Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,790 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data folks! My husband and I are relocating in May 2011 to the Orlando area because my husband will be attending school there once he ETS's from the Army. We are around 30 and have two children who will be in 1 & 3 grades for the 2011/2012 school year. I will also be graduating college and am trying hard to find a job, with no luck thus far.

The school my husband will be attending is on Delegates Drive, in the 32837 zip code, which looks to be in the Hunters Creek area on the map. I've been researching places to live, and have come up with these options so far: Hunters Creek, Lake Nona, Avalon Park, Windermere (in the Southern Orlando area). However, further north I've been looking at Seminole County - Lake Mary, Oveido, Winter Park areas.

The northern areas seem to be nice and look a little more on the outskirts, which I like. However, does anyone know how long that commute would be, from one of the northern Orlando areas I mentioned, to the school in the Hunters Creek area? I realize it's dependent on traffic, etc - I'm just trying to get an estimate to see if it's do-able, or ridiculous to live that far away.

Of course, with two children I am very concerned about schools and their performance. So far the ones in Hunters Creek seem to be getting good reviews, as well as those in Seminole County. I am also interested in charter schools, especially Core Knowledge, which I didn't find any of in Orlando (the Core Knowledge). If anyone has any info or advice they could impart on the school stuff (including Core Knowledge)as well, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I should mention - we are looking to rent in a nice apartment complex with good amenities, not purchase a home, as we currently own one in GA we are unable to sell right now. So property taxes and home prices wouldn't be a huge factor, except in that of course we want to live in a nice neighborhood, with low crime. I realize crime is everywhere, but I'd like to walk down the street and let our kids play without a lot of worry.

I know this is a lot of info to request, but I truly appreciate any honest opinions. I've been reading a lot on here already, so I have some ideas. THANKS!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 PM

31 posts, read 57,463 times
Hello,
I am myself thinking of relocating in Central Fl and from what I've read in the forums, Seminole County is the best choice. I'm from Québec (Canada) and I just want to leave the winter and the taxes!!!!!!!!!!
I've lived in Miami a few times (I've gone back and forth at least 4 times) and I couldn't adjust, I can't put my finger on the exact reason!
I would love also for the people in the forum to answer us and give us some advices. What gives me the motivation to relocate is that the houses are really cheap now but I've heard that insurance and taxes can be really expensive.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,174 times
Personally, the drive from Seminole would be too much.

I drive to Downtown from Altamonte Springs/Longwood and it is a pain at 30+ minutes for 12 miles. My wife HATED the drive to Conway (north of the Airport) at 50+ minutes in traffic. She would rather drive 60 minutes to Leesburg than fight traffic.

Now I like the wooded lots and trees around Wekiva and that is a big reason for me to live where I do.

Maybe if you were in Oviedo, the drive wouldn't be so bad on the 417 toll. Still around 45+ minutes to drive.

I have a coworker who lives in Hunters Creek and they think Hunters Creek is great! They have a 5 and 3 year old.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,790 times
Default Dr. Phillips?

I posted before, and was looking to relioacte our young family to the Orlando area in about five months. My husband's school there is on 9751 Delegates Drive. Is living in Dr. Phillips appropriate for the commute? What is that area like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando