Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM

15 posts, read 35,814 times

Advertisements

I am going to ask everybody's opinion on this. I'm thinking of applying for a job in the VA clininc in The Villages and still live somewhere north, northwest of Orlando. Is Apopka area ok? Is working in The Villages and living in Apopka possible or am I gonna regret it?
Originally we were looking at Winter Park, Winter springs, and then more and more in Altamonte Springs which is still an option. I figured Apopka would be closer to the Villages and close enough to Altamonte Springs.
Also, since Altamonte Springs is not far from Apopka, is it a pedestrian friendly place? We'd love to be in a place where there is plenty of foot traffic, people, coffee shops and other shops everywhere. That'd be a lot like home in europe.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,294,047 times
You may be better off moving to Mt. Dora. It's a quaint little town but has a nice walkable little downtown area. Apopka does not have such an area. Mt. Dora would also be an easier commute to the Villages but still a reasonable drive to Altamonte or Orlando.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 AM

433 posts, read 1,224,846 times
My wife is commuting from Apopka to Summerfield just N of the Villages 3 days a week for her work. The drive is a long one, (1 hr to 1hr 25 min depending on traffic)

Altamonte would be even further (at least an area like you want) and the others even further.

Most of the USA is NOT like European towns, so it would probably be best if you come to visit to experience each area.

Now, the Wekiva Area of Apopka/Longwood is nice to walk/bike, but not much in terms stores, coffee shops.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,240,126 times
I agree, Mt Dora is closer to the Villages and has a nice little downtown with the amenities that you are looking for.

Apopka is nice (well the northern parts) but it doesn't have any kind of downtown that you want, plus its still pretty far from the Villages. And all the other towns you mentions are even further (even with the 429 &Maitland Bypass, that will still be a rough commute).

Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,647,554 times
That commute will be a pain. I would agree with mt dora or maybe the north-northwest parts of clermont or even eustis.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,294,047 times
downtown Mt. Dora has a semi euro feel. It's walkable and has nice little cafes, restaurants, bars and coffee shops. It's right next to the lakes which are also nice places to take a stroll. The annual Christmas lights display is also amazing.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,483,479 times
Even if you live in Mt. Dora you're still in for a long commute- about an hour each way. You might want to look into Leesburg- you would cut your commute time by half.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Even if you live in Mt. Dora you're still in for a long commute- about an hour each way. You might want to look into Leesburg- you would cut your commute time by half.
Unfortunately, the only thing Leesburg has that the OP is looking for is that its close.
It doesnt have the amenities that the OP is looking for at all.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,917,279 times
I think Mt Dora is a good suggestion also. I know the commute is a little further, but the town is very nice which is walkable. I love the Christmas lights too. There are little shops, cafes and coffe shops. They have a good flea market every weekend too.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 35,814 times
Thank you all for your oppinions. I checked Mt. Dora out a bit and it seems like a really small place. Quite a bit distance each way too. We are coming for a few days in november and will probably take a drive there. But then again, the VA hospital in the Villages is not the only place to work. There are plenty of hospitals in and around Orlando I think, right? I was just trying to make use of my 4 years in service.
Thanks again. I really appreciate all your input, it helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando