Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM

15 posts, read 51,320 times

Advertisements

Hey there! Just a short intro of me: I'm 22, I lived and went to school in the daytona beach area for the last 3 years. I'm looking to move to Orlando and go to UCF, but I'm going at it alone, with no parental help, so I'd need a job to help pay rent (I have about 6 months' living expenses saved). How easy is it for a student to find a part-time job (~20 hrs/wk) there? Nothing flashy; target or Starbucks or any other minimum wage job that'll help pay the bills.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,645,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCdude View Post
Hey there! Just a short intro of me: I'm 22, I lived and went to school in the daytona beach area for the last 3 years. I'm looking to move to Orlando and go to UCF, but I'm going at it alone, with no parental help, so I'd need a job to help pay rent (I have about 6 months' living expenses saved). How easy is it for a student to find a part-time job (~20 hrs/wk) there? Nothing flashy; target or Starbucks or any other minimum wage job that'll help pay the bills.

Thanks in advance!
Pretty easy, especially now cause the season. I just got one, and I know many people who got one recently.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM

15 posts, read 51,320 times
Thanks, GLS. Excellent news for me. I'm currently up in NY (where I grew up), and will be moving down shortly if all goes as planned. This helps me solidify my decision just a little bit more!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 AM

629 posts, read 1,713,734 times
You might see if UCF has any part-time positions for students. A lot of the front desk folks at the library or dorms or different buildings are students working part time. Pretty easy work, and you usually have a lot of down time where you can study. Since you're already on campus for classes it saves you the time of driving to work and back a few times a week.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 AM

33 posts, read 91,929 times
There are tons of part-time jobs in hospitality. Check out the theme parks or hotels.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,109,196 times
Should not be too hard to find a part time job. Most retail will work with you on your hours. My son worked for Disney. He scheduled his classes so they were only 2 days a week and could work more hours. Disney worked with him on the days and hours. One year he also was a Resident Assistant in one of the dorms, worked Friday , Saturdays, and Sunday at at Disney, and did an engineering internship at a local tech business. He was a life guard at Disney because then he had all nights off for studying. The drive from campus got old, though. Sea World is closer. He is still at Disney trying to move up into an imagineer position or into management if he never makes the engineer department.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 PM

535 posts, read 1,405,719 times
I've been looking for a job since August and nothing.... I am a student at UCF and for the sucky economy I won't be able to go to school next semester just because I don't have a job and I have to use my saving for my living exepenses... I regret coming here, I spent all my savings and I have nothing left... Now, I'll have to go back to Miami with my parents and al least get a McDonnalds' job... I hope they don't ask me for a 4 year degree to flip burgers or clean toilets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando