Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,079 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Oviedo for the school system there (elementary age kids now) and we really get into decorating for the holidays. What are the best neighborhoods that really go all out decorating for Halloween and Christmas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 49,352 times
What a strange question in a recession.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
What a strange question in February.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeresident2 View Post
What a strange question in a recession.
Not sure why you'd think that. My neighborhood has so many displays around the holidays that the airplane pilots could be guided in by it. If you already own all of the stuff, it's free to put it up, and isn't that expensive of a hit on the power bill. (And keep in mind that the majority of people are still working and living more or less the same way as they have been all along.)

Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Frankly it's posts like the OP that make me glad I live in a gated community. Our guards turn away people who don't live here and just want to come in and trick-or-treat or drive around looking at holiday displays. Last Halloween they turned away almost 200 car loads of people--the traffic congestion getting into the neighborhood that night was ridiculous. Stay in your own neighborhood for trick-or treat!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 AM

388 posts, read 790,496 times
I don't think the question is strange at all. I wish I had more insight that I could share, but I definitely know where the OP is coming from. It is a great way to find out how cohesive a community is and how well it might fit them. I for one, live in a development devoid of social interaction and decorations, and it's not for me.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 49,352 times
Here's a suggestion....instead of thinking real hard about where to put up your Christmas lights next season....this might lift your spirit, instead of stroking your ego:
Sell those twinkle lights and plastic Santa's in a garage sale.
Donate that money to the Coalition for the Homeless downtown, the Sanford Humane Society, or any other worthy charity that is helping people in this recession.
Teach those children of yours... whose education you consider a priority, you said...teach them the value of humility.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeresident2 View Post
Here's a suggestion....instead of thinking real hard about where to put up your Christmas lights next season....this might lift your spirit, instead of stroking your ego:
Sell those twinkle lights and plastic Santa's in a garage sale.
Donate that money to the Coalition for the Homeless downtown, the Sanford Humane Society, or any other worthy charity that is helping people in this recession.
Teach those children of yours... whose education you consider a priority, you said...teach them the value of humility.
Some of us already donate heavily of both our time and money to various charities--in 2010 we donated over 10% of our gross income plus over 1000 hours of our time to charitable causes, most of them local grassroots organizations--how about you?

There's nothing wrong with holiday decorations, and I'm certainly not selling them at a garage sale because someone feels begrudged by them.

And considering that my child is 25 years old, his education is long past.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 AM

13 posts, read 24,119 times
I believe the OP was asking the question before moving. Probably to find out a good neighborhood for their family. Not to mooch off of the "Faaancy Gated" community etc. I really am disgusted by all of the negativity which surrounded this.

As for selling the lights for charity. Seriously? Why should this families children do without? I am all about donating and voluntering but good grief? Your Christmas decor? At what point do you enjoy things for yourself without the vultures breathing down your back? I will do alot of things but no sir/ma'am don't you dare mess with my tacky outdoor decor!

Thanks OP for letting me know that we aren't the only ones with happiness left. Make your memories and enjoy them! I wish you luck on finding a fun neighborhood. Just make sure it isn't where these grumps live.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 AM

It's not a matter of "mooching" but rather ridiculous amounts of increased traffic. How would you like an extra 200 cars driving through YOUR neighborhood while YOUR children were out trick or treating? It makes for an inherently unsafe situation with strong potential for tragedy.

We are a pedestrian friendly community, and increased traffic--particularly at night and with people who don't know the topography of our winding roads--is an invitation for someone to get struck by a car that had no business here to begin with. (Of course the person to get hit would probably not even live here and then try to sue us... )

Think about that the next time you make assumptions about why non-residents aren't welcome in our community on Halloween or Christmas.

Last edited by annerk; 02-26-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando