Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I feel your pain, but try this.
1. You are paying too much for spraying. I pay about 395 per year so call around.
2. You are paying too much to get it mowed. Call around, use Craiglist and find a new guy or tell the current guy to give you a discount.
3. You only need to water once per week for about 1 inch, which is about 30 minutes per zone. Are you sure you don't have a leak or broken sprinkler.
4. I'm mowing my own lawn. I was using a reel mower, but my SA lawn got too thick. I bought a new self-propelled Toro mower...great machine..mows by itself...well almost.
5. Consider tossing some compost onto your lawn. You can get it free from the county or buy from Home Depot. It will keep your soil moist and help it stay healthy.
6. I'm switching to a more organic type of lawn care. I did some reading on it at the library and on the web.

I agree with you on some, disagree with others....I have has several folks in the biz tell me 45 minutes per zone on large areas (depending on the sprinkler head) I have rotating heads for watering. Less for the spray type heads that are stationary.

Cheaper lawn service persons CAN (not always) ruin your landscaping. I had that issue...eroding my planting beds with too much edging, and not maintaining ivies with enough edging , and ruining sprinkler heads with mowers, etc. I would much rather pay for a good , reputable provider of service.

I totally agree with all your other points!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 03:08 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
The water depends on how much is actually going out onto the lawn. Use the old can check. Put an empty soup can out in different areas when you water your lawn. If you are getting 1 inch in 30 minutes that is good enough, but if it takes an hour, so be it. I have the stationary spray heads now. My last home had the rotating heads and I just did not think they would give the lawn a good soak.

Yes. ...some lawn care companies are "in and out" and sometimes do more harm that good.

I use this web site for some ideas about lawn.

GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

There are some good posts about lawns, but you can find information about anything to do with a home, appliances etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando