Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 AM

29 posts, read 100,729 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both 35 & live in NY (Long Island) and are planning on moving to the Kissimmee/Orlando area. We had thought of Poinciana until coming across this forum. Is it still bad, crime wise? Has it gotten any better? We are planning on coming down soon to look at areas. Any other areas that people can suggest? And we don't want to learn how to speak Spanish (no offense) if we don't have to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM

24 posts, read 133,125 times
is about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1972 View Post
My wife and I are both 35 & live in NY (Long Island) and are planning on moving to the Kissimmee/Orlando area. We had thought of Poinciana until coming across this forum. Is it still bad, crime wise? Has it gotten any better? We are planning on coming down soon to look at areas. Any other areas that people can suggest? And we don't want to learn how to speak Spanish (no offense) if we don't have to. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:56 PM

74 posts, read 70,906 times
Default Advice

To be honest i prefer to keep away from Kissimmee just because it is so touristy. For the last year or so i have been working in Winter Garden and can highly recommend it. I currently have a number of clients who are purchasing in this area. The homes are well priced, and the community which i live in is actually closer to Disney than Celebration. I lived in celebration, and home prices are extremely high for the area with taxes even higher.

If you need any further advice let me know.

Nick

Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM

170 posts, read 571,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1972 View Post
There are areas of Orlando that are really nice, mostly in Seminole County but parts of Orange County are nice too. We live in extreme east Orange County and we love it. We have multiple acres and it is very quiet and wooded. South Orlando isn't the nicest area so I would suggest staying east or north.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM

46 posts, read 245,999 times
Southwest Orlando- Windermere/Dr Phillips are beautiful areas. Great neighborhoods, restaurants, shopping; - We've really enjoyed our first 3 months here.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,540 times
I have read many of these comments and its hilarious!! I have lived in Kissimmee since 1991, I agree the schools here are horrible. When I moved here there were not many spanish people, I was treated horriblie in school for being hispanic and I was born in United States!! Yes Kissimmee is full of spanish speaking people as a matter of fact if you so called "Americans" are as proud as I am to be part of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA then you would know your history!! If it wasnt for Spains KING and QUEEN none of us would be here!! Spain was the one that believed in Christopher Columbus therefore Hispanics or latinos have as much right to be here as anyone else!!! If you are true "Americans" then you would notice that FLORIDA is a spanish Name, so is California, Louisiana, Montana, N. and S.Carolina, and etc. do you know what that means ladies and gentlemen? Yes thats right us spanish people have an influence in "your" culture!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
I do not think most people have any problems with hispanic people or culture per se, but they are intimidated by the language barrier that arises when foreign speaking neighbors start to make up the majority of their neighborhood and city.
I am not saying I necessarily feel that way, but that is the feeling I get from a lot of people's posts.
Everyone wants to live in their own space with those that will be respectful of their space and their property as well as there own. Speaking for myself, if I have those things and feel safe, I do not care what ethnicity I live by and around. Crime is committed by every ethnic group and people from every group also let their lawns go or play loud music, so saying that is specific to any group is a huge stereotype. It all comes down to respect and some people have it or are taught it and some others are not, across the board.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM

163 posts, read 390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold&FIT View Post
....If you are true "Americans" then you would notice that FLORIDA is a spanish Name, so is California, Louisiana, Montana, N. and S.Carolina, and etc. do you know what that means ladies and gentlemen? Yes thats right us spanish people have an influence in "your" culture!
Thanks for pointing this out. You made a good point. I've been living in Poinciana since May of this year, and my only complaint is the seclusion and lack of activity. All of this stuff about gangs and drugs is beyond me. Maybe I just havn't paid attention, but I havn't seen it where I live. I live on the polk county side Near Lake Hatchineah (did I spell it right?) and Haines city. I think the problem is a lot of bored teenagers. There aren't a lot of job opportunities out here for them, because there is nothing here but a wal mart, a publix, and a couple of video stores. Yes Poinciana is growing, but not fast enough.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 AM

9 posts, read 39,257 times
Another downside to Poinciana is the traffic. Since it is limited in entrances there is a back up daily of people commuting to work both in and out. We do not live in poinciana, but still avoid the area entirely from 7-9 am and 4-7pm!
We live in Saint Cloud and love it.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
Default Home info

I was reading this forum and thought some of you may be interested in taking advantage of bank owned properties. Right now my husband and I work to get families who have less than perfect credit into houses with mortgage payments as low as their rent. If you have a credit score of 580, you only have to put 3.5% down, which is way lower than a normal home loan. If you have a 620, you don't have to put anything down as long as you choose a house in an approved area. There are plenty of homes in the Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Poinciana and Orlando areas.

All of these homes are 2003 and up and the renovation is free. The mortgage payment also includes the principal, interest, tax and insurance. We've helped 30 families so far and the number is climbing. I mean, you would literally be amazed at the types of homes that you qualify for. If anyone seeks more information, please contact me. My email address is [email]kldalouche28@hotmail.com[/email].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando