Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 44,097 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to Florida with our 16-year-old son to either Lake Mary or Oviedo from out-of-state within the next few weeks. He is a straight A student in all his Honors classes. Changing schools at this age would be very difficult for any child, but our son has a disability as well. I have heard so many different opinions that I am now totally confused. How does Lake Mary High compare with Hagerty High? We have narrowed it down to these 2 schools. He is coming from a small high school, so we thought Hagerty might be better because it is the smaller of the 2. Any input regarding the high schools would be greatly appreciated. THANK-YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,822 times
you will find both equally positive. They are great schools. My daughter attends Hagerty which I believe to be exceptional, but Lake Mary is also a wonderful school. You can't miss either way, even with a child that has a disability. you will love it here!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 79,593 times
Also relocating and was just down in FLA looking for a house - learned that the Oviedo High School was the only one in Seminole county to get an "A" rating this year. It has been consistently good school

Old 07-08-2007, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 79,593 times
also, have you looked into private schools? with your son's record it might be the place for him to flourish. In addition, you might want to look into Winter Park HS --- there is an international baccalaurete program there which is great - consistently placing graduates in ivy league

Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 44,097 times
Thanks so much for your reply. The more research I do, the more I'm leaning toward Hagerty, partly because of the quality of education available there and partly because our son is coming from a very small HS environment. With less than 700 students in his entire school, it's about 1/4 the size of Oviedo High. I called Hagerty and was told that they are expecting an enrollment of about 1500 this coming year. Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
It may only be 1/4 of the size because all grade levels aren't represented yet..... I believe Hagerty just completed it's 2nd year of existence and was adding students one class at a time..... (ie. just 9th grade, then 9th and 10th, and so on). At least that plan was batted around. I may be wrong.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Lake Mary High, My daughter attends there and I'm very happy with it!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM

34 posts, read 76,986 times
Hi Everyone...back again.

My husband and I are planning one of many trips back to the area to make certain we want to move to Florida. We are looking in the Oviedo Area. Can anyone suggest hotels in or close to Oviedo? We want to stay right in Oviedo and avoid the Disney World vacation feel. Our main reason for the trip will be to visit the city, drive around, check out schools and real estate. Any suggests or insight would really help.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
It may only be 1/4 of the size because all grade levels aren't represented yet..... I believe Hagerty just completed it's 2nd year of existence and was adding students one class at a time..... (ie. just 9th grade, then 9th and 10th, and so on). At least that plan was batted around. I may be wrong.
its actually been open for four years now, so this year was the first year of having freshman-seniors.

And i don't know about it having only 1,500 kids. the enrollment is well over 2,000 this school year, so i don't see how it can be possible for it to go down so much next year. (My high school is the closest HS to Hagerty so i know a lot of ppl who go there, definitely more than 1,500 kids.)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Hi!

Where are you moving from? You may find the curriculum to be a little behind, depending on where you are coming from. I did, but I chose the district with Hagerty. The schools are newer and the latest records I have seen, they also get an A rating...I would be curious to see the info from the other poster stating otherwise please, as I have not come across that yet, and feel I have had a fairly good handle on this...lol (seriously, if you could post the source that would be great)

I prefered the more suburban feel of that area of Oviedo as well, so that aided in our decision. Call and get transfer packets from both/all schools you are considering now, as they will be closing soon...there is curriculum info in there that may help make your decision as well. There is quite a bit of stuff you have to get in order to transfer, so get the info in hand to help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA-BOUND View Post
We are planning to relocate to Florida with our 16-year-old son to either Lake Mary or Oviedo from out-of-state within the next few weeks. He is a straight A student in all his Honors classes. Changing schools at this age would be very difficult for any child, but our son has a disability as well. I have heard so many different opinions that I am now totally confused. How does Lake Mary High compare with Hagerty High? We have narrowed it down to these 2 schools. He is coming from a small high school, so we thought Hagerty might be better because it is the smaller of the 2. Any input regarding the high schools would be greatly appreciated. THANK-YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando