Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times

Advertisements

Ok Magic fans the season is all but over. All that will be left within a week is a memory of a disappointing regular season, a horrendous playoffs, and wondering what the hell Otis Smith did to this team. Seeing the Magic's entire offense exposed by Atlanta's game plan has been humbling: don't double team Dwight, foul him when needed, and pressure the outside shooters to make shots. The formula works. We don't have a player that can make pressure shots apparently. Turk's career is officially in the toilet, J-Rich is not living up to expectations, Anderson is not a playoff-caliber player, and I don't know when Jameer Nelson completely forgot how to shoot or even make a layup, but it has happened. He has been, for me, the biggest disappointment in these few playoff games because the offense runs through him. I do not think he should be the starter next year, as it is clear he cannot lead this team. He was never a great passer or true point guard. Take away his scoring and he becomes nothing more than an undersized guard who can't defend anyone.

That brings me to Gilbert Arenas. I have been holding off on calling that trade a bust because I know what Arenas is capable of. Last night we finally saw the glimpse. THAT is how a point guard is supposed to look when they are seeing and feeling the court. His movements, his ability to break down the defense...it was obvious he was in the zone and aware of everyone around him. Jameer just does not have this ability...it's not in him. Jameer has a nice crossover and can get to the basket, but the man has no court vision. Point guards are supposed to have vision first and foremost. I believe next year's season hinges on Arenas getting the starting job. I don't think we will be able to do anything in the offseason to bring in a star point guard, so we are stuck with Jameer and Gil. Jameer had a full healthy season and has left us disappointed. He has not stepped up this postseason. He's an overachiever. Next year, I believe Gilbert will take the starting job away from Jameer. Having him make a comeback is the only hope that the Magic have of keeping Dwight. If Arenas is able to get fully healthy, and that is a BIG if, the Magic will have their second guy, and it is possible that 1-2 combo could make for an explosive offense. If not, the Magic will finish in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff seeding, Dwight will leave the following year and this team will be back in the lottery. I truly believe the future of the Magic right now is in Arenas's hands. Doesn't sound like very good hands to be in at this point, but that is the position Otis put us in and that is how I see it. There is simply no other player on this team that has his level of talent and there is no other savior in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
I hope he can come back. He was a beast in his younger days. We have got to keep Dwight.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
If next year happens, we have a shot at keeping Dwight. If next year is a lock out, then I predict that he will leave due to an impending first round elimination. There is no way we can beat Atlanta 3 times in a row without loosing at least one of those games. As for Pete's commentary on our 2 point guards, IDK but it sounds good. Realistically, we should have viewed this year as a rebuilding year from the start and not waited to change things up. If I could go back to the team that went to the finals and give them another shot, I would however Rafer would have been my starting PG. In the time since then, Turk got lazy in Toronto, we traded Howard's Polish twin Gortat and now have no backup at Center, and took a gamble on a troubled star in Arenas that might pay off next year.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If next year happens, we have a shot at keeping Dwight. If next year is a lock out, then I predict that he will leave due to an impending first round elimination. There is no way we can beat Atlanta 3 times in a row without loosing at least one of those games. As for Pete's commentary on our 2 point guards, IDK but it sounds good. Realistically, we should have viewed this year as a rebuilding year from the start and not waited to change things up. If I could go back to the team that went to the finals and give them another shot, I would however Rafer would have been my starting PG. In the time since then, Turk got lazy in Toronto, we traded Howard's Polish twin Gortat and now have no backup at Center, and took a gamble on a troubled star in Arenas that might pay off next year.
I'm holding on to hope here but if anyone can blow a 3 game lead and drop 3 games straight...it's ATL

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM

114 posts, read 306,581 times
The Magic are not winning this series.

And its for two reasons:

1) Defense. Primarily stopping Crawford.

2) Three point shooting.

I dont think Gilbert is the sole answer. There needs to be better spacing and passing.

Jason Richardson, Ryan Anderson, Jameer, JJ and Gilbert have to do this collectively.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
The Magic are not winning this series.

And its for two reasons:

1) Defense. Primarily stopping Crawford.

2) Three point shooting.

I dont think Gilbert is the sole answer. There needs to be better spacing and passing.

Jason Richardson, Ryan Anderson, Jameer, JJ and Gilbert have to do this collectively.
I said next season depends on Gilbert...not this playoff series. This right here is no championship caliber team. We already know the capabilities of the rest of the guys, and the talent just isn't there. Gilbert is the only question mark as we still don't know if he can become a great player again after the injuries and issues he faced. I still think he can.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM

And I say this PLAYOFF series is determinative of whether D12 stays.

If the Magic lose in the first round after reaching the Finals just two years ago, then its not a matter of WHEN he is leaving but a question of WHERE he is leaving to.

If the Magic come back and win and play a competitive series against the Bulls, then D12 might think TWICE about leaving.

So with all due respect, an analysis of Gilbert having a breakout season to convince Dwight in staying isn't realistic in my view.

Consider this....

If the Lakers don't win the championship, it will actually make their front office more aggressive in trading for Bynum to acquire Howard.

The Knicks are shopping for Howard as well.

So what I am saying is, let's not look to far into the future. Let's worry about now.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:57 PM

The biggest problem we have is that we have the 5th highest average payroll in all of sports, yet cannot win. I'm sure Dwight perceives that as the team following through on their promise to do whatever it takes, but it just didn't work. Now I'd feel more comfortable if LA and NY weren't able to beef up and were maxed out like us, but the truth is, the 2 biggest markets are ready to go fishing in a much smaller pond. This would be the case if we were Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, NOLA, or Charlotte, all small to medium sized markets that don't have the "glam" factor of Hollywood and the Big Apple. 2012 is our only chance to make some moves, push our overpaid players to preform at higher more consistent levels, and see what plays out with other teams in the league. Again, Dwight can't leave until after next year, maybe he'd reconsider if next year we made some serious progress.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Game 5 and the trends in said game will give the Magic a chance at keeping Howard.

Great game tonight!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM

That was certainly a breath of fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando