Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,451 times

Advertisements

Hello all. After 6 years in Austin my job has finally allowed me to relocate back to Florida. I grew up in Gainesville and my wife grew up in south Florida, so it's great to be coming back. We will be moving in the next few months (hopefully, if my house sells). My job site is located right next to UCF, so I'd like to live around there.

Anyway, before we make the move my wife really wants to visit and take a tour of the area and make sure we like it. That's where I could really use some help. We've never been in this area, so I want to find some good neighborhoods and things to do. A little about us:

* We're about 30 years old
* We have one 2 year old and another on the way
* We're looking for home ~ 215k-275k
* Prefer decent size lots (> 1/4 acre) with "real" trees
* High quality schools and low crime are most important

I've done a LOT of reading on city-data so I know some things already. I have a few questions that I could really use some help on though.

* From what I hear Oviedo and Winter Springs are really nice with great schools. Is there anywhere else with a short commute that I should be looking at other than those areas?
* I've seen a lot of post on neighborhoods in Oviedo to looks at, but haven't seen much on what are good in Winter Springs. What do yall think.
* Is Chuluota nice, or is it just one of those builder communities that doesn't seem like it will retain its value and stay nice.
* Has anyone seen a map with all the different neighborhoods in Oviedo on it? I want to visit them all to try to get a feel for the area, but I don't really know where they are. Has anyone in this forum made a google map with this info on it, or have a link to one? If not, maybe I will make one to help everyone out after me
* Is there anywhere non-house related I should take my wife to make her feel good about the area? Like good parks where she'll be able to take the little one (she's a stay-at-home mom). Places to kayak, to shop, to eat, etc.

I know this is a big request, but I hear this area is GREAT for families and I really want her to feel comfortable with the move. I'm super excited but she's nervous and I really want her to feel comfortable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

-=Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,130,374 times
* From what I hear Oviedo and Winter Springs are really nice with great schools. Is there anywhere else with a short commute that I should be looking at other than those areas?
I'd say Winter Springs is going to be your best bet given your criteria. Most other area's are going to be a much longer commute.

* I've seen a lot of post on neighborhoods in Oviedo to looks at, but haven't seen much on what are good in Winter Springs. What do yall think.
For Winter Springs, what would match your criteria to a T would be Tuskawilla (no pun intended). There are several neighborhoods in the general area, very well established with mature oaks all along the main throughfare of the neighborhood (winter springs blvd). Google the corner ot Tuskawilla and Winter Springs Blvd for the nearest cross St. For a newer community but may still work for you, in Oviedo there is Live Oak Reserve and Sactuary, there are some larger homes with larger lots, but sanctuary has few tree's Live Oak is a bit better though. In general though, most Oviedo neighborhoods are smaller, and there are too many to name here.

* Is Chuluota nice, or is it just one of those builder communities that doesn't seem like it will retain its value and stay nice.
That's only for the future to determine, but if it where me, I"d stick with Oviedo or Winter Springs. The only nicer community I liked in Chuluota is Osprey Lakes....or if you were to get one of the homes not in a subdivision on it's on acreage.

* Has anyone seen a map with all the different neighborhoods in Oviedo on it? I want to visit them all to try to get a feel for the area, but I don't really know where they are. Has anyone in this forum made a google map with this info on it, or have a link to one? If not, maybe I will make one to help everyone out after me
Check out wikimapia....new, and looks like nobody has updated the neighborhoods in Oviedo yet...but I'll add some this week. To visit them all though your agent can give you a general tour of the area, neighborhoods, and amenities. Or if you don't have one I can be of assistance.

* Is there anywhere non-house related I should take my wife to make her feel good about the area? Like good parks where she'll be able to take the little one (she's a stay-at-home mom). Places to kayak, to shop, to eat, etc.
For Winter Springs take her over to the Winter Springs Towncenter at Tuskawilla and 434, Then right behind there and a little further west on 434 where Winter Springs high is, there is a HUGE adjacent park. Then there is Black Hammock Park on the East end of 434...though that's more for "woods activities" air boad rides etc....not sure I'd go kayaking there, Lake Jessup has ALOT of gators, but not much of an issue. For kayaking that is close, i'd go to Wekiva Springs in Longwood which isn't too far away.
There is also the Oviedo Marketplace for an indoor mall, or a drive up the 417 to the Seminole Mall.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
You can kayak at the springs:

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Old 12-05-2010, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 267,516 times
hi! We just moved to Oviedo from Frisco, Texas and so far...we love it! The kids start school on Monday and the schools seem awesome.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM

4 posts, read 21,759 times
The neighborhoods you mentioned will include a commute for you plus there is a good amount of crime. If I had a new job next to UCF and I had a small young family I would move to the "affordable" part of Winter Park, specifically east of Lakemont Ave, west of Semoran -436 - south of Howell Branch all the way down to Aloma - great area where you may find a starter home - it may not be the size and freshness of a newer home in the outskirts , but at least there is a much lower chance someone will probably not target you for a home invasion or a burglary. It happens quite often in our area. BTW, all "A" schools.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 AM

237 posts, read 1,054,863 times
If you and your wife are going to be in the area, make sure you visit the Tuskawilla area in Winter Springs. As GregTraub suggested, I think Tuskawilla sounds like a great place for your criteria. There are many neigborhoods with different price ranges, but most will fit your needs.

I know many young families in Tuska Oaks,Oak Forest & Tuskawilla Springs(slightly bigger lots) who go to the local elementary school. It's a very family oriented area and it feels like a tight community. When ever I wonder over to Trotwood park or local stores, I usually run into someone we know and I've only been in the area for a little over a year. The families are very down to earth and friendly.

Tuskawilla is sort of in between Winter Springs and Oviedo. Half(plus or minus) the kids are zoned for Winter Springs schools and the other Half go to Oviedo schools depending on which side you live. Both are great.

Good luck with your househunting!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
I would also suggest Tuskawilla. Good amenities and convenience for a reasonably priced homes and most neighborhood there have "real" trees. Oviedo is nice also but IMO Tuskawilla is better for younger families. As far as things to do, try ANY of our great public parks. I think there's a good one on Red Bug Rd. People here really enjoy using the parks, especially when the weather is cooler like it is now. Light Up UCF is going on right now at the UCF arena with a skating rink, light show, and other attractions.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
I would reccomended carilon in Oviedo. It's a great family community walking distance to the elementary and high school and also walking/biking distance to UCF. In other words you basically won't have a commute. The schools are A rated and it has great amenities, from neighborhood parks, trails, sports facilities and close to stores and restaurants. You also get big name concerts at the ucf arena. About a 15 min drive to downtown Orlando, 20-40 to the theme parks and attractions and about 45 mins to the beaches.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,451 times
Thanks for all the advice! I really like the idea of a short commute. I hadn't seen Carillon before and that looks really good too. There are just too many nice choices and so many houses on the market. Of course, that's a good thing for me. It seems like in that area it's hard to go wrong. Once we find some houses I'm sure I'll be posting more asking advice from people who really know the area.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,993 times
Need help. I'm relocating with company to the Orlando area. I have a son who's a freshman in HS. Lookinig at Hagerty HS. Good choice? He's a soccer player also. Also, looking for a home under 120 k...this will allow us to stay debt free. Thanks in advance for replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando