Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM

55 posts, read 121,041 times

Advertisements

I have just realized that I am slowly going broke just maintaining my lawn. I am paying $90 per month for mowing ($1080 annually), $129 every other month for pest control ($774 annually), and an average of $50 per month in irrigation ($600 annually). This totals a whopping $2454.00 per year. If I had my way, I'd let the St. Augustine grass all die and replace it with stones, which can be a very nice look. However I unfortunately moved into a neighborhood with an HOA, big mistake. Is there any way to beat these costs? I am willing to mow it myself, but I do travel a lot so it was easier to hire a service. But I think this is way too much money to spend on a lawn. (I also question why irrigation is so much higher than regular water consumption!) Just thought I'd rant a little. Thanks! (ps HOA not doing much with the foreclosed properties either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlinFL View Post
I have just realized that I am slowly going broke just maintaining my lawn. I am paying $90 per month for mowing ($1080 annually), $129 every other month for pest control ($774 annually), and an average of $50 per month in irrigation ($600 annually). This totals a whopping $2454.00 per year. If I had my way, I'd let the St. Augustine grass all die and replace it with stones, which can be a very nice look. However I unfortunately moved into a neighborhood with an HOA, big mistake. Is there any way to beat these costs? I am willing to mow it myself, but I do travel a lot so it was easier to hire a service. But I think this is way too much money to spend on a lawn. (I also question why irrigation is so much higher than regular water consumption!) Just thought I'd rant a little. Thanks! (ps HOA not doing much with the foreclosed properties either)
Stone would be your best option. It lasts forever and you don't have to mow or water it. They passed a law saying as long as you change your yard, it just must be "landscaping friendly". That means as long as you use plants, mulch, stone, etc, it's acceptable. Check with your HOA's about the new rule. HOA --* Florida-friendly landscaping (http://www.ccfjedu.net/HOAFLORIDAFRIENDLYLANDSCAPING.htm - broken link)
I see ppl doing it in other subdivisions.

Yes, it is very hard to maintain a yard in FL.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 PM

288 posts, read 733,976 times
Wow, how big is your yard? Ours is almost a half acre and I only pay $30 for a guy to come out, cut the grass, edge, and do weed-eating. During the real rainy season I have him out here every other week but usually I just do the yard myself. I'll probably get him out here again when the leaves start falling. I had a service for pest control but that was very expensive and the yard looked no better when they were spraying their chemicals on it than it does right now. Our watering days are Thursdays and Sundays, so when it's like this I put the sprinklers on for 20 minutes or so. Eventually I want to change most of it to xeriscaping which will cut down on the amount of grass. I like the idea of all stones or even lava, too!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Your pest control fees seem to be out of kilter with your mowing prices...I sent you a PM regarding who I use, etc.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Stone would be your best option. It lasts forever and you don't have to mow or water it. They passed a law saying as long as you change your yard, it just must be "landscaping friendly". That means as long as you use plants, mulch, stone, etc, it's acceptable. Check with your HOA's about the new rule. HOA --* Florida-friendly landscaping (http://www.ccfjedu.net/HOAFLORIDAFRIENDLYLANDSCAPING.htm - broken link)
I see ppl doing it in other subdivisions.

Yes, it is very hard to maintain a yard in FL.
Wow thank you for this information! I had no idea stone would be allowed, and I will look into it! Thanks so much!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
Wow, how big is your yard? Ours is almost a half acre and I only pay $30 for a guy to come out, cut the grass, edge, and do weed-eating. During the real rainy season I have him out here every other week but usually I just do the yard myself. I'll probably get him out here again when the leaves start falling. I had a service for pest control but that was very expensive and the yard looked no better when they were spraying their chemicals on it than it does right now. Our watering days are Thursdays and Sundays, so when it's like this I put the sprinklers on for 20 minutes or so. Eventually I want to change most of it to xeriscaping which will cut down on the amount of grass. I like the idea of all stones or even lava, too!
My yard is under a half acre, plus I have a large lanai, so the actual grass area is not that big.

Thanks for mentioning xeriscaping...I am on a mission now. I never knew I had alternatives! Thanks for your response!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Default lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Your pest control fees seem to be out of kilter with your mowing prices...I sent you a PM regarding who I use, etc.
Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
go with Empire Zoysia grass I did less water less bugs and falls under florida friendly. After I put it in 8-9 homes followed.

Empire Zoysia Grass Low Maintenance Low Water Turf Grass Varieties Empire Zoysia Sod Florida

Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlinFL View Post
Wow thank you for this information! I had no idea stone would be allowed, and I will look into it! Thanks so much!
they cannot stop you from putting in florida friendly but they can stop you from what type you can put in if your doc's say turff or grass you must put it in that is why I went with the Zoysia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando