Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,398 times

Advertisements

Is Orlando suitable for a 30 year old single guy or Tampa ,Miami Better?

this may sound like a dumb question, but which is the Funnest? I may land a job here in Orlando but I may hold out for better options

I like to party nightlife and shopping

but is Orlando Better to live in and drive to have fun in Miami?

problem is Orlando has no Coastline, that bothers me

I know however I have to go where the job is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Swan you are the most thorough poster I have seen looking to relocate to Florida, which is a good thing. Do your homework now so you'll be less likely to regret your decision later. Ok, here's the deal, I'm single 30's professional like you. I have lived in Miami and Orlando and visit Tampa quite often. This is my personal take.

Overall you can not beat Miami when it comes to nightlife. There is a reason it is world renowned, South Beach is a whole nother level. The beaches in south Florida are beautiful, as are the people there. But of course it all comes with a price, a very expensive price. Partying in Miami gets very expensive very fast. It's not uncommon to spend over $20 for cover (that's if you're even "selected" to get in) and over $10 for a beer or $15+ for a mix drink. On any given night you can expect to spend over $100. The other downside, it's a very trendy/superficial scene. You don't have the right look, you don't get in. Other areas, such as Las Olas, Channelside, Hardrock aren't as bad. You also get a more down to earth kind of scene outside of Southbeach. The biggest drawback about Miami/SFL is the driving and cost of living. COL is still relatively low compared to other major cities but high by FL standards. And the driving....be prepared. I95 is jammed basically from 5 am to 8 pm on any given day. The area is also very spread out. You're not likely to make quick trips to go see your friends as in experience, everyone lives in different places that are just too far to drive for a casual visit.

Tampa also has good nightlife, but obviously not 305 level. Tampa has a good single scene, alot of young straight out of college types (USF and UT). The cost of living there is good and driving is not too bad. The drawbacks are that it is also very spread out. There are a few centralized pockets of nightlife (Hyde Park, Downtown St.Pete, Ybor, Channelside) but if one place is a miss it would be difficult to get back into your and drive to the next spot before last call. Tampa is also more run-down and less physically attractive than Miami or Orlando in my opinion. But Tampa has a great sports scene, Bucs, Rays, Lightning and the beaches are beautiful. Much of the leisure in Tampa revolves around the water, boating, fishing, beach, etc. They also have great festivals, Gasparilla, Guavaween.

Orlando is also great when it comes to nightlife. There is always something going on downtown. On any given weekend tens of thousands head DT to party, all people of all types. That is one of the advantages of downtown nightlife, it's basically all centralized DT. Once you get DT you can easily bar hop from spot to spot by simply walking. If you can't find something that suites your taste in DT Orlando you won't find it in Miami or Tampa either. Alot of daytime activities also take place DT. There never seems to be a lack of arts fest, fairs, cookoffs, boozefests, etc happening on the weekends here. Orlando is about the same size as Tampa but has the amenities of larger cities (shopping and restaurants) due to the large number of visitors here. You can find everything from high end boutiques and shops (Park Ave or Millenia Mall) to some of the best outlet shopping anywhere. And despite what you've heard the food scene here good, very good. If you stay along I-Drive all you'll find is chains and tourists traps but if you head out to Sand Lake, Park Ave, Downtown and the mom and pops places the dining here is good. COL here is comparable to Tampa and cheap compared to the rest of the nation. Orlando does have a more cosmopolitan feel for a city it's size. There is no lack of beautiful people here. But the thing I love best about Orlando is there is ALWAYS something going on. From professional mixers to happy hours to Magic games it seems there always something for a young guy to get involved in. Downtown Orlando is the best Urban environment in FL outside of Southbeach. The drawbacks are that just like Tampa and Miami....URBAN SPRAWL. That translate to traffic and alot of driving. Obviously, unlike the other two areas we do not have a beach. There are many lakes and daytime pool parties but the nearest beach is 45 mins away. Now to be completely fair, unless you live east of 95 in SFL you will drive just as long to get to the beach there. The scene here can also seem small at times. If you keep going to the same places, you will keep seeing the same faces. Overall good scene here that is very diverse and ever evolving.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks and good post, that was very comprehensive, I am actually in Florida now I am in Orlando right now I don't get out much because I am spending time with family So this site is a good research point. I have been to all 3 cities, but living in and visiting are different.This will be my 6th move

I can afford all 3 because I sold my Vancouver canada real estate. But the catch is I need to find work, I am getting more Interviews in orlando I have had 6 so far and one in west palm( wage was too low).

The question is if I take work in Orlando how long should I hold out to wait for a Miami offer( if I get one, the job market is bad I know)

I would prefer Miami, deep down I know this but it may not happen so I need to research alternatives.Would I tire of Miami?

if I lived in Orlando because I am getting more action here job wise can I still enjoy Miami and Tampa? or is it too far that I wont make enough trips down there. I left Canada( dual citizen) to be in a beachy coastal warm city , This is tough to pull off, I cant keep waiting for the perfect Miami/ Tampa job

I have 2 bachelors and an MBA, the job market is brutal, 2 months and 6 interviews rather sucks, most of these are mediocre jobs anyways, so Im holding out for the best I can find

If I stayed in orlando would I regret not waiting longer for a Miami tampa job? I really want the beach, but Im getting no job calls. if I stayed in Orlando would it meet my needs, I want to buy a condo downtown cash( I have researched real estate and visited condos in all 3 cities), and then sell years from now when the market eventually recovers, so I have allot to think about

not sure what to do many variables here

Last edited by Swan Dive; 03-09-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM

45 posts, read 78,119 times
Swan, Being a younger 30s male in Orlando I can only agree with everything Crane's Rooster has posted but add that I love going to Miami (and rarely but sometimes, Tampa). It is a fantastic weekend get away that a LOT of people from Orlando do often. Many own 2nd homes there.

I can have the best time ever in Miami for the weekend but after a few days of the high paced, high priced life, its alway nice to return home to Orlando. Miami is a fantastic place to visit (love the culture there), I'm just not all that sure I personally would want to be in the hustle of it every day.

And you MUST speak Spanish to survive.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
I don't think you would be "settling" to take a job here. As far as enjoying the beach and Miami it is all very doable. Miami is 3 hr drive and the beach is 45 mins to Coco and 1 hr to Tampa. If you can't have exactly what you want, this is not a bad place considering you're in the center of the state and can easily take weekend trips to Miami and day trips to the beach. As Steve said, people do it all the time, myself included.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
I've lived in Miami and Orlando (but have only visited Tampa), and I think the previous poster gave a great overview of all three. It sounds kind of like you'd prefer Miami maybe? While it certainly can be pricey to go to the clubs on southbeach there are also plenty of smaller places that aren't as bad. If you live in the Miami Brickell/Downtown area you can go to Coconut Grove just as easily as South Beach and that has quite a few young single types without quite the bling factor of South Beach.

Also just another thing I learned while living in Miami (and you probably already know this, but it bears repeating). Living out on the beach area and living in one of the communities inland makes for a world of difference in quality of life. On the beach you can walk/bike to just about anything you'd ever need, whereas a house/condo 4 miles inland is going to lead to tons and tons of time spent in the car. In your situation I'd definitely want to be somewhere I can walk to the nightlife and the beach. Best of luck with your interviews and whatever you decide to do.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

24 posts, read 61,032 times
I'm a 30 yr old single guy and I don't speak Spanish and I live in Miami. I'm moving to Orlando. South Beach is a great place to visit (party & beach), but to have it in your backyard? I personally am not too crazy about it. The kind of party scene there gets old if you live here for long enough. There are a lot college kids and tourists there. Girls are gorgeous though. But often times you would see a line of hot young women in front of a nightclub waiting to get in, they look like million dollars, then you pay closer attention to the topic of their conversation and realize it's either about school/classes/tests or drama. A lot of college kids here have rich background and they do not hesitate to drop a grand or two a night just to party. I know quite a few of them personally. It is a single guy's heaven if you have $ and are not cheap. Personally I think Miami is a lot like Vegas. Just because you have a great time there doesn't mean it's the greatest place to live considering all else. And people aren't kidding about expensive drinks. $7-$10 beer and $12-$15 mixed drinks are the norm on the beach. Meals under $25/person are considered cheap.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys, one more thing, how important is Spanish to live in Miami? is it that important? I speak english and some french being from Canada.I mean I hear that it is all the time but since I only visit I keep thinking " it cant be that big of a deal"

Please Remember I have only visited twice. If I worked somewhere and lived at Miami beach or Aventura would that work good for me language wise? or is that not likely.

if I got a job there would future jobs ( assuming I changed jobs) limited due to the lack of Spanish? and thusly would I be cornered? career-wise down there?

Is Miami Beach in reality a tourist spot thats it? and not a place that you actually live, are most people down there tourists with few people actually living there?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear lika ghost View Post
I'm a 30 yr old single guy and I don't speak Spanish and I live in Miami. I'm moving to Orlando. South Beach is a great place to visit (party & beach), but to have it in your backyard? I personally am not too crazy about it. The kind of party scene there gets old if you live here for long enough. There are a lot college kids and tourists there. Girls are gorgeous though. But often times you would see a line of hot young women in front of a nightclub waiting to get in, they look like million dollars, then you pay closer attention to the topic of their conversation and realize it's either about school/classes/tests or drama. A lot of college kids here have rich background and they do not hesitate to drop a grand or two a night just to party. I know quite a few of them personally. It is a single guy's heaven if you have $ and are not cheap. Personally I think Miami is a lot like Vegas. Just because you have a great time there doesn't mean it's the greatest place to live considering all else. And people aren't kidding about expensive drinks. $7-$10 beer and $12-$15 mixed drinks are the norm on the beach. Meals under $25/person are considered cheap.
did you get tired of Miami? why did you decide to move?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM

24 posts, read 61,032 times
Depends on the type of job you get. Let me put it this way: not knowing Spanish here is a disadvantage since a good 80% (my guess, it could be higher) of the population here speaks it. Unless your job does not require you to open your mouth... haha I mean, besides work, I lived here without knowing Spanish just fine. It's still the US after all, it just doesn't feel quite like it sometimes.

I am moving to Orlando by choice. To me it's a more relaxed environment, and I can still find everything I need there. Unless you live close to the beach or work by the beach in Miami, between Monday and Friday, you won't catch much day light after work (if you get off at 5pm or later) if you try to go to the beach. You will most likely be stuck in traffic or be looking for a place to park. Miami traffic makes Orlando seem rather tolerable.

One other thing about Miami. I used to live in Michigan and I enjoy driving to places (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto and even New York, Boston and cities in the northeast). Living in Miami makes driving to places kind of hard. 3-4 hrs to Orlando, 3-4 hrs to Tampa, at least 6 hrs just to get out of Florida going up I-95, or 10 hrs or so to New Orleans, 10+ hrs to Atlanta.... and once you are out of FL, you are still HOURS (if not half a day) away from anything exciting or different. Sure there are cruises to the Caribbeans, and Key West can be a day trip (another tourist trap but fun regardless).

I have asked many people from central and south America and they absolutely love Miami because it reminds them of home, in an American (more upscale) way. That's exactly what it is.

Last edited by disappear lika ghost; 03-09-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando