Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1972 View Post
My wife and I are both 35 & live in NY (Long Island) and are planning on moving to the Kissimmee/Orlando area. We had thought of Poinciana until coming across this forum. Is it still bad, crime wise? Has it gotten any better? We are planning on coming down soon to look at areas. Any other areas that people can suggest? And we don't want to learn how to speak Spanish (no offense) if we don't have to. Thanks!
If you don't have kids and plan not to have kids then Solivita , if you have kids or plan to have kids then Bellalago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,713 times
Default Thanks for the info Charlie.

Could you give me an idea about rental and real estate prices in your area? I'm living in Jacksonville, Florida but not too happy uphere.
I'm hispanic living in the States for more than 38 years. I do not like crowded cities. I used to live in Miami but everytime I go back to that city
it seems to me it is getting worse and more expensive.
My wife and myself are looking for a decent, quiet place to live and enjoy.
We are both retirees and I work part-time for Publix Supermarkets.

Once more, thanks for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly77 View Post
I just moved from Miami to Orlando a little over a month ago. We Love it!!!! It is so much nicer than Miami. My husband and I wanted a better education for our children. We got it. The schools here are awesome!

I am in the Lake Nona/Moss park area. It is south Orange County. Just off Narcoossee Road. Between the 417 and the 528. 20 minutes for the theme parks, but away from all the traffic. The people here are so nice. There are so any community events for the whole family. There is a nice mix of people from different places. White, Hispanic, Black, Asian, etc. They have a wonderful YMCA here as well.

When I went back to Miami during this last month, I looked around and thought to myself, I lived here! When you are there living in all the craziness of Miami you tend not to look outside the box. Life becomes normal to you. When you finally look else where you finally see that there is more to life.

I recommend that you take a trip up here and look around and see what area really suits your needs.

Last edited by MrWhite; 01-08-2009 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Should be directed to Charly77 no Charlie, sorry

Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,427 times
bostontoorlando - Have you heard anything about the schools in Southern Orlando?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,755 times
Hello! I'm about to graduate college this December and I was looking into working at Walt Disney World (yes, I understand the pay is crap & they treat their employees like slaves, so don't bother talking me out of auditioning ^_^).

Anyway, I will be 23 & am not planning on having any children in the next 5 years, so schools aren't a thing for me. I'm only planning on being in FL for a year or two - to gain experience & move on. I've lived in Georiga for almost 15yrs now (ironically I was born in Miami ^_^) & I love it, so I'm not looking to make a permanent 'family' home in Florida. I don't speak Spanish, but I do plan on teaching myself enough to get by because of the well-known fact that Florida is very diverse ^_^ (side note: I have no problem with any other races (I'm white, fyi) - my only "problem" is not being able to communicate - I know some Japanese & I can read a bit of Latin, but that's not going to help LOL)

I've been searching for an affordable apartment (studio or one bedroom) (esp on that poor wage I'll be receiving) and I've read all 8 pages of this board & so far I've come up with: St. Cloud & Lake Mary/Seminole Count (Clermont, Auburndale, Lake Nona/Moss Park area, Broward and Winter Garden. The others are either too expensive or received too many mixed reviews).

I've actually found a very cute apartment (via online) in Fern Park and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this area? Mapquest has it about 40 minutes away from Disney.

My main concern is having a little bit of safety - I won't be stupid enough to wander around alone at night (in any city!) but I would like to feel secure walking my dog during the day and evening. I'm currently living in a not so safe place (attempted rape in my actual apartment building & I've been followed a few times) but I at least feel okay during the day LOL

Thanks for any help/suggestions! I know now to leave the Orlando area alone - it seems more trouble than it's worth! (& growing up on St. Simons Island (near Jekyll), I'm used to tourists ^_^).

Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,012 times
We had friends who lived in Fern Park years ago and they seemed to like it. Could have changed by now.

You greater concern is probably the commute.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
I have lived in Poinciana now for 7yrs...and the last 3 have been the worst..i live in the "villeges" and let me tell you , you might as well stay in Miami, there is a HUGE amount of Spanish people here...and most are Puerto Ricans..which if your A Cuban they don't like to well....The Crime is getting bad, Poinciana spans across two counties ..Osceola which is very crowded and Polk which is getting crowded..Osceola county the homes are built a little bit closer together then in Polk...
The Crime is creeping in...BIG TIME.. there are alot of Young THug punks here ..and why i say that is because there is nothing for these kids to do on the weekend so they cause trouble...Two murders already this yr...by KIDS!..
The APV which is the "governing body" for the Villeges is a JOKE...the lady that runs it is a Idiot, Keeps blaming all the crime on "growing pains" .. and that was 4 urs ago when she started saying that....The area use to be nice and for the most part it WOULD be nice still if they would get their heads out of their u know whats and start planning for a "City" or a town ship.....
Now St cloud is nice but it is kind of "redneck " there...and there is not alot of spanish there..there is however a HUGE KKK following there
There are deed restrictions in Poinciana that they TRY to make people obide too.. but with over 47,000 acres to patrol by the local sheriff , you know that alot of things are let go.....
I think that because of HUGE Spanish Population here the Sheriff Neglects Poinciana...and thats why we need our own police dept...but im sure i will be moved out of here before that happens...
the Traffic is HORRID!......
Oh and they cater to the Retires that live in the Retirement Villege of Solivita!
when i looked last time there where over 1000 homes for sale in Poinciana!.. i think that should tell you somthing!
schools are way over croweded.....and about 65% non english speaking.that does'nt just mean spanish.....there are Haitians , aficans , Germans and Russians here...
there use to be a poiciana web site but thats gone now...
good luck in what ever you decided!......
This isn't the first time you spouted off on retires from Solivita. Don't know what your problem is. We don't impact the community in anything other then a positive way - we obey laws, we pay taxes & don't have kids going to schools, we support local stores, we fight for the right to have a hospital(not only for us but more importantly for children to be able to get medical help quickly) etc.,etc.,etc. and all this is perceived as being catered to??

Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,710 times
Does anyone know how difficult it might be to get a job at Disney? Do they hire retirees? (probably not for Cinderella.) Thank you, Jan South Bend, IN (Go Irish)

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,859 times
Coming from Maryland you dont know expensive. 1300 to 1400 for 1 bedrooms and you dont always make the money to afford its just the way it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando