Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This is just Daily Journalist as new poster doing his normal bashing Florida like he always has.

It is sad that some people failed in Florida, blame the state and the people and then have to hide who they are so they can come back as a new poster to continue to blame Florida for their failures.

I would rather be dirt poor in Florida and then dirt poor in the crime ridden burbs of Philly.
Not everyone who moves to Florida and deceides to leave does it because they failed in Florida. I know people who lived here long enough to retire from county jobs and they moved to New England.That's far from being a failure. As a matter of fact i know at least a dozen people who have left Florida after they retired for different parts of the country. One couple moved to Alaska. Another couple moved to the Maine coast. I know a single lady who moved to Vermont and loves it. Not everybody has the dislike of cooler temperatures. There are many reasons that people choose not to remain in Florida. Family in other areas, better jobs, the novelty has worn off ect. Florida definatly isn't for everyone and sometimes it takes a while to figure that out. No one should be called a failure just because they deceide to live somewhere else. Once you get down here you'll see,there's no shortage of failures in Florida.

Last edited by Ken E; 11-18-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM

398 posts, read 729,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Not everyone who moves to Florida and deceides to leave does it because they failed in Florida. I know people who lived here long enough to retire from county jobs and they moved to New England.That's far from being a failure. As a matter of fact i know at least a dozen people who have left Florida after they retired for different parts of the country. One couple moved to Alaska. Another couple moved to the Maine coast. I know a single lady who moved to Vermont and loves it. Not everybody has the dislike of cooler temperatures. There are many reasons that people choose not to remain in Florida. Family in other areas, better jobs, the novelty has worn off ect. Florida definatly isn't for everyone and sometimes it takes a while to figure that out. No one should be called a failure just because they deceide to live somewhere else. Once you get down here you'll see,there's no shortage of failures in Florida.
Absolutely correct!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
"Workers in states with right to work laws have a consistently lower quality of life than in other states—lower wages, higher poverty and infant mortality rates, less access to the health care they need and poorer education for their children."

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/upload/rtw.pdf (broken link)
Yeah that's a non-biased website to get your information from

Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:

Notice I said "some", not all.

Some I know the personal history behind them and know they financially failed or made poor decisions that forced their move out of Florida but yet they blame the state and its people.

I know your reason and you want to be close to your grandkids and that is a good thing. But you do not consistently bash Florida all the time either.
You spent 10 years I think in Florida so you had to like it.
Now it is time to move on and spend some time with your grandkids which I admire of you doing so.
My kids just lost a close Grandparent so I know the feeling and back you up 100% to get back and spend time with them.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,702 times
I'd consider going to college for something in the medical field. There is high demand for that field in Florida. You would have steady pay and not have to worry about the up and down pay. Heck you would easily qualify for free federal funds to pay for college tuition. Once you complete your program moving to Florida will be a snap!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
"Workers in states with right to work laws have a consistently lower quality of life than in other states—lower wages, higher poverty and infant mortality rates, less access to the health care they need and poorer education for their children."

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/upload/rtw.pdf (broken link)
Lack of industry has more to do with poorer wages than "Right to work".

I work in a union aerospace shop in Orlando and do ok - not great but ok. I am still behind what I made in non-union shop up north 5 years ago. The rust belt states just have more industry.

I do also believe that Florida living can be infectious and it is harder to find dedicated workers. I think up north you find it easier to work longer hours and not miss any time because the weather is so crappy and unpredictable compared to here.

PS: Yes some companies do take advantage of the lower wages here. I have seen ads on Craigslist and Monster for experienced machinists that pay $10/hr here. Up north you would get $16-18 all day long. I think the drop in the economy has encouraged wage cuts even for companies that do well.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Don't move to Orlando, the economy here sucks!! no jobs, not even in the service industry!

I moved here in August and I've been unable to get a $8 an hour job with a 2 year degree.... I always go well dressed, subtle makeup, radiant and I can't get a job, can it be worse?

$40 for a waitress in Florida seems pretty normal... don't expect to do $100 a day on tips... I was a waitress in Miami last year in the Coral Gables area and I made an average of $30 a day. However, the restaurant was so slow that I did not that bad for serving 4 to 5 tables a day....

Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Federal regulations cover work hours. Anything over 40 is overtime just like the rest of the country. You work 10 hour shift, you get paid for 8 plus 2 hours in O/T.
The law says over 40 in a week is overtime (for most hourly jobs), but there is nothing in the law about anything over 8 in a shift being overtime, and in fact the vast majority of jobs it is not. Even places that pay overtime for the shift base it on your normal shift length, not just a set 8 hours. For example, Diseny pays overtime for over 8 hours for people who are on a five day, eight hour a day schedule, but for people like myself that are on a four day, ten hour a day schedule they pay overtime for over 10 hours.

Disney is the first place I ever worked that pays overtime based on number of hours in a shift, everywhere else I ever worked paid soley by hours in a week.

-Harry

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Correct. The law is 40 hours in a work week. So one could work 10 hours a day for 4 days and if the have to come in on day 5 that would be o/t.
Yes, I would think WDW is unique in their o/t pay based on what you explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
The law says over 40 in a week is overtime (for most hourly jobs), but there is nothing in the law about anything over 8 in a shift being overtime, and in fact the vast majority of jobs it is not. Even places that pay overtime for the shift base it on your normal shift length, not just a set 8 hours. For example, Diseny pays overtime for over 8 hours for people who are on a five day, eight hour a day schedule, but for people like myself that are on a four day, ten hour a day schedule they pay overtime for over 10 hours.

Disney is the first place I ever worked that pays overtime based on number of hours in a shift, everywhere else I ever worked paid soley by hours in a week.

-Harry

Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Surely a lot of folks move to a lot of places and find it not to their liking and move on. However, it seems that in some of these forums you have people who simply won't leave but continue to bash on a regular basis, constantliy pointing out perceived faults that occur everywhere.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando