Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM

27 posts, read 90,579 times

Advertisements

Im 19 from NYC moving to Orlando.
I have a job ready with 45k a year.
I have 2 kids and I'm married.
I can afford to buy a really CHEAP house for maybe 100k. I dont care if its a bad area because I can take care of myself. I'm honestly expecting a bad area with that budget. I'm leaving new york because its too expensive to live in and I HATE the winters.
Schools are also not an issue because my children are both under 18 months.
I'd probably move to another neighbahood by then.
Any advice? Areas to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
Don't buy a home right away but rent for a least 6 months. You will have to really do some research first hand before buying a home. There is nothing wrong with rent and is actually a much better way to go. There are alot of "cheap homes in bad areas", but why buy those? You want to buy the cheapest home in the best area for schools, shopping etc... Plus, you will have maintenance which never seems to stop when you own a home. The older homes might not have very good weather proofing with the respect of windows, doors, etc. Take your time and buy something that you really like and don't get caught up in the hype of owning a home as your only option.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I agree 100% with Totsuka. Come down and rent for bit, see what areas you like and what areas you don't like. Than you can search for places in those areas within your price range. With today's market I'm sure you find something in your budget in an area you would like to live, short sale, foreclosure, etc. You may also want to consider a condo as there are many places for $100K or under in some good areas.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM

250 posts, read 706,653 times
i cosign what both totsuka and crane said. Orlando is a place you want to actually give yourself time to experience before deciding on a permanent location to live. as far as bad areas. they won't be like the bad areas of NYC so don't be so quick to sell yourself short. you may get something that you really enjoy with your price range.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
Your kids may be small now, but they friends they start to make and the influences they are around NOW, will begin to shape them and who they will become...don't you want them to be around good, solid , positive people? Don't you want to be around that? I agree with everything that has been said so far! Tell us, where is your job located, and we can help you narrow down a decent area for you to begin to settle...even if you move later, why break good bonds you will begin to form as a family...make a small move - a short distance - into a home...from an apt. or condo if you like later to a house. Get something maintenance free for now...

Make good choices for your family every step of the way...it pays off!!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
Location and schools may not be important to you now but it will definitely matter later! You keep oil in your car to protect the life of your vehicle and keep it running.... You must approach where you live in the same fashion. If you were to sell later, you would have a much better success rate selling and for more return if you bought in an an area with great schools....

I also recommend you look at where your you are working and gauge as to weather or not you should find a place within a few minutes from work. I have lived in Orlando for a long time and know the area very well from having to drive around with my business. Feel free to email me at lanawilken@me.com and if you tell me the address or cross street of where you will be working, I will consider your age, budget and location and help you with some suggestions to look first -- FYI you can still get a great little pad in a great little neighborhood for the low 100's -- this is a great time to be a young buyer, but you will need to probably be working for a year or two to show strong employment history before getting a decent loan (unless you are not financing) ... Good luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM

I'm working as an EMT(paramedic).
thanks for all the help.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 30,440 times
Take your time. You are still young. You are moving to fast. 19 going on 30. Get some advice.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
First of all welcome to FL. Don't move to a bad area. It's not safe for you or your kids. There are plenty nice areas where you can get something for
100K. Schools may not be an issue now, but down the line it will be.
Where is your job? I strongly suggest you move by there. Have you ever been here before? What type of area do you like?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 PM

how is parramore?
its close to downtown right? I dont think ill have a problem in a bad area.
Im coming to Orlando next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando