Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,913,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear lika ghost View Post
I looked up Toscana... HOA fee there is $670, holy moly. That'll make resale a bit tough.
I'm not sure where you got that information.... Perhaps you were looking at a quarterly number?

The average MONTHLY HOA payment should be around $250.

Ah found it... you were looking at: 7145 REGINA WAY #7, Orlando, FL 32819.... MLS # O5031545

If you look closely that $670 says QUARTERLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 60,710 times
That explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,294,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear lika ghost View Post
So even though it's located west of I-4, south of RDV, and sandwiched right between Lockhart and Eatonville, it's still not a bad location?
Generally speaking no. Years back in the 80/90's that area had a bad reputation. Today I would say some of the surrounding areas are still rundown but no where near as dangerous as some other neighborhoods around town. Also the west of I-4 test really applies mostly to central Orlando/Orange County. For instance Altamonte Springs directly to the north of where you're looking and Dr. Phillips are both highly desirable areas west of I4. This decision really is just a bang for your buck type of decision. For what it's worth, Dr. Phillips tends to be more upscale/high end and Maitland more blue collar/working class if that makes a difference.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM

26,870 posts, read 43,348,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Generally speaking no. Years back in the 80/90's that area had a bad reputation. Today I would say some of the surrounding areas are still rundown but no where near as dangerous as some other neighborhoods around town. Also the west of I-4 test really applies mostly to central Orlando/Orange County. For instance Altamonte Springs directly to the north of where you're looking and Dr. Phillips are both highly desirable areas west of I4. This decision really is just a bang for your buck type of decision. For what it's worth, Dr. Phillips tends to be more upscale/high end and Maitland more blue collar/working class if that makes a difference.
I'm not sure I would call Maitland blue collar/working class...The median household income is $62,500....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitlan...a#Demographics

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,229,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Maitland isn't a bad area, but I much prefer Dr. Phillips. It's one of the most upscale communities in Orlando. The Point Cypress townhomes are gorgeous. I've been in to see the models twice and loved them. I don't know anything about Maitland Village, though.

A bonus to living in Dr. Phillips is you're in the entertainment/shopping mecca of Orlando.. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and I-Drive are all around you, and downtown isn't too far either. Plus, about 2 minutes away from Point Cypress is what's called Restaurant Row, on Sand Lake Rd. There's plenty of gyms around- YMCA, Gold's Gym, Planet Fitness and you'll be about 20 minutes from Orlando International.
Agreed.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,132,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
I'm not sure where you got that information.... Perhaps you were looking at a quarterly number?

The average MONTHLY HOA payment should be around $250.

Ah found it... you were looking at: 7145 REGINA WAY #7, Orlando, FL 32819.... MLS # O5031545

If you look closely that $670 says QUARTERLY.
FYI, you unfortunately can never take what a listing says is the HOA dues as being accurate. The agents that put tthe information in are not always (most of the time) that thorough, especially with short sale listings. The Townhomes at Toscana are definitely not 670/qtr. Toscana has 2 levels of HOA, one of the levels may only be 670/qtr, but the second layer the townhomes pay is another few hundred a qtr. HOA dues there can be as high as $400/mo (it's been a while since I checked ont he community so I can't give exact #) But if considering Toscana, be sure to google the association and all the issues they have had with the former developer still controling the HOA.

As for area, I'd lean toward Dr. Phillips. the neighborhood itself will be quiet but just a few blocks away you have everything and anything you could ever want along SandLake. Plus this area will be your easiest access to the airport.

Maitland, you are closer to less desirable area's though the community your specifically looking at is still very nice. A positive though is that you are also closer to the shops and restaurants along Park Ave.

Have you considered any other area's as well? I particulaly think Downtown Orlando (thornton park) may be ideal for your lifestyle as well.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM

basically this is the list of things I am looking for in no particular order:

- under $330k
- gated community (lock & go..has to be safe)
- new construction if possible, or as new as possible
- 2200+ sq ft / 3+ bd / 2+ bath
- attached garage for 2 cars
- HOA fee under $300/month
- near I-4
- close to shopping, restaurants, bars, cinema, parks, grocery
- decent resale value in 5-10 years
- a good gym nearby that I can also play basketball there often
- not too far away from downtown, winterpark, universal, disney and the airport (that rules out Lake Mary)

There is a reason I am looking at townhomes. Seems to suit my life style better. I don't want condos because I want an attached garage.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,132,620 times
Looks like you've really narrowed everything down! And at this point I'd say the two neighborhoods mentioned are going to be your best bets, have you seen them in person yet?

Only other close possibilities:
-Baldwin park, you can find Townhome style condos that match your criteria, (some in the mid to upper 200's) but HOA dues are going to be steep along with taxes.
-SoDo just south of Downtown has a couple newly constructed townhome communities that look great and are under 300K with super low HOA's, but not gated.
-There are a few good options in Lake Mary (a particular neighborhood, usually 4 stories, some with elevators and rooftop decks) but too far from DT as you stated
-Downtown and Thornton Park is going to be either condo's with only parking spaces in the shared garage (no private garage) or Townhomes that are not in gated neighborhoods and typically older construction.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks Greg,

I considered Baldwin park until I saw it in person. HOW fee is too high and other reasons. Not my style.

I have seen both Maitland Village and Point Cypress in person. They are pretty comparable, with Point Cypress costing 10-15% more.

I'll go up there to see them again soon.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,483,479 times
Dr. Phillips meets everything in your list pretty darn perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando