Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 46,184 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
We are relocating to the Orlando area within the next couple of months. My husband's company is located at the Orlando Executive airport. We have been looking at Winter Park/ Lake Mary/Baldwin Park areas. We are thinking about renting before buying. I am a Registered Nurse (RN, BSN) with 4 years experience. I just have a couple questions if anyone can help:
-Can anybody explain the differences between Seminole school district vs. Orange county (We have a son who will be in 8th grade)
-Charter schools vs. Private schools (he is currently attending a private school here)
-Is Orlando Science Middle Charter School a good school? I have been reading good things about this school. Any other schools suggestions?
-Can anybody give me any ideas of the best hospitals to work? Why? How is the pay?
-Any suggestions for other areas other than the ones mentioned above.
Any other tidbit you could add would be greatly appreciated!! We are clueless at this moment:-(

Thanks
JK

Last edited by jkbeacon; 03-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM

58 posts, read 163,235 times
Can't answer all, but some maybe....

1. Orange vs. Seminole district schools...The school systems here are divided by county, thus, Orange County and Seminole County. Both have excellent schools - both have some schools that are below average, but Orange county is considerably larger - and encompasses metro Orlando - and that, by nature, gives it a greater number of sub-par schools. Of course, this is in reference to the public school system. If you live in the Winter Park area, you'll most likely be zoned for Winter Park HS (excellent!) which is in Orange county, or Lake Howell HS (not quite as highly rated) which is in Seminole county. If you're living in Lake Mary, you will most likely be zoned for Lake Mary HS (excellent school) - seminole county.

2. Not sure about comparing private vs. charter, but I know there are several top private schools in the area....Lake Highland Prep School and Trinity Prep being at the top of the list (my list, that is).

3. There are several hospitals in the area, with more being built. Many of them are under the Florida Hospital "umbrella" - not sure of pay scales. Sorry.

Just a note about location....
If your husband is based at Orlando Exec, the closest housing mentioned would be Baldwin Park. It may also be the most expensive. Winter Park is a great area, but the traffic can be a bear - depending on which area of WP you live in. Lake Mary is on the far north side of town - at least a 30 minute drive from Orlando Exec - more if you hit I-4 at the wrong time.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
I'm kinda bias as it relates to hospitals as my sister-in-law is a VP at Florida Hospital, she started as an OR nurse and worked her way up. Florida Hospital is a great group and expanding.

New hospitals are being built in the Lake Nona area in the 600 acre 'Medical City', Nemours Children & Veterans Administration both cutting edge and currently under roof. Also Sanford Burnham and UCF Medical School.

Just showed properties in Nona today, prices ranging from $140,000 to $400,000 and up, not a bad drive to OEA.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
You might also include Oviedo in your options to check out.

The schools across the board at all levels are "A" rated (Oviedo and Hagerty are the high schools) and it's a fairly decent commute to Executive Airport via the 417 and 408. It would also be convenient to the Lake Nona Medplex via the 417 and 528, as well as a half dozen other hospitals.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to get some reviews of particular schools directly from those that have kids there.
It sounds to me that schooling is your utmost priority and that can be a very personal choice. We can all go on and on about how well rated a particular school is, or the opinions we each have on them. But depending on what you want for your child, each school will have it's +'s and -'s.

If you choose a private school, you can obviously live where ever you like, I would avoid the I-4 corridor if you can, especially if your husband will be working normal hours and will get stuck in I-4 Rush hour. Winter Park and Baldwin Park would be your closest options with great housing, as well as being VERY close to at least two of the major hospitals in the area. But there are so many other area's within a 30 minute commute that we'd have to sit down and talk about what you are looking for in a home and community (as well as your school choice) to really narrow things down.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
As far as commutes and communities the areas surrounding or nearby to OEA are all fairly nice. Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Audubon Park, Colonial Towne, Thornton Park and Delaney Park are all good neighborhoods to consider. Among these areas, Winter Park High School district has the best public school options followed by Boone HS (Delaney Park). Glenn Ridge middle school, which is located actually in Baldwin Park, is considered a very good middle school (I beleive Audubon Park is also zoned for Glenridge). Your choices for prep schools are Lake Highland but I've heard it's very pricey. As far as hospitals, there are many in the areas that are dominated by two systems, The Florida Hospital System and Orlando Regional Health. Both have huge main campuses anchoring the north and south of downtown, both are a easy commute from OEA.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Thanks all for your feedback!!
My main concern is the school...there are so many options out there...A+ public schools, charter, magnet, private, etc. I am planning a trip to FL in late April, and plan to use a few days driving around & visiting the different schools with my son. I think that the first thing to do is narrow things down!!!!!!! Our house in AZ won't put on the market until the end of the school year in May, but we want to get a head start on potential relocation areas. If anyone has a recommendation of an alternate area that I have not mentioned, I would really appreciate it. Does anyone know something about the Orange Science Charter Middle School?
Thanks
JK

Last edited by jkbeacon; 03-02-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: format

Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
You might want to look at the Dr. Phillips and Windermere areas. Great school districts

Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,270 times
You should check out Avalon Park. A rated schools, incredibly family-oriented, easy access to the executive airport. Very affordable, master planned neighborhood. Baldwin Park is more upscale than Avalon, but frankly every time I drive through it, it feels cramped and confining and the location surrounding it isn't all that great in my opinion. Avalon Park has much more open space and parks, and is surrounded by other nice subdivisions. Plus with the new road connecting Avalon Park's front door to 528 you have easy access to all destinations now. Fyi, they just announced the widening of Alafaya Trail will begin immediately.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Thank you for your helpful hints! It will give me a better idea of where to start. Thanks for suggesting Avalon Park, it looks like a very nice area too!! Too many choices!!!

Last edited by jkbeacon; 03-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando