. The only people that say public schools are better are obviously the ones that can't afford it, even though they'll say they can.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
I would never send my children to public schools. The only exception would be is if ur high school entering children are smart enough to get into an IB program, then that's fine because IB course load is so vigorous and challenging that ur children will not have the time of day to hang out with the typical, majority of hoodlums that populate ur local public schools today.

Other than that, private school is hands down better than public. The only people that say public schools are better are obviously the ones that can't afford it, even though they'll say they can.
Exactly what I was about to write. I would put an IB school head-to-head against any private school in the state any day of the week.

IB is a fantastic curriculum and prepares any kid well for college.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post

And you've stated the TRUE reason why many (but not all) people prefer private (or suburban) schools over public schools (mostly in the cities). It is not necessarily the schools/teachers themselves, but the clientele some of them serve. No one ever wants to say that. There was an administrator who straight up told me that people have avoided his school because they don't want to send their children to a school that is 60% or however many black.

Private schools have 100% graduation rates partially because they can kick the inept kids out before they have the opportunity to drop out. Public schools have to take everyone that walks through their doors. I am not against private schooling. I'm a "do whatever works for you" type. However, I do not like the blanket statements always made about public schools.

IB is a sham. Go to truthaboutib.com. Take AP classes instead and keep the $$ in America!

So that I can stay on topic: Each school varies. I wouldn't make a blanket statement about a school district. Once you narrow down your neighborhoods, then it will be easier to offer suggestions as to what the best options will be.

Last edited by boy3365; 10-04-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
And you've stated the TRUE reason why many (but not all) people prefer private (or suburban) schools over public schools (mostly in the cities). It is not necessarily the schools/teachers themselves, but the clientele some of them serve. No one ever wants to say that. There was an administrator who straight up told me that people have avoided his school because they don't want to send their children to a school that is 60% or however many black.

Private schools have 100% graduation rates partially because they can kick the inept kids out before they have the opportunity to drop out. Public schools have to take everyone that walks through their doors. I am not against private schooling. I'm a "do whatever works for you" type. However, I do not like the blanket statements always made about public schools.

IB is a sham. Go to truthaboutib.com. Take AP classes instead and keep the $$ in America!

So that I can stay on topic: Each school varies. I wouldn't make a blanket statement about a school district. Once you narrow down your neighborhoods, then it will be easier to offer suggestions as to what the best options will be.
For me, it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with kids who are bad influences on my children.

Seminole county schools are suburban and "A" rated. If I send my kid there, one out of every 4 of his friends will drop out. I don't like those odds. Your child's friends will be a stronger influence on who they become than you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando