Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 61,994 times

Advertisements

I am from Utah, looking to move to Orlando and don't know much about the area other than researching on my own online and a couple of trips to Disney World. Not real helpful :P I have two kids, one of which will be in first grade this coming school year. This freaks me out seeing as I've heard Florida schools aren't so great....

I guess I just really need some good advice of some nice, safe, family-friendly areas to look at. I originally looked at Winter Springs, hearing that it was the better area for schools (like Rainbow Elementary), but was kinda disappointed when I saw mostly older homes... Other places I've looked at were near that same area, but then again, I just need more information.

Any recommendations on good neighborhoods and schools?? Thank you so much in advance! I'm feeling overwhelmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 163,220 times
Dana...

A lot of this will depend on the area in which you work - the commute you're willing to make, etc.
The greater Orlando area is spread out over a large area of central FL.
I'm sure folks on this board would be happy to help if you could just narrow it down a little...haha!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Okay.... you are totally right :P haha Well, I know it is a huge area, but I kind of have the convience of choosing where I'd like to live. Orlando will be where work is, it is a home healthcare opportunity, so traveling the Orlando area. But I'd rather not live *right there as I know most people don't. I have kinda looked into the area of Seminole County for schools.. but I have also heard that Orange County isn't too bad either. So basically any cities within that vast span is open for suggestion :P Like I said, I've looked at Winter Springs, and all the little cities right around there. And really? I just need somebody to spell it out to me :P Suggestions from locals, or people familiar with the area. Because *obviously, I am *not :P Commute time ideally would be 30 minutes max.

Is that any better? Or not really? :P

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
The best areas of Orlando are generally considered to be Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, and Lake Mary/Heathrow. Other good areas include Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Oviedo, and parts of Winter Garden. There are others, but these come to mind first. A lot will depend on your budget.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Thank you. I am looking at 150K to 300K home range. I'm also wondering what constitues "best".... safe? good schools? What is the diversity among people? young families? retirees? Just trying to get a good grasp on what to look for before I go check it all out myself in person, which I am planning on doing. Just don't want to go in driving around blind. Need more facts...

Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
The first four places I mentioned have the best schools and are all very safe. These are the more upscale areas of Orlando but with your price range (particularly the higher end), you'll be able to find something nice. My personal favorite areas are Dr. Phillips and Windermere (very family oriented, with lots of amenities and entertainment nearby) and there are some great deals there for homes. You can always use City-Data's database to check the demographics of these areas to find what suits you best.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you so much! I will have to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando