Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 AM

30 posts, read 150,215 times

Advertisements

Since we're still chewing on the crime bone, let's pull this thread back up, and let me ask again...What do you think needs to be done. Seriously. Here are some thoughts I had, what do you think?

I worked way up in the mountians in the Carolinas with people who had NOTHING -- no running water, no electricity, (let alone a fridge and air conditioner) -- and kids and old people who seriously didn't have enough to eat. And yet had a degree of dignity that you don't see in other simular situations. They do the best they can.

I'm not saying one situation is worse than another. And I'm not with out compassion, on the contrary. Not having enough is not having enough. Here's an idea -- instead of building a multi billion dollar convention/entertainment/sports venue, how about we get some community programs out there to get people on their feet and working -- how about programs to promote community pride, self pride -- how about job programs -- youth programs -- food pantry programs? Bet you could get all that started with a fraction of what they'll spend the, "venue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,213 times
Exclamation Do your own research!!!!

I am a native from Floridian and its SO sad to see people bashing where Im from.

I grew up in Coral Springs which is the nations top 5 for safest city in the U.S. So I never really experienced any type of crime through out my childhood up into my first year of college UNTIL I moved to Orlando- UCF Area!!

BAD IDEA! It sucks that I had to move back home due to a drug raid in my apartment because of my new roommates, a car accident, and theft.
I lived directly across from the University of Central Florida.

Winter Park & Altamonte are far worse then where I was at but Im 19 a black female and I have NEVER felt SO afraid to even go to gas station.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish my parents never let me move there- As of right now, Im doing my research to attend Howard University and Im not that interested in going anymore because of the area surrounding the school.

I only moved to Orlando for school and after 2 months I had to come back. It really is horrible that I have to change my school decisions because of crime in a neighbor hood!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
we need more of this kind of positive thinking in the government and in local politics....good reply....thanx for your input
The experts are saying that the venues will pay for themselves plus add millions of dollars to our local economy. They'll be bringing in more tourists, more tourists will come to downtown Orlando instead of spending all their money at Disney World, and locals and tourists will be spending more money at downtown businesses because of the venues. On top of all that, a good chunk of the up-front expenses are being covered through the tourist tax so the city will only be paying a small portion of the costs.

Think about it. If the whole economy receives a boost then that means our tax revenues go up so we can afford to help the poor, fight crime, educate our kids, etc. It also means that more jobs get created as a ripple effect. This helps a lot of people. I'm thinking of this as an investment in Orlando's future. I am skeptical that it's going to all be positive and go without a hitch, but in the long run I think the general plan is good for Orlando. Our elected officials better watch out that they're being good stewards with the big bucks they're talking about spending, however. Things can go sour real quick if mistakes are made, and reputations are definitely on the line!

Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw1 View Post
The experts are saying that the venues will pay for themselves plus add millions of dollars to our local economy. They'll be bringing in more tourists, more tourists will come to downtown Orlando instead of spending all their money at Disney World, and locals and tourists will be spending more money at downtown businesses because of the venues. On top of all that, a good chunk of the up-front expenses are being covered through the tourist tax so the city will only be paying a small portion of the costs.

Think about it. If the whole economy receives a boost then that means our tax revenues go up so we can afford to help the poor, fight crime, educate our kids, etc. It also means that more jobs get created as a ripple effect. This helps a lot of people. I'm thinking of this as an investment in Orlando's future. I am skeptical that it's going to all be positive and go without a hitch, but in the long run I think the general plan is good for Orlando. Our elected officials better watch out that they're being good stewards with the big bucks they're talking about spending, however. Things can go sour real quick if mistakes are made, and reputations are definitely on the line!

I hope it gets better and that Orlando can somehow start to set an example of how a city should be.....

Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscholar08 View Post
I am a native from Floridian and its SO sad to see people bashing where Im from.

I grew up in Coral Springs which is the nations top 5 for safest city in the U.S. So I never really experienced any type of crime through out my childhood up into my first year of college UNTIL I moved to Orlando- UCF Area!!

BAD IDEA! It sucks that I had to move back home due to a drug raid in my apartment because of my new roommates, a car accident, and theft.
I lived directly across from the University of Central Florida.

Winter Park & Altamonte are far worse then where I was at but Im 19 a black female and I have NEVER felt SO afraid to even go to gas station.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish my parents never let me move there- As of right now, Im doing my research to attend Howard University and Im not that interested in going anymore because of the area surrounding the school.

I only moved to Orlando for school and after 2 months I had to come back. It really is horrible that I have to change my school decisions because of crime in a neighbor hood!!!
This post is really confusing to me. What made you afraid to go to the gas station near UCF? I go to University Carillon Methodist Church right across from UCF. This is definitely not what I would call a high-crime area. I'm thinking the drug-bust is a good thing. Unfortunately, any college population at any college you want to go to is going to have some idiots who do drugs. Car accidents and theft can happen absolutely anywhere. Winter Park and Altamonte don't have a lot of crime either. I suppose it's all relative, but I'm certainly not afraid to send my daughter to UCF. Howard on the other hand is located near some of the roughest streets in DC. They had major problems with gangs and drive-by shootings back when I lived up there in the late 80's. No crime problems in Orlando even come close to what they face up there.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I Have experienced being robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte, and had a knife to my face in downtown Orlando, and have been in "various" road rage incedents in the Orlando area and 2 fights in traffic along with these road rage incedents.....welll even after being through all of that living in the suburban areas of Orlando...i still believe that there are plenty of nice and safe areas to drive around in or live in...I have driven down OBT and Paramore a bunch of times and i saw a group of dogs running a train on each other down Paramore ave after leaving a magic game ....lol....and a crack head tryed to come up and ask me something but it was simple ...as soon as i saw him i drove off through the red light.....ive seen this kind of stuff in all cities ive lived in though and learned to just drive around the problem when you are where you dont know anybody.......its all about who u know in these areas really .........imagine if you actually had family in a place that you "fear" now
You are right to say the whole Orlando area is not bad. But you have got to admit, Orlando has a lot of bad areas.... I'd say MOSTLY bad areas.

Sounds like a healthy lifestyle to be in the Orlando area for. Robbed once, knife on face once, and several road rage issues. Like you, I also got tired of seeing Crackheads in every corner downtown and gang grafitti in many areas of East Orlando. I got tired of the violence... oh and that HUGE grafitti on I-4 East going from Orlando towards Winter Springs, on the right side of the road.... terrible that we have gangs that operate that blatantly and that they are moving to the once-safe Seminole County. I also saw the awful daily road rage incidents you mention... well incident is an understatement here. I meant to say the usual daily roadrage occurences. The lack of infra-structure and Orlando's mayor's incompetent and mismanagement of funds that SHOULD go to build roads and improve the criminal justice system..... ARRGGG! That is why I got the heck OUT of the Orlando area... I got tired of all that nonsense.

I say the Orlando area is way overrated. People talk about it like it still is the clean, safe, friendly, and affordable paradise it once was.

Please note "WAS" in the last sentence. Orlando is being marketed as it was in its former "glory", if you will. Now, I say Orlando is really depressing in a lot of ways... sad in many ways, and angering in others. I still find a lot of people, living in denial, pretending Orlando is what it is not anymore (it is not safe, clean, affordable, friendly anymore).... that is sad. Scary, if you ask me.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Default Apopka..........

I grew up and lived in Europe most of my life, then moved to Fort Lauderdale...then 2 1/2 years later moved to Apopka....because hubby wanted to move to Orlando! I was very happy in Fort Lauderdale! btw.

I HATE THIS TOWN......I don't have caps big enough to emphasize how much I hate it!

I drive 5 minutes and I am in crack town either way I go! all this "crack towns" exist in Europe too...but around and very far from down town areas of cities!

I can't walk to anything unless I want a heart attack from this stupid heat! and there are no places for kids unless they are daycares......and to get to an indoor playground I have to drive 40 to 50 minutes out of my way! not to mention the nicer beaches are 2 1/2 hours away.....don't even get me started on Daytona and surrounding areas! AND properties went down by $90,000 mine included from last year!

Yes, I was born with the silver spoon.....however it doesn't take my silver spoon to tell me what sucks in Orlando and what doesn't! it is all over the news! and as far as I am concerned, if you have to get "Angels" to help with crime....that only tells me that the police stations are useless and are not doing their job!! and also that the City leaders suck! if you leave a touristic city like this one get swallowed by crack towns on every corner....then what should we expect in a non touristic area!?!?....look at all the down town areas across the US....ALL of them are miserably dirty, and filled with crack heads! why is that exactly? people work their ass off in high rises all day, so they can be robbed when they get off work!?
We went to a club opening one night a few months ago, in down town Orlando, Church Street, and I wasn't sure we will get back home.....ton of miserable homeless people, and weird looking crack heads....and you're supposed to be going to a high end club!!!! I thought we will never get back to the car or that the car will be there all together...........and no, I am not even driving a fancy car!

No jobs, I am looking for a administrative job that pays more than $10 bucks an hour for the last 6 months..........I have 2 children and putting both through daycare or preschool requires a lot more than $10 bucks an hour!

Yes, I am looking to move out of this dump....I've had enough!

Whatever you do......don't move to Apopka...you'll hate yourself for the rest of your life!

I can't wait to get the hell out of this dump!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

239 posts, read 799,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I grew up and lived in Europe most of my life, then moved to Fort Lauderdale...then 2 1/2 years later moved to Apopka....because hubby wanted to move to Orlando! I was very happy in Fort Lauderdale! btw.

I HATE THIS TOWN......I don't have caps big enough to emphasize how much I hate it!

I drive 5 minutes and I am in crack town either way I go! all this "crack towns" exist in Europe too...but around and very far from down town areas of cities!

I can't walk to anything unless I want a heart attack from this stupid heat! and there are no places for kids unless they are daycares......and to get to an indoor playground I have to drive 40 to 50 minutes out of my way! not to mention the nicer beaches are 2 1/2 hours away.....don't even get me started on Daytona and surrounding areas! AND properties went down by $90,000 mine included from last year!

Yes, I was born with the silver spoon.....however it doesn't take my silver spoon to tell me what sucks in Orlando and what doesn't! it is all over the news! and as far as I am concerned, if you have to get "Angels" to help with crime....that only tells me that the police stations are useless and are not doing their job!! and also that the City leaders suck! if you leave a touristic city like this one get swallowed by crack towns on every corner....then what should we expect in a non touristic area!?!?....look at all the down town areas across the US....ALL of them are miserably dirty, and filled with crack heads! why is that exactly? people work their ass off in high rises all day, so they can be robbed when they get off work!?
We went to a club opening one night a few months ago, in down town Orlando, Church Street, and I wasn't sure we will get back home.....ton of miserable homeless people, and weird looking crack heads....and you're supposed to be going to a high end club!!!! I thought we will never get back to the car or that the car will be there all together...........and no, I am not even driving a fancy car!

No jobs, I am looking for a administrative job that pays more than $10 bucks an hour for the last 6 months..........I have 2 children and putting both through daycare or preschool requires a lot more than $10 bucks an hour!

Yes, I am looking to move out of this dump....I've had enough!

Whatever you do......don't move to Apopka...you'll hate yourself for the rest of your life!

I can't wait to get the hell out of this dump!
It does not take being born with a silver spoon to see the humor and honesty in your post. I was born with a plastic spork from KFC in my mouth and even I know this place is a lackluster poo hole.

But seriously...

I worked in the UK for a year, and then back-and-forth between Belgium and France for about 3 years. I am a patriotic red-blooded American hillbilly, but my time in Europe opened my eyes to the type of lifestyle that can really be enjoyable.

Walkable streets, nice cafes, history that isnt torn down for the next trashy pink stucco strip mall, and a sense of community is missing from Central Florida with the exception of a VERY few places.

I hope you get outta there and find somewhere that makes you happy. My wife and I will be right behind you!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 PM

29 posts, read 76,441 times
We are considering moving to the Orlando area. I currently live in the UK and work in London. I have found that in Orlando if you hear a siren it tends to be a fire truck or ambulance. In London 9 times out of 10 the sirens are police cars or riot vans many times a day. There are alot of stabbings and shootings many latley are teenagers. I feel that Oralando has a lot to offer my family and was very impressed by the community spirit that is on offer.
regards
Jon

Old 08-16-2007, 03:18 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
We are considering moving to the Orlando area. I currently live in the UK and work in London. I have found that in Orlando if you hear a siren it tends to be a fire truck or ambulance. In London 9 times out of 10 the sirens are police cars or riot vans many times a day. There are alot of stabbings and shootings many latley are teenagers. I feel that Oralando has a lot to offer my family and was very impressed by the community spirit that is on offer.
regards
Jon

What part of Orlando did you visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando